Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Someone help talk me into or out of this
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Quidam
Check this GT4 out

I'm agonisng over whether to go for it or not. I've just finished paying off my mortgage but still have a couple of smaller debts I was intending to clean up before buying a new toy (I was actually thinking of going for a older model 911 964 in 6 months to a years time). Then I saw this and kind of wished I hadn't because I doubt a better one will come along again any time soon.

If I did decide to get it, I'd probably keep my current GT4 as a work-horse (will have to live outside)

Thoughts?

ps. can't view the car because it's out of town, but looks like a pretty accurate representation of what it is.
NYp8tBaller07
I love it but a 911 sounds nice too...go GT4 its in very good condition and you will be able to do so much with it
Quidam
QUOTE (NYp8tBaller07 @ Jun 3, 2011 - 9:19 PM) *
I love it but a 911 sounds nice too...go GT4 its in very good condition and you will be able to do so much with it

It's a nice one alright. And all those spare parts really set this listing apart.

To be honest, if I did get it I would keep it as stock as possible. Obviously I'd get the projectors installed and I'd probably de-spoil my 94 GT4 (I quite like the look of a wingless 4) and get it swapped it over.

Could decide at some later point whether to sell my 94 and make the new one my daily driver -just not sure about whether I should aim to keep it low k's or not. Thing is, I just feel like a car like this deserves to be driven, not just sit in a garage.

ps. if there are any other Kiwi members considering buying this car please buy it and just take the temptation away. Also, the seller tells me there is a lot of interest in this car in Australia. Mainly I think because of the huge price difference and the fact that these are almost extinct over there
NYp8tBaller07
I would go for it
PolliS_5S-FE
All those box spares... ahh the convienience. And as they say worth over 20k in spares, seems like a fair price and with all those parts you wont need to worry about availability for a looong while. Tis a nice gt4 maybe you should give her a nice home. Sweet to see another gt4 in auckland too!

err if auckland is where you are haha jumped the gun there
Quidam
QUOTE (PolliS_5S-FE @ Jun 3, 2011 - 9:45 PM) *
err if auckland is where you are haha jumped the gun there

I'm afraid I'm Wellington my affectionately termed Jaffa friend tongue.gif so that is where this 4's new home would be. Up and down state highway 2 from Lower Hutt into the city and back, and over the winding Wainui Hill (where there tends to be a car crash almost every other week) would be it's regular route.

btw, the GT4 is just made for the Hill. I don't profess to be the best driver by any stretch but this car just holds the corners so well I feel like I'm cheating
Rusty
Theres been a lot of ST205 GT-Four's up for sale lately (about 8 on now, and around another 5 recently)

I'm not sure I'm looking at $20,000 worth of spare parts, unless he has others he hasn't listed.
Though he does say "total new retail price ex Japan $22,589" some of the parts could be second hand like the blitz dump pipe.

Heres my quick telly up of the parts he's listed, used toyodiy for part prices and converted to NZD

Turbo $4,300
Headlights Projectors Low and high $1240
Axles front assy. $1940
axles rear assy. $1710
engine gasket kit $300
rear wheel bearings $340
front wheel bearings $340* they dont list them on toyodiy
Total $10,170 NZD
biltz dump pipe new about $1,000 (my guess), but this one is second hand

But without a doubt his Celica does look tidy inside and out thumbsup.gif
Cuts_the_Pilot
Yeah looks alright, $16 000 NZ is about $8 aud tongue.gif, cheap as.

Comes with some handy spares (even if you were to sell some to recoup some money)
Rusty
QUOTE (Cuts_the_Pilot @ Jun 4, 2011 - 4:59 PM) *
$16 000 NZ is about $8 aud tongue.gif, cheap as.

...yeah but more like $12,000 AUD wink.gif
johnyboy1976
Deff the best colour for a GT4 - even though i may be biased smile.gif
Quidam
Thanks for the price breakdown Rusty. I'm pretty sure there are other items not listed and even hif he has taken some poetic licence in his calculations it's still a lot of extra kit. Not quite sure why he is offering it with the car as he might get more selling it separately, but as Cuts says, I could sell some of it myself if I decided to buy.

The only thing missing from his listing is a picture of the engine bay -I've asked him to put one up. Really on the verge of pulling the trigger on this, as much as it pains me to jump straight back into some debt so soon after clearing the mortgage but its pretty small biscuits really -the GT4 is a lot of car for the money.

btw, I guess there have been a few GT4's up for sale lately, here's another one I thought a bit about 1st NZ ST205 GT4 If you were looking for truly original, this would be it.

QUOTE (johnyboy1976 @ Jun 4, 2011 - 3:30 AM) *
Deff the best colour for a GT4 - even though i may be biased smile.gif

I maintain the best colour is renaissance red, and will continue to be unless I decide to buy it wink.gif
johnyboy1976
Red fades far too badly - grey is prob rarest of all the GT4 colours along with sea spray pearl - took me ages to find my grey GT4
Quidam
QUOTE (johnyboy1976 @ Jun 4, 2011 - 3:38 AM) *
Red fades far too badly - grey is prob rarest of all the GT4 colours along with sea spray pearl - took me ages to find my grey GT4

Yeah but for some reason my red GT4 has hardly faded at all. I still get lots of compliments at how tidy/new it looks. I think maybe this ones lived in a garage most of its life.

Anyway, I've MADE AN OFFER just waiting to see if he will accept it or not:

15K total. 10K up front and he holds the car until I've sold my 94 GT4, then I pay the balance and collect my new toy. Fingers crossed.
johnyboy1976
Agree well looked after ones do look very nice
whatthe
QUOTE (Quidam @ Jun 4, 2011 - 7:27 PM) *
15K total. 10K up front and he holds the car until I've sold my 94 GT4, then I pay the balance and collect my new toy. Fingers crossed.

Good work.
808celica
So you paid off your mortgage?? and you have "smaller" debts?? and you already have a FOUR??? and you want another one??

Just get it and ask questions later thumbsup.gif
cyberblader1130
Don't think about it, you really want it? JUST DO IT! tongue.gif
If i had the funds i would snatch that up in a heart beat! biggrin.gif
Almost breaks one's heart to see a car that good looking just sitting in a garage.
PolliS_5S-FE
how come ur selling ur 94 gt4??
delusionz
slightly overpriced, its like hes trying to sell u a 2nd hand gt4 AND brand new spares which arent really brand new...

but on the upside its a very tidy gt4
delusionz
I like this one

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-359233436.htm

but thats overpriced too
johnyboy1976
In the UK the price of GT4's is stupidly low at the moment - bloke off the owners club sold his very nice 97 car for £1900 !!!!
delusionz
can people import them in the uk from japan still?
johnyboy1976
Yes
delusionz
they introduced some law here a little while ago that only used cars built up to 10 years ago may be registered, they said so we had a safer fleet of cars on the road or some crap...

this meant that from 2008 (the last year u could import a 1998 model) the price of a gt4 went from $8000 up as u see around $12,000+ which is good for me i guess, i can see someone selling a stock white 1996 for 12k, at the time i bought it was only $9000. they are getting rare here now as 1 by 1 they are written off and scrapped
johnyboy1976
Rising fuel costs , insurance and lack of knowledge have crippled prices in the UK
On release in the UK these cars were £30'000 and obviously need correct maintenance with quality lubes and oils
Because prices have become affordable over time young people see them as a alternative to the usual ****ty corsa's or crappy peaugot run around
But they buy without research so when the time comes for SS components or clutch / cam belt they cant afford it so sell on a dog of a car dirt cheap
This in turn makes good cars seem overpriced when they aint and so prices of all GT4's drop as a consequence
good ones will still fetch good money but the only people prepared to pay that are GT4 enthusiasts and most already have a car
delusionz
Same story over here, the cars were around $90,000 new

What I meant about overpriced was, the supply of GT4's here have gone down but the demand hasn't gone up, not many people want to pay a $12,000+ asking price on a high milage car that costed 8-9k 2 years ago and had alot less milage and was closer to being young. most gt4s for sale around here nowadays have racked up kms most in excess of 180,000kms and many over 200,000kms, most back then were barely hitting 160,000, there were many under 100,000km fine young examples.
Dyran
QUOTE (delusionz @ Jun 5, 2011 - 9:32 PM) *

I drive past this gt-four pretty much every day, it's a nice example but I don't think anyone will pay the asking price.

The import law here in NZ is so stupid, because I really wanted a freshly imported gt4 with low ks when I decided I wanted one as I knew id be keeping it for some time. Most of the gt4s around now are high ks now with about 4 or 5 nz owners already. This is why the gt4 in the OP is so pricey I guess, nice looking car tho, great colour.
Quidam
Hi all.

I'm of the opinion that if you are an entusiast of this model of car then this is not overpriced (at 15k) especially given all the spare parts (new or otherwise) and the fact that no more are coming in to the country. The lowdown on the parts is that they mostly are new, and were purchased by the first owner because he got a great deal from Toyota Japan who were clearing stock.

btw I'm pretty certain that red 96 is actually a 94 and seems identical in specification to my current GT4.

And yeah, I am definately buying this car and and very excited about. The seller wasn't actually that keen on waiting too long for me to sell my 94 so I'm sucking it up and paying him the full amount up front. Now that I've decided to go that route I'm not actually sure I'll even will sell my 94. I can use it as my work-horse and keep the 97 as mint as possible -however, as a work horse I'd prefer something that drank less gas, so I probably will move it, just not in any big hurry.

What I don't really like is owning 3 cars -I only have a 2 car garage so my 94 is now at the bottom of the pecking order and will be without a roof over its head.

Confirmed it is a 94
PolliS_5S-FE
and its de reg, a de reg'd gt4. what a waste

edit and its done virtually no km's in the past 3 years :\
Rusty
I think its a pretty good deal $10,000 worth of parts and a GT4 for $15,000. Did he tell you if there was anything else that weren't on his list

did you get a check over of it? ie AA check, just to make sure no mishaps etc

yeah the other one is a 94, from the info you found, plus prefacelift rear lights and spoiler
Quidam
QUOTE (Rusty @ Jun 6, 2011 - 1:52 AM) *
I think its a pretty good deal $10,000 worth of parts and a GT4 for $15,000. Did he tell you if there was anything else that weren't on his list

did you get a check over of it? ie AA check, just to make sure no mishaps etc

yeah the other one is a 94, from the info you found, plus prefacelift rear lights and spoiler

Hi Rusty,

Well I ended up having to fight a bit harder for this car. He was offered 3K for the turbo and 800 for the projectors, which meant he changed his mind on accepting 15K. So the choice was I pull out of the deal (at 15K) or I step up to 16K (which I decided to do) at which point he said he would also throw in an (indoor) car-cover. I could tell he felt pretty guilty about changing his mind, but then again it was nice dealing with someone who actually has a conscience, unlike nearly every car dealer I've ever had the misfortune to purchase a car off. Perhaps oddly, I've decided not to do an AA check -he did have a MTA check done on it before he bought it and the only negative was the fact that it did not have the original toolkit.

I also discussed with him whether I should keep or onsell the parts, and frankly, I think it would be short-sighted of me to sell them, as far as I'm concerned, they belong with the car and if for whatever reason I end up selling, I will also offer them as part of the deal (those parts I have not used -ie those projectors are going on as I think they add so much to the look of the car)

One thing I'm not sure about is the spoiler -keep as is or go WRC with riser-blocks?!?
PolliS_5S-FE
although if you sold the parts for around 10k u'd pretty much have got the car and only spent 6k in total wink.gif. Personally I like shorter spoilers than over the top riser ones but each to his own i guess
Quidam
QUOTE (PolliS_5S-FE @ Jun 6, 2011 - 11:56 PM) *
although if you sold the parts for around 10k u'd pretty much have got the car and only spent 6k in total wink.gif. Personally I like shorter spoilers than over the top riser ones but each to his own i guess

Yeah, I'll wait until I get it and then decide, I'm leaning towards leaving it as is. And I agree, with all those spare parts, it is easy to justify the price because if I wanted I could get so much of it back smile.gif
delusionz
I dunno, I'm just being negative, it's an excellent example of a GT4 probably one of the best in NZ. But I really hate that spoiler, and I don't think highly of that turbo either (though with 2 of them you should be set for the life of that GT4)

:S

For little over the price of that turbo I just got a custom manifold, gt28rs ball bearing turbo, custom downpipe and custom intake, now whenever I blow turbos its $1800 to replace instead of 4k...

(not to mention the insane spoolup and power of this turbo hah)
delusionz
Atleast the interior and bodywork is quite enviable biggrin.gif
wadeos
That's one nice gtfour..
I would say keep the parts and install the projectors.
In my opinion i would say install a wrc wing on it, but everyone is different.
Quidam
Out of curioustity, how often do GT4's blow their turbo's?
Dyran
QUOTE (Quidam @ Jun 8, 2011 - 8:55 AM) *
Out of curioustity, how often do GT4's blow their turbo's?

Someone told me not to expect too much more than 150,000ks at the most from the turbo, but of course it all depends on maintenance and stuff, Iv seen a gt4 still running its original turbo at over 200,000ks and had no issues .. My car now is at 126,000ks and still going strong
Quidam
Well payment has been made thumbsup.gif My bank account is looking very empty right now cwm13.gif
Next steps are change of ownership; insurance; and then shipping my new baby down to Wellington.

I've decided to definately move my 94 GT4, I don't want two gas-guzzlers. So I'm thinking maybe an SSII/III or even a 7th gen celica?!?
delusionz
Haha yeah, Make sure it's a 1998+ model biggrin.gif It's definitely fun to have both, SS-III can be more fun around the streets and it's alot easier to drive.

You;d start to notice the GT4 feels like a tank to get moving, and it feels more at home at high speeds when you also have a regular Celica to drive aswell.
Quidam
QUOTE (delusionz @ Jun 9, 2011 - 4:32 PM) *
Haha yeah, Make sure it's a 1998+ model biggrin.gif It's definitely fun to have both, SS-III can be more fun around the streets and it's alot easier to drive.

You;d start to notice the GT4 feels like a tank to get moving, and it feels more at home at high speeds when you also have a regular Celica to drive aswell.

Would have to agree the GT4 feels a lot happier on the open road than it does in traffic or in a built up area.

Anyway a little bit of paranioa is kicking in.

He confirmed he received the 16K and made comment to let him know when I wanted to arrange shipping. A little odd since I'd already told him the first thing to do would be to change ownership.

So I did my part (easily done online at a cost of 10 dollars) and sent him a link asking him to do the sellers side. That was yesterday and I've had no reply so I txt'd him asking him to do it as it would take less than 5 minutes.

He replied saying he's super busy today but will do it tomorrow. Probably everything is perfectly fine, but in the back of my mind I'm asking myself if he is actually the registered owner. If I buy a carjam report will that tell me?

Update: so carjam has a free ownership check option. so of course it is telling me I own the car lol, I think that is a little odd since only the buyer side notification has been done. Anyway, so what I actually want is ownership history.

Update 2: Typical! Purchased a jam report and all it can tell me is that the car has had two previous individual owners (which is at least consistent with what I've been told) but due to privacy laws, will not tell me who those owners are.

Update 3: Ok, have cross checked his physical address on the internet (white pages) and it matches fine. Feeling more comforatble now but just a little disapointed he didn't put this through straight away. It's not something I would sit on if I'd just been paid 16K sight unseen. I'd be doing everything I can to make that person feel comfortable -just me I guess.
delusionz
what???? shouldnt you have gone on a plane or a bus to there and picked up your new parts in your new gt4 and driven it home??? biggrin.gif
yellowchinaman
with out having read anything nor knowing your situation I'd say....

DO IT AND STOP BEING A WIMP! biggrin.gif
Quidam
Dude, I am doing it, in fact I've already done it owned.gif

Mike, thought about flying up but actually there are a lot of parts that have to squeese into the car, not really the best way to drive 700k's

Anyway, spoke to the previous owner again this morning, all is good, feeling confident everythings above board and am aiming to have the car brought down Friday week smile.gif

ps. I got a free Dog and Lemon guide for Celicas/Currans 94-00 (in pdf format) for buying a carjam report (which did come up completely clean).

If anyone wants a copy pm me your email address and I'll send it through
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.