Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Progression of KAOS
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
KAOS
I've made so much progress in the past few weeks with my car (thanks mostly to local board members) that I thought I would jump on the band wagon & start my progress thread too.

This thread, just like the car; is a work in progress. tongue.gif

My Car was purchased back in 2006 and was meant to be a project car right away, but unfortunately I was busy with my career at the time and she was quickly neglected.

1994 Celica GT-S w/ ~224K kms on it (approx 139187 miles)

Interior was in great condition, nothing special done to it...

Exterior was in decent shape, except for the driverside fender, which was mashed in, punched back out, and rattle canned. The most unique feature of this car, was the dual exhaust.

Dual Exhaust Sound/Video Clip

KAOS
Then I caught the mod bug.

The first modification I did, was to upgrade to the JDM Taillights.

The company I worked for at the time was nice enough to give me a vehicle for personal & work use, so the Celica was parked for the better part of 3 years.

In 2007, I was promoted and moved to Calgary Alberta to work for the companies Corporate office.

That's when I met WALKER and the rest of the 6GC members from that time.

(I had also just purchased the 7th Gen rims the day before this picture was taken)

KAOS
After becoming more comfortable with the 6GC, and where to source parts from... I had the mod bug baaaaad:

In 2008; I purchased my first suspension mods; Tanabe D210 Lowering Springs & a GT-Four Rear Strut Bar:

And in 2009 decided to spice up the interior...

From this:

To this:

aaaaand somewhere in there a 7th Gen Short Throw Shifter was installed... smile.gif

Also purchased some headers, a cooling panel and Hotwires spark plug wires:

Before:

During:

And After:

KAOS
Later that summer I managed to get my hands on a set of Custom Projectors w/ Clear lenses (from Rayme via WALKER)

I had to tear them apart and rebuild them myself as the brackets were loose and the projectors would bounce around inside the housings. I also took this opportunity to mount some Halo rings onto the projectors as well.

It was also around this time that I installed the JDM rain guards JDM Rear Visor & removed the amber piece from the JDM Taillights.
I decided to try a little tint as well to match the CF License Bezel:

After the headers were installed and the stock cat was removed - I could no longer stand the sound of my exhaust... so I took it in to get modified.

To this:

The sound is much better, but I do miss the unique-ness of the dual exhaust... tongue.gif

Then the worst happened... the timing belt snapped mid-commute one day. IIRC it was around the same time I was installing the projectors, etc. I can't seem to find any pictures of that event, but long story short; with the help of WALKER & ZenAutoworks I was able to tear apart the engine, replace the timing belt & Water pump and then redo all the seals on my way in/out.

The car was back on the road again!! Yay! But at the end of the fall season in 2009, the clutch went, and left me stranded again at the side of the road. Not just 500KMs after I just finished the timing belt!! Argh!

So the car has been parked since then; waiting to roll again and finally this year I was able to make some progress with it again. (Busy/Cold 2010 year)
KAOS
My 3rd gear had always given me grief while shifting, so I decided to get a whole new bell housing/tranny along with a temp clutch and pressure plate.

In the prep process I was a little distracted and decided to test fit some new body panels. (ie 404 Skirts, JDM fenders, and ST205 hood) tongue.gif

This past weeks worth of work revealed the problem with the clutch;

DESTROYED

See the link in my signature "Project- Tranny Swap" for more details...

But this brings us up to date so far in my progress (or lack-thereof, LOL laugh.gif ) and this is how she sits until I can get back underneath her...

Resurfaced Flywheel ready to install, lightened and machined down...

Hope you enjoyed so far, and I will update when more work is done...

Thanks!
delusionz
I love your Celica, especially your dash
mak5603
Great project, very unique! I look forward to updates in this thread.
whatthe
C-ONE !!!!!!! Hell-yeh!
KAOS
QUOTE (whatthe @ May 21, 2011 - 9:19 PM) *
C-ONE !!!!!!! Hell-yeh!

Riiiiight!? I cant wait to get it done and mounted!!

... So pumped!
NYp8tBaller07
how loud is the exhaust from inside the car at around 3,000 rpm?
KAOS
The new exhaust, or the old dual exhaust?
NYp8tBaller07
new exhaust
KAOS
QUOTE (NYp8tBaller07 @ May 21, 2011 - 11:17 PM) *
new exhaust

I'll be completely honest with you; the car has been sitting for so long that I don't really remember what the sound was like kindasad.gif

I do remember that the dual had an amazing sound at 3000 smile.gif

The new exhaust is a little quieter, even with the headers, but its more of a deeper throaty sound, IIRC.
NYp8tBaller07
also whats the outlet size on the new muffler?
KAOS
2.5" in -> 3" out I believe.
NYp8tBaller07
I love your new exhaust and am going to do the same but with a little mor tilt to it so thats why im asking so many questions
SupraKid
As I was looking at the clutch picture I thought to myself "wtf, it looks fin..O ****" Thats quite a skill to do that to the spring. Looks great man, this will be one of the few builds ill be sure to follow!!
KAOS
QUOTE (SupraKid @ May 22, 2011 - 11:53 PM) *
As I was looking at the clutch picture I thought to myself "wtf, it looks fin..O ****" Thats quite a skill to do that to the spring. Looks great man, this will be one of the few builds ill be sure to follow!!

LOL - yeah this picture might have been better to post:

As soon as WALKER removed the pressure plate, the spring fell out. kindasad.gif
NYp8tBaller07
I remember my uncles turbo rx7 ripped the metal from the pucks on his clutch
SupraKid
Cool story bro
johnyboy1976
do like a nice yellow 6 - my mrs has one

KAOS
OMG - those are sexy 6's mate.

Where did your wife get that bonnet from? RTP? (yellowchinaman) kinda looks like his product.

I wants it over here on mine car, but thats a lot of coin for me. tongue.gif

Thanks for sharing those pics tho! Very nice!
johnyboy1976
Yer the cf bonnet is off Ray - as is the lip
Just need to finish it off with a cf rear spoiler and mirror covers as it has a cf rear number plate surround on the way
Also thinking of a cf rear diffuser too so it will match my grey 205 in appearance
KAOS
Update - I really hate myself right now.

Getting distracted and started 7 different projects at once is really coming back to bite me in the @$$. kindasad.gif

I'm slowly trying to get back on track and took the week off to get back underneath my car - and slowly start putting it back together.

The rear suspension/brake assembly is finally complete, here are some teaser pics (iphone pics/flash - sorry for $hitty quality):

Had to reassemble the coilovers (I missed washers on the original install), finally installed my Stainless Steel Braided Lines, and Coated the brake calipers RED. biggrin.gif

Also, finished the install of the 7th gen steering wheel, w/ retrofited 6gc cruise stalk... didn't snag pics of that however. kindasad.gif
KAOS
Decided to give my baby a little more juice than the 5S could offer... tongue.gif

Went and checked it out after work today - 3rd Gen 3SGE w/ 98K on it. My mechanic was shocked at how clean it was. We opened up the TB valve and looked inside the intake plenum and we were both amazed at how clean it was...

Can't wait to get it home and start tearing into it. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif YAY!
richee3
Any expected swap date?
Lil-Joe101
Great build, cant wait to see her finished. I got my eye on u sir, lol.
SupraKid
Nice man!! That should def give the car some more perk.
KAOS
QUOTE (richee3 @ Oct 20, 2011 - 4:35 PM) *
Any expected swap date?

Soon - I pick up the engine on Saturday, plan on working on it over the winter - then probably drop it in come spring time.

Sooo... not soon enough I guess. tongue.gif

QUOTE (SupraKid @ Oct 26, 2011 - 12:48 PM) *
Nice man!! That should def give the car some more perk.

Thanks Andrew - I'm looking forward to it... its no 3SGTE - yet - but it might be later on.

Hows the Supra game?

The chasm that awaits my new engine... tongue.gif

Lil-Joe101
Hopefully I will be right behind you in this part of the build as soon as I start working and saving up. MOORRRREEEE PROGRESS UDATES SIR!!!!!!

Oh yeah, now woud be the best time to clean ur engine bay since its free of the engine. Deff try using armorall wheel cleaner, gunk engine degreaser, and a pressure washer or water hose. Then to shine her up armor all tire shine or gunk engine shine. Ive used these two methods for years (since my accord in high school 2003) and hasnt failed me yet.
KAOS
Update.

Tonight I installed the front coilovers, driverside JDM fender, and reinserted the driveshafts so the front hub washer wouldn't crush under the pressure. The I reattached the GTFOUR hood, put the wheels back on, and pushed it out of the garage onto the driveway where it now sits under a car cover...

Didn't reinstall the newly painted front calipers... don't have a brake system right now anyways, so I figured, "Why Bother...?"

Here are some shatty update pics for yall... new 3rd Gen 3SGE comes tomorrow morning! YAY!

A height that Jon would be proud of... tongue.gif - I actually had troubles getting my 4" floor jack out from underneath the car... :S

NYp8tBaller07
new exhaust with the swap?
KAOS
QUOTE (NYp8tBaller07 @ Oct 30, 2011 - 7:35 PM) *
new exhaust with the swap?

Yeah I don't think I have a choice in the matter... I haven't had a lot of time since the engine was brought home to look at the downpipe, but I don't think it'll match up to the 5S's piping... biggrin.gif yay for me!
NYp8tBaller07
what size are you thinking of and will we be seeing a tilted can :-D
richee3
You can use stock piping. I did with my BEAMS. But the 5S uses 2" piping and the 3S uses 2.25", so it would be better to upgrade.
KAOS
QUOTE (NYp8tBaller07 @ Oct 30, 2011 - 8:34 PM) *
what size are you thinking of and will we be seeing a tilted can :-D

Thinking about uping the piping diameter to 2.25", tossing a resonator on the line and keeping the piping as straight as possible, under the rear axels and "tilting the can", yes.

QUOTE (richee3 @ Oct 31, 2011 - 10:39 AM) *
You can use stock piping.

Don't tell my wife that! I was hoping to redo the entire pipe set up... tongue.gif
Lil-Joe101
QUOTE (KAOS @ Oct 29, 2011 - 12:43 AM) *
Update.

Tonight I installed the front coilovers, driverside JDM fender, and reinserted the driveshafts so the front hub washer wouldn't crush under the pressure. The I reattached the GTFOUR hood, put the wheels back on, and pushed it out of the garage onto the driveway where it now sits under a car cover...

Didn't reinstall the newly painted front calipers... don't have a brake system right now anyways, so I figured, "Why Bother...?"

Here are some shatty update pics for yall... new 3rd Gen 3SGE comes tomorrow morning! YAY!

Is that a c-one front bumper I see? By golly I think it is. Should be a worthing something later on down the years since there is no more c-one frown.gif
KAOS
QUOTE (Lil-Joe101 @ Oct 31, 2011 - 11:32 AM) *
Is that a c-one front bumper I see? By golly I think it is. Should be a worthing something later on down the years since there is no more c-one frown.gif

LOL - yeah - its made for the ST202-204 chassis... so my front end will look like your front end (the hood to bumper gap).

I don't think its genuine C-One tho - I can't find the stamp on the inside of the bumper, but I didn't look that hard either. I did fit it to the front end when I first got it and the fitment was great, so very little body work will be needed. (I do plan on modifying the vents on it).
Lil-Joe101
Very nice. Ive heard from a few people that the hood gap is actually quite functional when it comes to cooling the engine bay. As the air is pushed in thru the gap it also pushes the hot out from the top cowl and the two rears. But the gap can be an eye sore to a lot of folks too, lol
KAOS
QUOTE (Lil-Joe101 @ Oct 31, 2011 - 11:42 AM) *
Very nice. Ive heard from a few people that the hood gap is actually quite functional when it comes to cooling the engine bay. As the air is pushed in thru the gap it also pushes the hot out from the top cowl and the two rears. But the gap can be an eye sore to a lot of folks too, lol

I could see that... the gap looks sexy on some cars, but the bumper already has that vent right there... so as far as adding function for airflow; I don't think that gap is going to be sticking around on mine. tongue.gif
stephen_lee
I don't mind the gap really.

KAOS
QUOTE (stephen_lee @ Oct 31, 2011 - 11:49 AM) *

Exactly what I meant when I said the gap looks sexay on some cars.. tongue.gif
czwalga
Ehh that gap is way to obvious to me.

You can reuse the stock exhaust however you'll have to put the stock manifold back on versus using the header that comes on the 3sge. I end taking the midpipe and modifying it to mate up with the 3sge header.
richee3
^^ Exactly what I did. I had a reducer mated to the BEAMS b pipe so the car isn't obnoxious. Wifey is only half the reason I kept the factory GT exhaust. Neither one of us appreciates a loud car. Overall, the exhaust only cost me $30 as opposed to what it could have cost to have it all replaced. But you know 2" piping is going to hold the 3S back.
Lil-Joe101
QUOTE (stephen_lee @ Oct 31, 2011 - 11:49 AM) *

Fall into the "GAP" son, lol

KAOS
I had a surprisingly productive weekend.

Sold the 5S engine & wrapped headers; bought my own Engine Crane & Engine stand and assembled them both.

Cleared out a bit of space in the garage to work, and now its time to mount the 3SGE to the stand and get to work. smile.gif
KAOS
Sold the 5SFE over the weekend, so I decided to get to work on the 3S last night.

Started to remove the heat shield, alternator, and upper T-Belt cover... lookit those extractors! W00t!

Decided to mark the t-belt/cams for easy replacement.... and noticed the idler/tensioner pulley. kindasad.gif

The T-Belt seems healthy... which begs the question; was it recently replaced, or are the kms on this engine really that low?

Question: Does this sticker mean the t-belt was changed @ 100,000kms? Or that it needs to be done at 100,000kms? Translator please! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Lil-Joe101
It needs to be done
KAOS
The other night I was unbuttoning the engine harness from the block, etc and I found this just lying in a pile of wires on the transmission, under the dizzy. Not connected to anything; and it looks like it was snapped off at one point.

I'm hoping this isn't part of the 96+ EGR system frown.gif

... can anyone help verify for me?

Batman722
That's part of the egr system but that's not 96+, it's early 90s.
No 6 gen has a connector like that, that's 5th gen.
Probably a repair/replacement part for something that broke. I wouldn't even worry about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.