Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you think is the easiest way to...
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
dudeofchaos
Just wondering what you guys think would be the easiest/less expensive way to go if you wanted to get a Lhd Gt4 and lived in America.

Cause that's pretty much what I'm thinking about. I have a Usdm Gts.

If you go with a full Gt to Gt4 conversion, it would be a a total f**k with the insurance company IF you could insure it.
If you buy a euro Gt4, it would be very expensive to ship it and risky to buy a car you've never seen and also dangerous to receive it damaged through the shipping.

So I believe the best way would be to buy a Jdm and go Lhd. I'd like to fully insure it and that's going to be a pita, but that's another story.

What are your thoughts?
LimitedGT4
Define easy and define best as none of the above are easy

In ur case ur one of the lucky than can actually get a actual.gt4 i would buy a jdm and leav it as is or convert to lhd but why go through the trouble as ive seen there are many rhd cars up there and heard its not hard to get used to but hey buy a landed jdm and have fun thats what i would do
Artega
none of these option would be cheap.

Unless the rules are different in Quebec and you can't register a RHD car, then I would just stick with RHD.
it's definitely not hard to get used to.

Here is my guess for cost.
Option 1 - Buy a JDM Gt4 and swap it LHD - probably 7000 if you do it yourself + 8000 for a JDM GT4
Option 2 - Buy a euro Gt4 and import it. - Maybe around 15-20k if you can find someone to import it for you
Option 3 - Keep your USDM Gt/St and fully convert it - People with more experience here can tell you how much it cost. (not cheap but probably cheaper than the other two)

Good luck

dudeofchaos
QUOTE (Artega @ Jul 28, 2011 - 1:28 PM) *
none of these option would be cheap.

Unless the rules are different in Quebec and you can't register a RHD car, then I would just stick with RHD.
it's definitely not hard to get used to.

Here is my guess for cost.
Option 1 - Buy a JDM Gt4 and swap it LHD - probably 7000 if you do it yourself + 8000 for a JDM GT4
Option 2 - Buy a euro Gt4 and import it. - Maybe around 15-20k if you can find someone to import it for you
Option 3 - Keep your USDM Gt/St and fully convert it - People with more experience here can tell you how much it cost. (not cheap but probably cheaper than the other two)

Good luck

The law says that you can't register a Jdm car unless it has been registered before the law came in. So I would buy one that is already plated. Though for what's about money, I don't really care. If I get one I would sell mine which would get me about what I need plus the money that I will have saved for next summer will be more than enough. I know I will be able to afford it.

But it's not cause I think I won't get used to it, it's because I'd much rather drive on the left side. I would drive it on the right side for about a year or so but then I will eventually convert it to Lhd use.
dudeofchaos
QUOTE (LimitedGT4 @ Jul 28, 2011 - 1:00 PM) *
Define easy and define best as none of the above are easy

In ur case ur one of the lucky than can actually get a actual.gt4 i would buy a jdm and leav it as is or convert to lhd but why go through the trouble as ive seen there are many rhd cars up there and heard its not hard to get used to but hey buy a landed jdm and have fun thats what i would do

Like I said above, I want an Lhd because I prefer being on the left side. I know there are people driving on the right side. But I would probably drive it Rhd for a year or two before doing the flip.
mkernz22
I thought Canada had LHD GT4's?
LimitedGT4
I doubt it would cost 7000 for conversion if he does it himself it would be more like 500 -1000. J
ust get a car thats crashed and use as a donor and swap everything.
to do a gt4 conversion with a gt/st is alot if u want it to b like a actualgt4.
a clip is around 4000 plus extras 3000 give or take i would much rather a genuine gt4 wish i could have one am still ploting how to get one lol one day ill get a chance i guess
mkernz22
QUOTE (LimitedGT4 @ Jul 28, 2011 - 4:04 PM) *
I doubt it would cost 7000 for conversion if he does it himself it would be more like 500 -1000. J
ust get a car thats crashed and use as a donor and swap everything.
to do a gt4 conversion with a gt/st is alot if u want it to b like a actualgt4.
a clip is around 4000 plus extras 3000 give or take i would much rather a genuine gt4 wish i could have one am still ploting how to get one lol one day ill get a chance i guess

so you just contradicted yourself.

I doubt it would cost 7000 for conversion if he does it himself it would be more like 500 -1000.

4000 + 3000 = 7000
LimitedGT4
Mike the 7000 was referin to lhd conversion comon man
jordisonjr
Canada does not have LHD gt fours.
Gt fourrs were never sold in canada.
The only way to get a LHD gtfour from factory is to import Euro Gtfour
dudeofchaos
^ x2
martinmr2
wow, they have authentic lhd st205 gt4 in europe? I though they only had rhd in the UK. How rare are the lhd cars?

Martin
njccmd2002
u guys are doing it wrong. the best way to get an LHD gt4..

Get a delorean, go back in time a and wait at the dealership, have first born and kidney in hand.
LimitedGT4
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Jul 31, 2011 - 12:02 PM) *

Get a delorean, go back in time a and wait at the dealership, have first born and kidney in hand.

Let us know wen u figure out ur engine problems and stop tryn to b funny serioisly ur not

Thats not even sarcasm so dont try
HectortheRican
QUOTE (LimitedGT4 @ Jul 31, 2011 - 12:16 PM) *

Let us know wen u figure out ur engine problems and stop tryn to b funny serioisly ur not

You kidding? That was sarcasm gold.
FORGMANN
Old guy is going to chime in.. Buy one already there and get a firewall cut and do conversion. Been done in Europe many times by Doggy and others.
Could buy a LHD one in Europe but they are not cheap as they are in Canada..They are rare even in Europe..

I thought about this a lot and my St205 and decided to keep it RHD to keep it original. I have no problem with RHD but my car will never be a daily driver
so that was factored in.

If you strip down car and clip and take to shop i am sure can get firewall welded in and painted for under 2000 and you rebuild rest.If you want a shop to
convert and do all of work then cost will go way up with labor hours..
dudeofchaos
QUOTE (FORGMANN @ Jul 31, 2011 - 2:48 PM) *
Old guy is going to chime in.. Buy one already there and get a firewall cut and do conversion. Been done in Europe many times by Doggy and others.
Could buy a LHD one in Europe but they are not cheap as they are in Canada..They are rare even in Europe..

I thought about this a lot and my St205 and decided to keep it RHD to keep it original. I have no problem with RHD but my car will never be a daily driver
so that was factored in.

If you strip down car and clip and take to shop i am sure can get firewall welded in and painted for under 2000 and you rebuild rest.If you want a shop to
convert and do all of work then cost will go way up with labor hours..

It might not be as expensive to weld the firewall since I may have some contacts that could do it for me ^^
njccmd2002
QUOTE (LimitedGT4 @ Jul 31, 2011 - 12:16 PM) *

dude, my engine problems are gone, its purring like a kitten now, i will upload a video just for you...

im not trying to be funny, i know I am.... wink.gif oh and btw, its not even your damn post.

QUOTE (HectortheRican @ Jul 31, 2011 - 12:40 PM) *
You kidding? That was sarcasm gold.

thanks bud

LHD gt4, yes you can weld the firewall, but the lhd gt4 components are going to be a piss to find, like some superstrut parts and power steering

unless u ditch that and decide to keep McPherson, or maybe there is a workaround..

but i still think the delorean option is more achievable biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.