Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official "custom" exhaust thread
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
GriffGirl
^ That looks like a great setup. What'd that run you if you don't mind my asking? I've got a muffler set aside already, (IDK exactly what kind it is, it actually looks very similar to what you've got there) but the piping you've got there looks like what's probably the best choice.
95CelicaST
it was actually free, but only because i had paid for the system, and the shop did a bad job on it, so i brought it back and told them to fix it, which ended up getting an entire catback fabricated again. that setup initially cost me around $330 dollars for parts and labor. since i didnt want them welding straight to the muffler i got two giant hose clamps (the ones you tighten with a flathead) and they fabricated the mounting bracket on that.

sorry for the lack of proper punctuation. i'm on my cell phone right now.
soulshadow
A pro wielder will actually use an exhaust clamp that was made for your round cannons. vs wielding on the muffler to hang it up which will eventually lead to rust and a hole in your muffler. Straight pipes do not count for a muffler unless you want to go deaf.
imper
I havent heard to many people talking about the difference on GTs. I got a 94 gt and thinking of going with the obx b10 with a aero resonator from the cat. 2.5"

Is there any difference between 2.5" and 2.0"?
92-gt
Right now on my 92 I have an ebay header(which deleted my cat) and stock piping from there back to a "noir style" muffler, which is black, has a 2.5" inlet, and a 3 inch tip. I like it because it has a nice deep tone, with a stock look.

I have a nice little exhaust leak near my flex pipe, so I think once I fix that, it will sound really good, and I will get a sound clip for you guys.
bdawgbp1
QUOTE (bseaman_5 @ Jan 22, 2009 - 10:04 AM) *
all celi's have 2 cats. at least mine did i'm on obviously not from cali. One in the header and one on the exhaust, and the ebay header removes the first cat since you are removing the stock manifold. And yeah with a stock exhaust it does sound a lil ricey..

I beg to differ - I have a 94 GT coupe, Fed/Canadian emissions and all I had was 1 cat bolted on the end of the exhaust manifold. I replaced that setup with the 4-1 race header from seller surewinproducts on ebay. I'm still running stock exhaust and does not sound ricey at all. It actually sounds pretty good. The way mine is with stock exhaust is header-flex pipe-resonator-muffler. I'm actually getting ready to run 2.5" stainless all the way back with an Aero AR20 resonator and a Megan Racing M-Spec II muffler (carbon fiber). Anybody know of a better muffler/resonator setup. I thought about the Aero Turbine 2540i instead of the MR M-Spec. I'm open to suggestions - I don't mind a loud exhaust as my stereo system will probably droen out the exhaust anyway.
Blk94St
i finally got time to get around to this. im gettin 2.25 piping with a 12''magnaflow resonator (should be here tomorrow) to a dynomax muffler.

my question is cat or no cat?

i want that kind of deep tone not raspy.

If any of you would please give me some advice on this because it is either going to the shoop tomorrow or monday.
Akirad1
id go for a high flow cat
Blk94St
that isn't am option to me at this point I want to eventually. but for right now no cat or leave the cat? sorry for spelling I'm on my phone
Akirad1
well do you have to worry about emessions, if not dont wory but if you do cat is a must
Blk94St
any idea how much louder and what effect it'd have on the sound?
BonzaiCelica
well the set up i had when i got my headers installed was i took out the old cat and went straight pipe. And lemme tell you, sounded like crap. Then put magnaflow high flow cat and sounded nice. Now its still a little raspy but only in 1st and 2nd gear after 4k. So once i get magnaflow resonator (or if its even called a resonator from what another member said) it will be a perfect set up i think.

I called muffler shop and they told me to choose between a 18 inch or a 14 inch resonator. is there a 12" magnaflow resonator??
Blk94St
but wow man those magnaflow cats work wonders and I'm going to get one in the future
Blk94St
sure is a 12 inch. I ordered it from ace's the same guy who put flowmasters on my old mustang but see I'm going same pipe route as factory and i.ll have stock header magnaflow resonator and muffler.

it maw have been 14 if maw have just gotten confused
BonzaiCelica
if you have stock headers, leave the post cat on (the one under the car) and it should sound good smile.gif
Blk94St
the cat by the bottom of the header or the second one and where should the magnaflow resonator be mounted at
BonzaiCelica
Since i live in CA, emission laws are very strice over here obviously cause population of CA is so big.

The pre cat (other wise known as the cat converter that is inside of your stock headers) and then theres the post cat (the one that sits under your car.

When i installed ebay headers i obviously took out stock headers, which then in turn took out the main cat converter. (so next time i go to do smog i wont pass).

Your doing a cat back exhaust system, so that means you can either take out the post cat (one under your car, which i advise not to take out, but ask exhuast shop to see what their opinion is.)

The resonator goes right before your dynomax muffler.

get some pics of your car on your profile!!
Blk94St
thanks man oh how close to the muffler? and I just got another camera ha no idea where my other one went. I ask how close because if I don't like the muffler I'm gettin an obx

oh if the pre cat is connected to the header how difficult is it to remove
Blk94St
and if I get a magnaflow cat? could ya give me a run of what I need? and for right now would I run 2.25 pipe from header to post cat
Spider77
I'm not too sure you'd want to remove the "pre-cat", with all the work that would be involved manufacturing some new pipes and installing, it might be cheaper to get the ebay headers. The easiest thing would be to run the cat back (which is from the "post" cat and back). Its simple, run 2.25-2.5 pipes (mandrel bent pref), from your post cat (which you can either replace with an OEM, Aftermarket, or High Flow...or just remove, that would depend on your emission regs from your state), to your resonator (again, can replace) then to your muffler.
The main reason why I recommend you dont mess with the pre cat is if you do decide to remove it, and take it to a shop, they may not help you out as your tampering with emissions stuff. But if you know someone who can do it and your dead set on doing it, go for it.
BonzaiCelica
just use the edit button if you want to add to your comment, i guess ur not supposed to post up on the same topic two times in a day.

alright sounds good. i have to get a vid of my set up on this. I'll record the exhaust sound with the camera pointing at my exhaust, and then a drive by from 1st through 3rd. except 3rd tops out at 85mph (speed limit on freeway is 65mph and i wont be filming on the freeway). So some of the members that are in charge of closing posts and warn people of misusing the forums, will tell me that we dont want to advertise any sorta racing. so i'll get permission to see if doing a drive by until the end of 3rd gear is ok.
Blk94St
thanks. i.ll run from the post back for now. I despise exhaust that's way too loud and raspy and I don't want mine like that. i.ll put a clip of it up when it's done
Blk94St
I finally got my exhaust on. got pictures before and after and a video i.ll post up later. have stock header pre cat post cat magnaflow 12 inch resonator to dynomax muffler not that love though but it does have a deep tone. would a high flow cat fix this? it gets raspy around 4800 rpm's but that's find I don't usually ldu it get that high

^^^^ Scratch that here are pictures

bseaman_5
Well its been a long time coming but I'm finally getting my exhaust clip up here hopefully it does my exhaust justice, I've only been able to hear it on my camera ha ha

Custom 2.5" exhaust, header back, 2 AR25 AeroTurbine Resonators, and a Borla XR1 Muffler
AnaXyd
Do i need a resonator with the Megan Racing N1 muffler?

And, is it a good muffler? smile.gif
bseaman_5
QUOTE (AnaXyd @ Mar 13, 2009 - 1:26 PM) *
Do i need a resonator with the Megan Racing N1 muffler?

And, is it a good muffler? smile.gif

Resonators are on your own discression. From what I've heard that is a good muffler, don't know from experience. I wasn't running any resonators and after a few months i couldn't take it any longer, I now have 2. And it's still pretty loud, definitely no rasp anymore tho. You might run into rasp without a resonator.

and what are your plans for your exhaust?? full exhaust? what size?
AnaXyd
I am planning just to change my stock muffler with a new muffler which makes a bit more tasty sound. I have no plans to do a full cat back yet, so my plan is to try a muffler before I am doing more changes. I have a stock ST, so I think the size of the exhaust pipes is around 1,75"?
Blk94St
my personal opinion man get the muddle and save with two acts and that factory denser it won't be that loud I got my piping done for 60 even and got the muffler for like 12 bucks at pull a part. and 31 bucks for the resonator
bseaman_5
QUOTE (AnaXyd @ Mar 13, 2009 - 5:18 PM) *
I am planning just to change my stock muffler with a new muffler which makes a bit more tasty sound. I have no plans to do a full cat back yet, so my plan is to try a muffler before I am doing more changes. I have a stock ST, so I think the size of the exhaust pipes is around 1,75"?

In my opinion don't bother getting a different muffler if you aren't going to do the exhaust... I got my exhaust done for 110 full header back exhaust. I later bought the resonators so in the long run it cost quite a bit but it can be very affordable if you shop around.. The muffler you will get will more than likely have an inlet larger than 1.75" so you will have to get someone to weld it on anyway.. I would suggest going w a 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust and get it over with... Just my opinion...
relyks95gt
ilike header back 2.5, no cat ,one maybe two res.,to the muffler and it should sound good
BonzaiCelica
here just a short clip of my exhaust sounds. ill get a better vid once i get clutch and gasket installed in about 3 weeks

Spider77

Finally got them in! Magnaflow resonator and street series muffler! Cant wait to get them installed, hopefully thursday!
Akirad1
that looks beautiful
Spider77
Just wait to hear how it sounds.
Spider77
I know this is gonna sound motarded, I should really run under axle, right?
Akirad1
if the exhaust shop can do it run it like stock but if not under is fine too and less bends in the exhaust
bdawgbp1
Hey looks nice! biggrin.gif I just got my Aero Turbine 2540i muffler and AR25 resonator a few days ago and my 2.5" stainless pipe just got delivered today. Man I cannot wait to get this put together - unfortunately my cashflow has been dwindled down by repairs to my other 3 vehicles so it will probably be a few weeks before I can get it installed. I'll take some pics in and try to have posted in a couple days of the stuff - looks beautiful. One question though - how critical is it to have the stainless pipe mandrel bent? I've called every exhaust shop around within 50 miles of where I live and no one does mandrel bending - I couldn't believe it. Will it affect the performance or sound? Also my original exhaust design was to have all pieces bolted together using flanges (the downpipe, resonator pipe, and muffler pipe all separate pieces with flanges) so at anytime I could unbolt a section and replace it without having to cut and weld. Is this a good design or would I be better off just having it all welded together as a "one piece" system from the downpipe back? Thanks for the input and again those are some nice pics - I always did like Magnaflow. smile.gif
92-gt
I am going to have my exhaust done in a couple weeks at the most. It isnt going to be anything super special, but it will give it a nice tone, and still help power a bit. I have a 4-2-1 header on its way, which will get rid of the first cat, and I have a muffler for it. I am leaving the 2nd cat and resonator as well. I dont want it to be overly loud, but I do want a little bit of a tone.

I will post pictures and a video when I get everything.
Spider77
Finally got it on. OK ,sounds good, except for that damn exhaust leak bu the flex pipe is allowing the gasses to escape before it can hit the muffler. Im sure once I get that fixed It'll sound real good. Right now though it has that real deep tone, I like it.
bdawgbp1
QUOTE (bdawgbp1 @ Apr 13, 2009 - 9:13 PM) *
Hey looks nice! biggrin.gif I just got my Aero Turbine 2540i muffler and AR25 resonator a few days ago and my 2.5" stainless pipe just got delivered today. Man I cannot wait to get this put together - unfortunately my cashflow has been dwindled down by repairs to my other 3 vehicles so it will probably be a few weeks before I can get it installed. I'll take some pics in and try to have posted in a couple days of the stuff - looks beautiful. One question though - how critical is it to have the stainless pipe mandrel bent? I've called every exhaust shop around within 50 miles of where I live and no one does mandrel bending - I couldn't believe it. Will it affect the performance or sound? Also my original exhaust design was to have all pieces bolted together using flanges (the downpipe, resonator pipe, and muffler pipe all separate pieces with flanges) so at anytime I could unbolt a section and replace it without having to cut and weld. Is this a good design or would I be better off just having it all welded together as a "one piece" system from the downpipe back? Thanks for the input and again those are some nice pics - I always did like Magnaflow. smile.gif

Well finally got some pictures of my new exhaust - haven't had it installed yet though - hopefully within the next month. I'm still having problems finding a shop that does mandrel bending. I have a couple of links below to clips of how my exhaust sounds now (ebay header with factory exhaust piping,resonator, and muffler). It actually sounds better than in the clips (the clips were taken with my GE 7.0MP digital camera).

Exhaust Clip 1
Exhaust Clip 2
BonzaiCelica
hey spider 77 how long is that magnaflow resonator???
Spider77
Yeah, its nice. Its still hard to judge how nice cause I have yet to get my exhaust leak (rusted flange on the flex pipe) and most of it is shooting out before it hits the cat back. Although currently it has a smooth deep tone, just not as loud as some people like it. I had one guy in his civic tell me that he didnt like it cause it wasnt loud, then he drove off in his weedwacker.
Temporary-Failure
QUOTE (Spider77 @ Apr 30, 2009 - 5:17 PM) *
Yeah, its nice. Its still hard to judge how nice cause I have yet to get my exhaust leak (rusted flange on the flex pipe) and most of it is shooting out before it hits the cat back. Although currently it has a smooth deep tone, just not as loud as some people like it. I had one guy in his civic tell me that he didnt like it cause it wasnt loud, then he drove off in his weedwacker.

Could you tell product numbers for those magnaflows? If those sounds good, then I now which models to buy wink.gif
silverceli09
i just recently got my custom exhaust done. 2.25" piping WITH NO CAT. yeah i said it, no cat. And a MagnaFlow race series muffler. and it sounds wonderful. it has a very nice deep tone and a slight ricey crackle. sounds different from any other cars around here so i'm very happy with it. i'm waiting on my header right now, should be in this week hopefully.
BonzaiCelica
oh so you have original header right. ya no wonder why it sounds good. Once you install the new header that you bought it will sound ricey gauranteed. You better get a high flow cat and then maybe a resonator depending on how your exhaust sounds.
Spider77
QUOTE (Temporary-Failure @ Jun 10, 2009 - 2:38 AM) *
QUOTE (Spider77 @ Apr 30, 2009 - 5:17 PM) *

Could you tell product numbers for those magnaflows? If those sounds good, then I now which models to buy wink.gif

Honestly, I cant remember the P/N, but the resonators are pretty much for the piping size ( 2.5, 2..25, etc...)
FunkySR
7afte in a tunnel

my Celica, and Evo and a Tibby Turbo. Watch the whole clip....quite windy.
RUNNIN-LOW
here is mines at a stand still.

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g22/miss...nt=MOV05453.flv
Nartanian
QUOTE (RUNNIN-LOW @ Jun 11, 2009 - 7:46 PM) *

ooh is it just me or do I hear turbo? tongue.gif
silverceli09
i got my header on today smile.gif and i love the new sound it gives my car. now we start saving for 5sfte project. oh yeah
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.