Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need some assistance plz
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
mandrek
hey all, been looking for the part number for the ARP head studs that will work for my 7AFE, i know that alot of the 4afe/ge parts will work on the 7a but i dont know about the head studs.. i contacted ARP but they were of no assistance.. yet, they gave me this long work sheet to fill out (gonna take me a wile to get all of the relavent info for it) i have searched and pored through the forums and many build threads, but do to the fact that the 6GC.net search engine has a 3 charactor limit it is incredibly dificult to narrow the search.

plz to any one who has the relavent info, plz pass it along.

thank you
nick
mandrek
bump, anyone?
bsamps4
I searched for a good 20 minutes for ya, but could only find arp info for the 4a head swapped onto a 7a.
mandrek
QUOTE (bsamps4 @ Oct 8, 2011 - 11:38 AM) *
I searched for a good 20 minutes for ya, but could only find arp info for the 4a head swapped onto a 7a.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif thanx .. yeah.. I'm pretty sure that it exist, just damn near impossible to find.. iv gone on 'binge searching' spree's looking for it.. me, I'm hopeful that some of the experienced 7afte builders will chime in.. thanx again Bsamps4

ima pull one of my head bolts from one of my other motors and see if i can barrow a caliper to get accurate measurements, and try to fill out the sheet ARP sent me.. but I'm honestly hoping to get some help and pointed in the right direction before having to Finnish the sheet, i honestly do not have the time for this.. frown.gif

thanx again Bsamps4
stephen_lee
the 7a uses 2 different bolts.

a short bolt and a long one. i think the shorts go in the rear..
mandrek
QUOTE (stephen_lee @ Oct 9, 2011 - 11:10 AM) *
the 7a uses 2 different bolts.

a short bolt and a long one. i think the shorts go in the rear..

thank you stephen..

so am i mistaken ? and no one out there has got ARP or any other aftermarket head fasteners on there 7AFTE????

i know that the only "other" weak point is #as far as fasteners go# are the rod bolts, (primary reason for failur) and that some have been re-tapping the rod's to take ARP 2000 or L19 rod studs.

i will (as soon as i get a chance to) go ahead and fill that data sheet that ARP needs, and hope that they have something that they can put together for me. w/o being custom. but if anyone out there already has part numbers that would be of HUGE!!!!! assistance..
Smaay
im supposed to rebuild a 7A-FE fairly soon, once i do ill see if any other engine is compatable. right now i have 1ZZ/2ZZ, 3S-GTE, and 2JZ-GTE studs on hand
matts94celica
I've been told to get the 4age head studs by OOBE. Just passing info along by what I've been told.
-Matt
mandrek
QUOTE (Smaay @ Oct 9, 2011 - 10:21 PM) *
im supposed to rebuild a 7A-FE fairly soon, once i do ill see if any other engine is compatable. right now i have 1ZZ/2ZZ, 3S-GTE, and 2JZ-GTE studs on hand

Thank you Smaay, lets hope that between what you have on hand, you will be able to find a viable combination for the 7afTe... i am honestly suprised that this subject has not been addressed before. so all the 7afte's out there are running on stock head bolts? if that is so, than we should chalk up one more point for the reliability of the lil'7a... i will be pulling my motor later in the week , or perhaps next week, so the head will be comming off aswell, i will post the responce i get from ARP after i am able to get them the specs to they requested.
stephen_lee
QUOTE (mandrek @ Oct 10, 2011 - 3:05 AM) *
QUOTE (Smaay @ Oct 9, 2011 - 10:21 PM) *

Thank you Smaay, lets hope that between what you have on hand, you will be able to find a viable combination for the 7afTe... i am honestly suprised that this subject has not been addressed before. so all the 7afte's out there are running on stock head bolts? if that is so, than we should chalk up one more point for the reliability of the lil'7a... i will be pulling my motor later in the week , or perhaps next week, so the head will be comming off aswell, i will post the responce i get from ARP after i am able to get them the specs to they requested.

last weekend i swaped heads on my 7a... removing and torquing in new head bolts were scary lol.. also the cam cap bolts always scare me.. on ANY engine.
Smaay
the 7A-FE is not a high performance engine, its old, and ARP has no interest in making a run for such a small customer base. Hopefully another application fits
mandrek
QUOTE (matts94celica @ Oct 10, 2011 - 4:00 AM) *
I've been told to get the 4age head studs by OOBE. Just passing info along by what I've been told.
-Matt

Thank you Matt... yes i was thinking about the same thing my self, though it would seem that ARP does not have that same part number as being compatible for the 7a.. honestly i dont think that it would be that far off, since soo many 4age/fe parts work on the 7a..
mandrek
Indeed Smaay, i definatly understand it from the buisness side of things for ARP, but the popularity of boosted 7A's is not just somthing that has not been growing here on 6GC.net and the celi-community, but also the AE86/92/101 hatchi, and 4A community aswell.. it just astounds me that for such a big company that provides custom work and small runs on custom parts, that did not have an application on file for the 7A.. as if no one out there has approched ARP to address properly clamping down the head on a boosted 7A...
matts94celica
Well OOBE seems to know what he's talking about. I just replaced my engine with another 7afe and I'm gonna be another 7a up but I'm converting it to a 7age so I'm just going to be using the 4age head studs anyway and I've heard the close similarities between the 7a and the 4a as they are from "A" series so I don't see why atleast most of the studs are the same.
-Matt.
stephen_lee
looks like 84-91 4age also uses the same head bolts as the 7afe.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=90109%...10059&mU=on
mandrek
QUOTE (stephen_lee @ Oct 13, 2011 - 1:06 PM) *
looks like 84-91 4age also uses the same head bolts as the 7afe.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=90109%...10059&mU=on

thank you stephen, once again providing the critical information needed to help us out.. that is the perfect data needed to support the 7af-T-e..

once again, thank you.
stephen_lee
NP. now the issue is... does ARP have bolts for that year 4age
mandrek
QUOTE (stephen_lee @ Oct 17, 2011 - 1:34 PM) *
NP. now the issue is... does ARP have bolts for that year 4age

indeed, but if i am not mistaken, that is the same motor in the famed hatchi roku.. right?
mandrek
just looked over the ARP product list, and the ONLY head stud that they have for the 4age is product number:(203-4203)

i would assume that it would work for all years of that motor, as well as the 7a, (after seeing the part number corilation that stephen_lee provided)... lets hope.. wink.gif
mandrek
Update: in the process of putting my motor back together, and i ended up ordering a set of 4age main studs, and 4age head studs.. to anyone who is looking to do the same know this.: you will HAVE to modify one long and one short stud to fit on the far cam gear side, (the two that fit UNDER the two slave gears.) the ARP studs are a bit longer than the OEM bolts. cut em down to stock bolt length (from the bottom), and then tap the the stud to get the botom thread height back to what it needs to be. i will post pix when i get a chance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.