Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heel-Toe Driving
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
ToYCeLi8
Well now that winter is here I'm pretty sure that a lot of you are out there in the snow or rain drifting pulling the ebrake and all.

So my question is, if anyone here can HEEL-TOE?? I've tried it a lot of times in my car and it seems like the gas is a little low so its makes it more difficult! I can actually heel-toe better in my 4runner than my celica. Is there a way i can adjust the gas or brake pedal to move it up or down? OR can the people that can do it give me some tips on how they do it?

Any info would help. ANd have fun but be safe!!

David
idriveatruckWTF
Yeh, someone explain what this guy is talking about.
Uppitycracker
QUOTE (idriveatruckWTF @ Dec 7, 2003 - 2:54 PM)

I think its were you are hitting the brake with your toes and hitting the gas with your heal in a turn, its part of the drifting technique, you'll see on those import drifting videos they will have cameras of there feet and show how they heal toe.

Basically so you can be slowing down in a turn while bringing the ass end out to drift it.
Coomer
I had a hard time doing it in my Celica a while ago when I actually had it, so I think I'm going to buy new pedals soon so that I can do this. smile.gif
ghostdog
QUOTE (Coomer @ Dec 7, 2003 - 5:29 PM)
I had a hard time doing it in my Celica a while ago when I actually had it, so I think I'm going to buy new pedals soon so that I can do this. smile.gif

yup, I'm still not very good at it, but the autovation pedals helped a whole lot. smile.gif
Uppitycracker
Does it work with front wheel drive?
0Re0
Too much option video eh? biggrin.gif
ToYCeLi8

LMAO!!.... I knew i would get at least one person asking what this was.

Anyway i think the heel-toe CAN ONLY be used on RWD cars cuz thats how u get the rear 2 drift right?? But for FWD cars then it would just be e-brake??

David
97sccelica
QUOTE (ToYCeLi8 @ Dec 7, 2003 - 4:42 PM)

Anyway i think the heel-toe CAN ONLY be used on RWD cars cuz thats how u get the rear 2 drift right?? But for FWD cars then it would just be e-brake??

David

heel toe shifting is not just for rwd cars and drifting

it is used to keep a turbo spooling even through a turn or when slowing down.

its a combination of braking, accelerating, and shift in order to make the car faster through handling.

for example, WRC drivers use it to keep the boost up and to control the weight shift of the car in a turn.

that being said, i have heard its hard to do in the 6gc because of the pedal placement.
ghostdog
QUOTE (ToYCeLi8 @ Dec 7, 2003 - 7:42 PM)

David

the purpose of heel-toe shifting is so you don't upset the balance of the car. this is most useful for rwd cars but can apply to fwd as well. check out this link for more info >>>

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_heeltoe.lasso
slipgun
yeah ive been trying too... Just doesnt seem to work well in our celis, the gas too low even though i got aftermarket pedals, mine dont work for it frown.gif
boosted_K2
heel-toeing isnt just for RWD cars. heel toeing is an effective way to downshift while keeping the revs up and eleviates the time needed between braking and shifting by doing both things at once. i was getting pretty good at it with the celica, and even heeltoed in the 180 turn on our autocross pretty effectively... but i have to re-teach myself in the MR2 because the pedal feel is alot different. and yes, heeltoeing is very effective for drifting because it allows you to downshift at a higher RPM, effectively breaking the rear wheels loose earlier.
boosted_K2
the goal is to be able to do some moderate drifting in the 2... need somewhere to practice though tongue.gif
LatinKraze
Damn gas pedal placement didnt do much for me either, thank you e-brake!!!
RedSunCelica
If you have a wide foot like me you can reach the brake with one sideof your foot and then tap the gas with the other side of your foot. takes lots of practice so just be patient
anubis
yeah...its not just for drifting and its for any manual tranny car...

look at it like this...

4500rpm in 3rd gear. step on clutch. downshift to 2nd. let go of clutch.

feel that jerking motion that makes you want to throw up spills the morning coffee all over your brand new khakis?

well rev matching eliminates this. heel toe is more of a deceleration technique. it utilizes rev matching to eliminate the jerking and sudden weight transfers that are undesirable...and heel toe is a way to use the tranny and engine for added braking power.

i cant heel-toe in the celica but i revmatch the downshift and its become habit.

but i can heel-toe in the 240sx.

practice rev matching first so you will know where the rpm match and meet throughout all the gears. im my experience 3000+rpms in 3rd is hardest to downshift. i have to rev it to 4200 and then let the clutch go in second.

i would practice on the freeway first going from 5th to 4th. then once you get comfortable and fast with it. take to a red light.
7aek
i can do it on my celi. matter of fact i go driftin with my friends. they have 240's, mr2, what not. i have a very wide accel pedal and i use sneakers.

accelerate preferably over 3rd or 4th gear. step on the brake. while letting go off the brake a lil bit, step on the clutch and with ur heel tap the accel. and downshift. start to turn pull the brake while ur keepin ur foot on the accel. then u'll feel ur rear losing grip. turn ur wheel the opposite way u first turned ur wheel. and there u hab it. FWD DORIFTO~~~~. doesnt look as fancy as rwd drifts but it's good enough to hab a lotta fun. hope it helps
ToYCeLi8
QUOTE (RedSunCelica @ Dec 8, 2003 - 5:15 PM)
If you have a wide foot like me you can reach the brake with one sideof your foot and then tap the gas with the other side of your foot. takes lots of practice so just be patient

I kinda have a wide foot and can do that too. But i really wanna heel-toe instead.

Oh and Ive been revmatching my car within 2 months after I started driving. So thats not a problem. A little different after the swap but not a big deal.

David
doGGy
he he, i think i will be the only persone here who is learning how to brake with left leg smile.gif it is almost the same as Heel-toe driving smile.gif It was very hard to use my left leg for braking but after few weeks of practice (on clear road offcorse) now it is getting better and better... And all i can say that sometimes people just ask IS YOUR CAR RWD?? Cuz i can slide into the corner if the reaction and trajectory is good wink.gif Its kinda fun smile.gif
boosted_K2
QUOTE (doGGy @ Dec 9, 2003 - 9:37 AM)
he he, i think i will be the only persone here who is learning how to brake with left leg smile.gif it is almost the same as Heel-toe driving smile.gif It was very hard to use my left leg for braking but after few weeks of practice (on clear road offcorse) now it is getting better and better... And all i can say that sometimes people just ask IS YOUR CAR RWD?? Cuz i can slide into the corner if the reaction and trajectory is good wink.gif Its kinda fun smile.gif

left foot braking! w00t nice doggy!
doGGy
He he smile.gif I started to learn this cuz in celica Heel-toe driving is nearly imposoble smile.gif
boosted_K2
i dont get why so many people think heel-toe is so hard... it just takes alot of practice and getting used to the pedal feel. i cant wait till i get it down in the 2!
BlackSTX
I've got an auto so I don't use my left foot anyway, so I'm gonna try using my left foot like Doggy is.
snadman
Wouldn't it make more sense to have ur heel on the brake and toe on the gas...considering the facts that:
1) your gas pedal is farther back than brake...so
2) and your foot stretches easier if u extend ur foot twoards your toe inseatd of backwards. I dunno, guess it just seems easier for me anyways...otherwise i feel like im twisting my foot and it feels stupid.
boosted_K2
the break is finessed though, thats what controls the cars momentum, therefore you have more control over the toes of your foot, so you toe the brake, the gas pedal can be jammed on more or less and you just need to learn to match your shift with the motor sound, then you can ease back on the gas as you let of the clutch. you finesse the brake, and blip the gas.
SiKBOY
heal-toe in the Celica is not too hard. just need some practice. its easier to just brake with one side of your foot and kind of roll your foot onto the accelerator to give it some gas.
When Im full on racing on the track or driving hard, I have to heal-toe in the Celica because on every down shift, I hit the floor with the accelerator when I blip it. If you think heal-toe in the celica is hard, try it on a beamer. I nearly pulled a hamstring trying to hit the gas.
ToYCeLi8
QUOTE (doGGy @ Dec 9, 2003 - 7:37 AM)

"Aw, he's using left foot braking technique. You don't use that technique with FR cars very often, but you can use your left foot for braking for sensitive control at the limit. FF cars like the {st204} experience understeering, when you step on the gas pedal. They use the left foot braking while depressing the gas pedal to lessen the rear load to stay on the ideal path. Its an advanced technique. If he used the he must be a really good FF driver. He must be very fast. He's fast." - Initial D

I don't remember what the hell that guys name is, nor could i find a pic of who he is, but its the Manager of the gas station. Tach's, Iggy's, and Coal's boss. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

David
boosted_K2
haha nice quote of initialD, BUT i have to disagree with it at a small level. it is not necessarily an "advanced" technique, its more of a way for someone whos to heavy on the gas through a turning to save them selves from becoming wall paint. unless you are too heavy on the brake and lock those rear suckers up, then you still end up wall paint tongue.gif i guess its a technical skill, but its more of a skill for someone who has a hard time controling weight distrobution and throttle response.
ToYCeLi8
QUOTE (boosted_K2 @ Dec 10, 2003 - 8:23 PM)
haha nice quote of initialD, BUT i have to disagree with it at a small level. it is not necessarily an "advanced" technique, its more of a way for someone whos to heavy on the gas through a turning to save them selves from becoming wall paint. unless you are too heavy on the brake and lock those rear suckers up, then you still end up wall paint tongue.gif i guess its a technical skill, but its more of a skill for someone who has a hard time controling weight distrobution and throttle response.

haha.... tongue.gif

Sweet

David
Digndoug
QUOTE (boosted_K2 @ Dec 11, 2003 - 3:23 AM)

dude, yes its is... and watch drifting video's.like the drifting bible, Well that ans our cars are not drifters, just like there not race cars or rally cars and off road, well do what ever...
NEVERSTOP
I think it's funny that drifting is finally gettin popular over here.. I remember driftin im my 80 cadialac 5-6 years ago.. me and a few friends all had big old hoopties and we would go out late at night and drift in parkin lots with em.. it was great and non of them where very nice cars so we didnt car at all if we hit each other or poles or whatever.. personally I would never drift in my celica but wouldnt mind gettin a 240 biggrin.gif

BTW you guys can adjust your pedals heights wink.gif
LatinKraze
Dude, How can we adjust pedal heights?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.