Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4th Gen 3sgte head on a 95 5sfe block.
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
travisxcore
Firstly, I know I'm gonna feel stupid after asking this but I've looked around all sorts of sites the past few days looking for any information and everything I could find was people arguing over the differences in the 3s &the 5s or people talk about the 1-3 gen heads.

So my friend (who is on this site and is building a sick ass car right now biggrin.gif ) has a 4th Gen 3S-GTE head that he wants to sell. I want to make a hybrid with my 5S-FE engine in my car now. Before you say do a complete 3S-GTE swap, I don't want to. The 5S-FE, I believe, has a way better block. I've looked at a lot of different sites and read a ton of hybrid swaps for the 3rd Gen head but I have no idea if that stuff applies with a different generation head. So since I haven't been able to find out anything about the 4th Gen head onto a 5S period is it even possible?

If it is I have a 95 Celica GT. I read on Toyota Nation that in 94 they updated the 5S causing it to no longer be a "bolt on" affair with the 3S (in this case it was a 3rd Gen) head due to missing water jackets. I'm assuming with a 4th Gen head this would still apply?

Are their any differences at all between putting a 3rd Gen and 4th Gen head onto the 5S block?

Thanks for your time.
presure2
putting a 3s head on a 5s block is a 3sgte swap, with the extra work to adapt the head, waterlines and such to the 5s block.
all the electrical stuff becomes 3sgte based.
please do a search, there are a couple guys who have 5sgte's here, as well as lots of threads disscussing the diffrences and whatnot.
travisxcore
I'm not asking about the hybrid swap. I already read all of the steps and know all the stuff I need if I had a 3RD GEN head. I'm asking if theres a difference between the 4th Gen heads and the 3rd Gen heads from a 3sgte because every thread I've read has been in regards to 1st-3rd Gen heads.

I'm not tryin to be a dick but did you honestly even read my post?
presure2
they are not the same, kinda.
the intake manifold flange is diffrent, and other minor diffrences.
ST205WRC
@travisxcore- if your not a member on alltrac.net you should join they have been in the game longer then some of the guys on here and there is a lot more info on there about just the 3sgte side of it.

the heads are almost identical. gen4 has a little bit bigger exhaust ports and doesnt have a whole for the distributor instead has a mounting location for the cam angle sensor. the intake bolt pattern is the exact same as all other gens.
travisxcore
I actually signed up there mr2oc and celicatech. Haven't had a chance to crawl through any of them yet. Pbly will after work today. Hopeful I'll find someone with the exact same build I'm doing to make this really easy biggrin.gif
99gt3sge
so that 4rth gen head would b out of a caldina 3sgte? with the coil packs? i think theres a guy in texas shop called engine logics if i remeber correctly. when we did my brother's 3sgte stroker he helped us out with the metal head gasket. he might have that info if that head bolt pattern is the same. but imo if its a 3s series it should be same bolt pattern. that would a good upgrade if your able to use the coil on plug set up.
stephen_lee
also the combustion chamber is smaller on the 4th gen head so u gain a little CR
brenton1919
Ats racing makes that setup go check it out atsracing.net
brenton1919
QUOTE (brenton1919 @ Aug 12, 2011 - 9:57 AM) *
I have the 4th gen 3sgte setup in my car. But I wanna do the 5sgte because that block is a better block than the 3s block. And u can get more horse power out of it.I know the 4th gen head is better than the 3rd gen head. Imma gonna go with a 4th gen head 5s block from ats. Don't know what kind of turbo yet but ill be puttin out 650+hp when I'm done
Ats racing makes that setup go check it out atsracing.net
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.