Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spetsnaz's '96 JDM GT-Four progress thread
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Spetsnaz
I purchased a '96 JDM GT-Four from local import company in may untaxed. Facelift model with sideskirts and three-legged spoiler plus massive 19" OZ Superleggera rims. It is mostly stock, except Blitz exhaust and HKS EVC engine control system. Price was 5400 euros and I got 4000 euros from my old GT in exchange, so it wasn't bad deal at all.

When I drove the car to local repairshop I encountered not so nice surprise:

Front wheels were pretty much done from inside. Apparently sellers weren't aware of it either so they offered to pay half of new ones.

Some may know that Finnish tax system is very crappy regarding import cars and cars in general, they really rip you off if you give them opportunity. I'm expecting like 1000-1500 euros of tax for the car. Also the regulations concerning headlights, turning signals etc. is pretty strict, everything has to be E-approved. So basically I have to change low, high and tail lights. Especially the lows are pain in the ass to find used and intact, so I had to pay 610 euros for new ones. mad.gif Hoping to get the total cost around 8000 euros for the car.

First thing to be done was clean up front turning signals, they were just cheaply painted black from outside. biggrin.gif

Paint came out pretty easily with solvent and tools.

Side turning signals were also painted black, from inside though. It would have been pain in the ass to get clean so I ordered pair of clear ones.

Some pictures from car's current state:

Taillights look so sweet, but have to replace them frown.gif

With new lows

Next thing is to get new highs and tails, so I'll put the whole set for sale here at some point. smile.gif JDM tails and RHD headlights (dot I guess).
S8S8
Looks great! smile.gif
Spetsnaz

Waxed up. smile.gif There's still stuff to do before winter, rust protection, preheat systems etc. and interior looks awful with back seats removed.
smkr3w
Gorgeous car man. Digging the superleggeras, especially being 19s. thumbsup.gif
Spetsnaz
QUOTE (smkr3w @ Sep 21, 2011 - 4:35 AM) *
Gorgeous car man. Digging the superleggeras, especially being 19s. thumbsup.gif

Thanks! Superleggeras are really nice looking (tho took a while getting used to 19") but they are not the best for Finnish roads (which are quite terrible). Front right rim has already taken some damage by previous owner.
Spetsnaz
Ah damn, I have my old Celi's winter tires on 15" OEM Celica rims, but they don't fit because of the brakes. frown.gif Have to get bigger ones. Does anyone know will brand Extreme 16" rims fit to GT4? Someone mentioned on Finnish Toyota forum that at least some replica 16-inchers had trouble fitting to GT4.

They look like this:

Other projects before winter include some block heating system, was planning on preheat system like Eber or Webasto, but my budget won't cut it. frown.gif Also because of nonexistent service history I'll probably have my coworker do distribution head service, I have a feeling upcoming winter will be pretty harsh and my wallet can't cope with possible engine repair.

EDIT: Plus the protection against rust, it's pretty clear that the car has been in UK when you look under it. Nothing rusted through, but looks bad anyway.
SwissFerdi
16 inch wheels will fit, just depends on offset.
Spetsnaz
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Oct 10, 2011 - 10:35 PM) *
16 inch wheels will fit, just depends on offset.

Alright, thanks! Those wheels above are ET 35, so they should fit. Gonna get them tomorrow.
Spetsnaz

Getting ready for winter. smile.gif
NYp8tBaller07
It's kinda fun outfitting the car for winter in a way; soooo much fun winter driving with snow tires =D
Euphoria
Looks awsome! If only GT4's were this cheap in Aus and I'd have one instead of a rex tongue.gif
richee3
Nice! It sucks that you have to change out the headlights and tail lights, but that's a great looking car.
Spetsnaz
Thanks guys.

Ordered new parts for distribution head (timing belt&stuff and water pump), gonna get them changed sometime soon.

Does anyone know good DIY tutorials on retouching car's paint? It's getting pretty horrible at some spots and budget doesn't allow any bigger stuff for a while.
Spetsnaz
!=)U¤%=(/¤%!"

Backing skills, I has them.

This morning after work I parked the car as usual at the side of the road, backed a bit up as usual so it won't be in the way. Hit the only tree on the side. 500-600 euros estimate for repair, luckily I have my insurance covered.

I'm soooooo pissed up right now.
SwissFerdi
That's rotten luck. Hope it works out in your favor somehow.
purplegt4
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Nov 5, 2011 - 11:42 AM) *
That's rotten luck. Hope it works out in your favor somehow.

works out = jdm tails.
Hotka
If your still interested in selling those JDM Tails let me know ill be interested.!!!!! thumbsup.gif
SwissFerdi
QUOTE (purplegt4 @ Nov 8, 2011 - 4:37 PM) *
works out = jdm tails.

Works out = reading the beginning of the thread.
Neon90424
hahahaha you have rotten luck? my sandrail smashed into my new celica's tsunami tail lights (800$ if you can find em) insurance company got me 100$ ebay tail lights, backed into the darkest tree in the dark of a dark night a week later...
Spetsnaz
QUOTE (Hotka @ Nov 8, 2011 - 9:32 PM) *
If your still interested in selling those JDM Tails let me know ill be interested.!!!!! thumbsup.gif

Sorry, sold them already. smile.gif

QUOTE (Neon90424 @ Nov 9, 2011 - 12:16 AM) *
hahahaha you have rotten luck? my sandrail smashed into my new celica's tsunami tail lights (800$ if you can find em) insurance company got me 100$ ebay tail lights, backed into the darkest tree in the dark of a dark night a week later...

Well, that's what you really call rotten luck, ouch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.