Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Enders swap
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
enderswift
Hey 6gc,

I have spent the last few weeks stressing over all the measuring that goes into rebuilding a bottom end. I think there is a post somewhere earlier in this thread where I said that the bottom end is going to be easier than the head.... I was wrong...so wrong rolleyes.gif

I started by miking out the crankshaft and checking a few things like thrust clearance and runout with my trusty dial gauge. Easy stuff. Plastigauge was also an invaluable tool here.

Then I moved to checking the cylinders. This is where 95% of my head scratching occurred. First my original bore gauge wasn't accurate enough and I got numbers that made it seem as though my pistons were press fit into the block. I needed something that could measure tenths, so I borrowed a mitutoyo and went to town. Luckily my numbers made more sense the second time. However the problem I still have is that I'm not sure if the specifications listed in my FSM apply to a used block, or if they are targets for a brand new block. I'm getting a 2 thou piston-wall clearance, which is plenty tight, but the manual calls for a max of 1.6 thou. My machine shop assures me that my numbers are fantastic, but I cant help but worry.

I got sick of sweating in my garage so I moved everything into the beautifully air-conditioned kitchen biggrin.gif

Finally I took apart my turbo and exhaust manifold in preparation for a ceramic coating at Jethot

My biggest obstacle at the moment is the fact that all the places I need to work with end up closing by the time I get out of work. So I can't take my bottom end in for machining for another week. Likewise ordering things like a hybrid clutch is a pain unless you can call in during their work hours. All of this makes it hard to streamline the logistics of a project like this. I might just take a sick day to bust everything out.

Anyway, I'm gonna buy lots of good stuff tomorrow so expect an update soon smile.gif
Zake
when in doubt, kitchen thumbsup.gif
this is looking good! do you think that your going to have this up and running by the time we have the spring meet?

or perhaps the fall meet this year. biggrin.gif
navseal345
One word... Wow.
enderswift
QUOTE (navseal345 @ Jul 25, 2012 - 10:41 PM) *
One word... Wow.

Thanks! Its a tedious labor of love

when in doubt, kitchen
this is looking good! do you think that your going to have this up and running by the time we have the spring meet?

or perhaps the fall meet this year.

I've given deadlines before, and they've all gone out the window haha. If I'm lucky I should be boosted by the fall meet
richee3
You know I have an inconvenient work schedule but I'm willing to drive up and lend a hand if you happen to be swapping it in the first half of the week instead of a weekend.
enderswift
QUOTE (richee3 @ Jul 27, 2012 - 1:28 PM) *
You know I have an inconvenient work schedule but I'm willing to drive up and lend a hand if you happen to be swapping it in the first half of the week instead of a weekend.

I might just turn the swap into a mini chicago meet haha
richee3
Do it.

1. Luke- Celica and 3S-GTE
2. Chris/Stacy- Knowledge and expertise, with the occasional Hulking of the rear motor mount tongue.gif
3. Daniel/Brigette- Wasps.
Zake
Do it.

1. Luke- Celica and 3S-GTE
2. Chris/Stacy- Knowledge and expertise, with the occasional Hulking of the rear motor mount tongue.gif
3. Daniel/Brigette- Wasps.
4. zach- there to play in the car (pretend that im driving it) and stealing the hood latch from the GT-4 front clip
enderswift
I think you guys would fall asleep long before the motor got installed. I take my sweet time with EVERYTHING; If you haven't noticed tongue.gif

quick update:

Finally ordered my hybrid fx300 clutch from clutchmasters. $495 shipped felt kinda steep especially since an ACT was only $50 more, but the glowing forum reviews sealed the deal. Apparently the fx300 is almost like stock in terms of how it feels, but can hold up to 350 hp. This is great since I honestly just want my celi to be on par with the local sti's and evo's. No insane power levels for me. Nevertheless I was also hard pressed to find negative reviews talking about cracked pressure plates or destroyed springs (unlike SPEC). Finally the clutchmasters kit allows me to simply replace the clutch disc when I switch to my e15x transmission later on. So the combination of all those things motivated the purchase.

On another note, I decided to change my original ceramic coating plans. JetHot wanted $425 plus $90 shipping both ways to coat my exhaust manifold and turbine housing (outside only). Frankly I cant justify paying that much for what is arguably a glorified paint job. That's why I did some research and found a local coater (Lo-Ko performance coatings) with good reviews that will do it for $160 with a 3 year warranty. I'll be the guinea pig for everyone here, but I have a good feeling about the place after meeting the owner.

A few other small things were done on the side:
1. I bought my piston rings from the UK, http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/ This is a great store, they have all the obscure st205 parts you could ever want smile.gif plus the customer service is top notch.

2. Purchased ct20 rebuild kit from www.gpopshop.com, I've heard good things about these guys so I'm going to try them out by using their kit and sending the turbo rotating assembly in for balancing

3. Purchased a 6g gt engine harness to serve as a donor for extending my 3s harness

4. Ordered some heat foil for the intercooler. I plan to hold off on installing the gt4 body panels so heat will be a big issue for a while.

Things are going to get interesting again as soon as all of this stuff starts showing up at my doorstep. If I'm lucky I'll get my engine block to the machine shop for some work this week. I promise my next update will have pictures biggrin.gif
enderswift
Hello 6gc,

I have another update to share with you, I'm tired so I wont be very detailed this time.

Finally found time to visit the machine shop smile.gif So I got the block ready. It's always surprising to see how small these things are

I made sure to pack and label everything for them

With the bottom end out for machining, I turned my attention to the intercooler. It looked like it was in really good shape so I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend time cleaning it out. Its a good thing I did though, because a ton of black crud dissolved out when I filled it with simple green extreme.

After that I applied some heat foil to complement my other heat control efforts.

With the intercooler cleaned up, I went after the intake manifold. Total pita to clean this thing.

I think the result was well worth the effort

Cleaned out the throttle body, IAC, and all lines. A process that took 3 hours. Also took the time to apply loctite everywhere.

My new 'hose from hell' arrived from the UK. Hopefully I wont have to struggle with replacing it any time soon

The new hybrid clutch also showed up. Build quality is fantastic thumbsup.gif

Here is my turbo rebuild kit. Debating on whether or not to send the rotating part of the cartridge out for balancing after rebuilding.

My incredibly expensive oem piston ring set arrived as well. I looked all over and only one place stocked these, So of course I had to pay out the nose for them. $200 gone forever
kurt95gt
The heat wrap job you done on the bottom of the top mount looks amazing
enderswift
Thanks bud, it was a lot of work just making the template for it so I'm glad people think it came out nice
dudeofchaos
QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Aug 2, 2012 - 9:08 PM) *
The heat wrap job you done on the bottom of the top mount looks amazing

I second that! ^
enderswift
another day, another update:

Picked up my bottom end from the machinist

The block was in really good shape going into the machine shop so I only had them do a ball hone to refresh the walls, a light deck to remove a little warp, and a basic hot tank.

The flywheel was cut per the clutchmasters specifications

Crank was polished in preparation for new bearings

I was excited to have my parts back so I spent the evening painting the block cast iron grey smile.gif

Final assembly is just around the corner
Stambo
yayyy!
SwissFerdi
Well-oriented build, that.
enderswift
Thanks guys,

It's been a busy day but I have something to show for it (sorry for the cell pics)

All new bearings were pressed into their corresponding mains, taking care to avoid scratching through the coated layers. A healthy slathering of assembly lube is cheap insurance against a rough first start

The newly polished crankshaft was finally back home among a set of ARP main studs. All torque specs were followed to avoid damaging anything.

Next the piston-rod assemblies were put together. Installing the wristpin c-clips was a total pain and I ended up doing it inside of a ziploc bag in case any of them tried flying off again. I also spent a long time installing all of the piston rings. They have to be installed from the bottom-most ring up, have to be checked for match marks, and then oriented properly so none of the rings gaps line up. Doing all that is one thing, making sure none of it shifts around while being inserted into the cylinder is another rolleyes.gif Needless to say I checked and re-checked a bunch of times before I felt confident about my work.

It was about this point where I really started to enjoy the rebuild. Things are quickly coming together and looking good. The installation of the oil and water pumps are perfect examples of this.

The ARP headstuds were threaded into the block in preparation for the cylinder head. The studs were expensive, but well worth the peace of mind.

Another shot of the bottom end right before the cylinder head was installed. I didn't want to leave it exposed like this for too long and risk getting some dirt trapped in there.

So the cylinder head was thrown on in short order thumbsup.gif

its nice to be at a point in this project where things are starting to come together thumbsup.gif
bloodMoney
Looks good!

Now get it in the car. tongue.gif
enderswift
QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Aug 4, 2012 - 9:31 PM) *
Looks good!

Now get it in the car. tongue.gif

Not yet. Need to lose my mind over all the small details first.

Got my exhaust stuff back from ceramic coating:

I'm so glad I didn't go with JetHot because the quality of this coating is absolutely flawless. They coated the inside and outside of the manifold, as well as the outside of the turbine housing, for only $150! $300 less than jethot. Plus they offer a great warranty

the place is called LO-KO in chicago illinois:

http://www.lo-ko.com/

rave2n
Looking good!
enderswift
QUOTE (rave2n @ Aug 9, 2012 - 6:52 PM) *
Looking good!

Thanks rave, your build is looking good too.

Just thought I'd post up a pic of a small mock-up I did. Couldn't help myself with all those ceramic coated bits lying around:

More to come this weekend thumbsup.gif
bsamps4
That looks BAD ASS!
navseal345
When you do the AWD to this beauty it will be a hell of a fun, reliable car.
kurt95gt
I don't think it was ever that clean new laugh.gif
enderswift
That looks BAD ASS!

Thanks man, but I can only hope to approach the badass-ery of your ride

When you do the AWD to this beauty it will be a hell of a fun, reliable car.

I don't want to think about it haha. The work still left to be done to reach that goal just seems overwhelming sometimes

I don't think it was ever that clean new

If only that were true.

So I'm gonna try to squeeze this in among the flood of spam:

The engine is 95% complete. Just need to rebuild the turbo, repair a bracket I bent during removal, and tie up a few loose ends. The fated engine swap should happen in two weeks, giving me just enough time to clean up all of the supporting assemblies. Hopefully the spam stops before then
bloodMoney
Let me know if you want help with the swap.
Box
Mmm, turbo...
Stambo
ender i'll buy the awd stuff off you right now.... smile.gif
bloodMoney
I've got first dibs!!!! Plus, you haven't been to a meet all year tongue.gif
Zake
QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Aug 17, 2012 - 9:47 PM) *
I've got first dibs!!!! Plus, you haven't been to a meet all year tongue.gif

false, he was at the spring meet smile.gif
navseal345
I call first dibs on a ride at the first meet this car shows up to.
enderswift
Sorry guys, I'm keeping the AWD bits. I just love power to four wheels too much to part with any of the stuff.

Stambo is it true that you're switching over to the 3rd gen? Cuz Richee3 has been threatening to do it too; and having three 3rd gens at the midwest meets would be awesome.

I call first dibs on a ride at the first meet this car shows up to

confirmed. The car is still gonna have an open diff unfortunately kindasad.gif But there's always that straightaway on 71 thumbsup.gif

So I finally turned my attention to the turbo today. I was planning to rebuild it but ran into something particularly annoying. It looks like some curious member of my family decided to check out the turbo cartridge while it was laying on my work bench. . . and then place/drop it with the impeller facing down, thus scuffing the edge of two blades on the intake side.

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

so I need to send the impeller assembly out for balancing because I don't want to take chances on a part that approaches 100k rpm.

SwissFerdi
Good thing you caught that, imagine ruining a perfectly sound rebuild to an unknown like that. Looks like the cleanest (and I mean that literally) I've seen posted here in a while.
Stambo
QUOTE (enderswift @ Aug 18, 2012 - 1:29 AM) *
Sorry guys, I'm keeping the AWD bits. I just love power to four wheels too much to part with any of the stuff.

Stambo is it true that you're switching over to the 3rd gen? Cuz Richee3 has been threatening to do it too; and having three 3rd gens at the midwest meets would be awesome.

I call first dibs on a ride at the first meet this car shows up to

confirmed. The car is still gonna have an open diff unfortunately kindasad.gif But there's always that straightaway on 71 thumbsup.gif

So I finally turned my attention to the turbo today. I was planning to rebuild it but ran into something particularly annoying. It looks like some curious member of my family decided to check out the turbo cartridge while it was laying on my work bench. . . and then place/drop it with the impeller facing down, thus scuffing the edge of two blades on the intake side.

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

so I need to send the impeller assembly out for balancing because I don't want to take chances on a part that approaches 100k rpm.

I'm planning to go to a 3rd. I'm just shopping around to find a nice front clip with the awd goodies for a good price.
Box
Sounds like a family member needs a good scuffing. redface.gif
enderswift
Hello everyone,

thank you for the kind words so far, I lose sight of the end goal sometimes when I get into the nitty gritty details, so its nice to have a reminder of why this is all worth it. Anyway I have a decent update to post up. The turbo has recieved a lot of attention and is currently cleaned, painted, and awaiting the return of a balanced impeller assembly. As I mentioned before, the intake side impeller has tiny chips on two fins and therefore needed to get balanced. Honestly I'm sure the turbo would work fine as-is, but I'm doing this build with longevity in mind. So off it went to TheBoostLab in Tampa Florida: http://www.theboostlab.com/ you guys should check them out if you need any work done.

Taking the turbo apart was pretty easy after soaking it in cleaner for a little while. I made sure to keep track of the order of the internals and placed paint marks pointing toward the compressor side on each of them. All of the internals look like they're in fantastic shape so a rebuild isn't really necessary, but I already have the kit so why not!

Heres a picture of my impeller assembly. Gotta love the ceramic turbine impeller smile.gif I replaced the lock nut and the thrust clips before sending this out for balancing.

This took a while

After masking off the cartridge I painted it with VHT flameproof paint (well see how it holds up). The paint can says to cure it in 500 degree temps for 30 min, so I shoved this thing in the oven when no one was home. Worked awesome thumbsup.gif

Also cleaned up the compressor housing in some more of that Boeing cleaner.

Some of the miscellaneous turbo bits got painted in the extreme temp VHT as well.

I am currently waiting on these two gaskets to come in from the UK, as well as a new intercooler bracket

Here's the engine as it currently sits. I attached all of the accessories and now I'm really just tying up the loose ends (procrastinating on extending the harness tongue.gif ) so it shouldn't be much longer. If I'm really lucky then the swap will go smoothly. I doubt that's gonna happen though, there's bound to be tons of gremlins that keep me busy.

I like the fact that my wall of potential energy is starting to get pretty sparse. For a while there it felt like I was putting in a ton of work with no progress to show for it.

Finally bought a set of gauges. I went with prosport because they have good reviews (on the premiums) and look like defi's for a million dollars cheaper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-75K8jKTQo

I bought the boost, wideband, and oil pressure. They're gonna look awesome. Anyway, stay tuned for more updates
cheela
looks like that engine just came out of the factory today. nice work!
enderswift
Thanks dude!
bsamps4
Where did you get the rebuild kit for the turbo?
bsamps4
And what did you use to clean up your alternator without damaging it?
I'm really interested. Mine is kind of an eyesore.
Stambo
luke, it looks like you might have the tensioner pulley set up wrong? Unless the pulley you got is a ribed one.
enderswift
QUOTE (Stambo @ Aug 27, 2012 - 6:20 PM) *
luke, it looks like you might have the tensioner pulley set up wrong? Unless the pulley you got is a ribed one.

nope I think you're right, good eye. This is what happens when I start assembling without referencing my photos. Thanks dude

Where did you get the rebuild kit for the turbo?

I got mine from gpopshop.com. You have to call them to order the ct20b kit

And what did you use to clean up your alternator without damaging it?
I'm really interested. Mine is kind of an eyesore.

I used one of those 3M sanding sponges, the 320 grit iirc, and a can of CRC alternator/starter cleaner. I made sure to keep any sanding dust from building up by using my compressor often. I took it to get tested at advance after and it passed with flying colors
enderswift
Hello 6gc,

I have a massive update for you. I've rebuilt my turbo, and I'm slowly making my way through extending the wire harness. One of the most tedious things I've ever done, and I've done my fair share of tedious stuff during this rebuild laugh.gif

A while back I ordered a late model 5s engine harness from ebay to serve as a donor for my extension. I figured that since the 5s and 3s are so similar, then most of the wiring should match up color-wise. What you see in this photo is the leftover carnage from unlooming that donor harness.

Here is a shot of the exposed wires waiting to be sorted and cut. I made sure to measure my st205 firewall and figure out the approximate extension length before I scrapped it. I would only need about 36 inches of additional wiring to make the 3s harness plug and play with a lhd frame, but I decided to play it safe and go with 42 inches.

Next I exposed a section of my 3s harness near the firewall boot so I could start sorting and making a log of the wires that would be supplied by my donor.

This is the result of the sorting. I was missing about 20 color combinations so the next day I tore into some leftover chassis harnesses from the clip and salvaged about 8 more. So that leaves me with 12 color combos un accounted for. It's no big deal though, I will just use wires that look similar and properly label them.

Here is a picture of the log that has been helping me keep track of the wiring. Its super easy to get confused so something like this is a must in my opinion.

This picture shows my workbench all setup for the extension. On the right are the soldering supplies I've been buying lately, including some quality 3m electrical tape. Those of you that have used a lot of electrical tape before know that the cheap stuff either melts together or gets really brittle. I want to avoid that with this harness.

I'm just starting the extension in this picture, but just those few wires took about 25 min. Each extension involves a cleaning of the donor wire so it's not sticky, cutting to 42", stripping all ends of insulation, careful soldering, continuity checks, and heat shrinking. Absolutely mind-numbing work. I'm also making sure to stagger groups of spliced wires to avoid a bulge in the final product. It's been mostly smooth sailing except for some unexpected coaxial, and shielded wires that the donor harness could not supply. I'm gonna have to get creative to extend those. Hopefully my soldering skills are up to the task

In other news I got my turbo parts back! That's just amazing turn around time, especially considering hurricane Issac was blasting Florida while this was there. I love how they cleaned up the ceramic impeller, way better than my measly attempts. Guys, I was the guinea pig and I can say without a doubt that theboostlab.com is the place to go with.

The intake side is looking pretty good too. One thing I couldn't figure out is where they removed the material to do the balancing. Maybe all it needed was to be clocked slightly to make up for the chips. Either way I cant wait to hear this guy spin up!

With the parts in hand I sat down and assembled the turbo with the new internals. Assembly is super easy as long as you take pictures of everything ahead of time. I'm surprised people don't rebuild their turbos more often. However doing this only reinforced my pure hatred for c-clips.

Nothing like a freshly rebuilt turbo

I wasn't about to sit around with a freshly rebuilt turbo on my table so I went into the garage and started assembling.

For a stock turbo the ct20b really is big. I have to hand it to toyota, they went nuts with the 3s turbo. Twin entry, ceramic exhaust impeller, water cooled... They just crammed in all the bells and whistles possible back then.

It feels real good to finally have the engine finished. I'm literally just waiting on a bracket and two gaskets at this point. Everything else has been done. Unfortunately now is the point where the real second guessing starts. There are thousands of places where I could have made a mistake on this engine. I hope none of them are going to be show stoppers kindasad.gif

Another view of the assembled turbo. I'm thinking of just leaving the factory heat shield off for now. I like the way all of this looks, and I don't want to hide it.

Also got my prosport gauges in the mail. Boost, AFR, and oil pressure. I cant wait to have them bounce around while driving at night. Btw, I was really surprised at the quality of the supporting hardware for these. I don't know how anyone could want more.

Finally, I got a wild hair the other day ordered a QTP exhaust cutout. Making a custom exhaust is gonna be a pita for a while so this thing is gonna let me uncork the motor when the occasion arises wink.gif

I plan to take advantage of the long weekend and finish my harness. The final parts should arrive by tuesday at the latest so... the swap is upon me.
richee3
I expect a startup vid within the next 7 days!
enderswift
QUOTE (richee3 @ Aug 31, 2012 - 7:47 PM) *

dont tempt me lol. I'm getting so close that it's all I can do to keep myself from halfassing stuff just to get it done
njccmd2002
thats a stupid clean engine. I like it
enderswift

shooting for this upcoming weekend!

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Sep 2, 2012 - 1:18 PM) *
thats a stupid clean engine. I like it

Thanks man, hope to see your beams again next summer.

So this sucked. I never want to solder another connection again, but the harness should be very reliable (I hope). I guess time will tell
njccmd2002
it has held well for me...

Good job.
bsamps4
your gonna have to cruise down to our neck of the woods!
TwistedCeli94
what he said ^....holy mackerel!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.