Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: photography help?
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
Malhar95
i just recently got a camera, its a nikon coolpix L110

im new to the camera game, i always used my phones to take pictures before this. Obviously i know how to use a digital camera but i wouldnt say i know good techniques.

i see many people here like (tigawoods, timmyface, whatthe etc. ) have awesome photography skills so u guys have and suggestions/tips?

also i was looking on ebay, and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-43X-WIDE-ANGLE-F...#ht_5776wt_1270

a wide angle camera adaptor lens. does this really work and is it usefull? like what exactly does the wide angle do?
Timmyface
Hey Malher,

The camera i use, as well as Whatthe, and i'm unsure about tiga, Is a "DSLR"

From the looks of your camera, its a higher class Point and shoot Digital camera.

Depending on what settings you've got to choose from, limits the capabilities you can do.
Don't let this steer you away though. My earlier images, and images such as Malpaso's are from a similar camera to yours.

From what i remember of mine, you mainly have lighting and scene settings to choose from, so its still pretty much a full automatic camera.

If you have settings such as Shutter Speed, ISO, Aperture, its a different story.

The "Flower" setting is a Macro setting, which is commonly used for your close-up shots.
Choosing this will usually blur out some of the background for you.

As with the Ebay lens, im not too sure you can addon lenses to your camera. Correct me if i'm wrong, as i dont know anything about it haha.

Best tips, is to play around yourself, write down notes of how you achieved certain images... than if your game, get into the Post-Production of images. Editing.

Good luck with it though man, i'm still learning myself.
If you have any questions or any settings you have fiddle with, give me a shout smile.gif

Hope this helps a litttttle.
Hanyo
QUOTE (Malhar95 @ Oct 31, 2011 - 1:31 AM) *
i just recently got a camera, its a nikon coolpix L110

im new to the camera game, i always used my phones to take pictures before this. Obviously i know how to use a digital camera but i wouldnt say i know good techniques.

i see many people here like (tigawoods, timmyface, whatthe etc. ) have awesome photography skills so u guys have and suggestions/tips?

also i was looking on ebay, and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-43X-WIDE-ANGLE-F...#ht_5776wt_1270

a wide angle camera adaptor lens. does this really work and is it usefull? like what exactly does the wide angle do?

basically that lense you link to is a fish eye lens. It distorts the middle of the image and allowing more of the sides of the image to show. Fish eye lens are fun to use once in a while because it can help you focus and highlight the object in the middle and what you focus on. But i seldom ever use it. There simply is too much distortion and gives the image a weird stretch shape.

This picture is a super wide fisheye lens aimed at the ground. The wide angel of the lens lets you capture the horizon otherwise missed with a regular lens.

here is how a fish eye lens is used in car photography.

Those pictures are extreme examples. With your camera, it can never reach that wide of an angel. Your camera is rated at 28mm and those pictures are taken at 8-10mm.
Malhar95
well yea i know somewhat about cameras. like i took this class in school but since it was only highschool not so detailed.

i choose this camera honestly just because it looks somewhat like a dslr. im not a fan of normal flat digital cameras. to me they look too girlish.

timmyface: im not sure about the adaptor too, i think its just like a curved lense that kinda 'fools' my real camera lens. and im familiar with post pic. editing. photoshop is my friend smile.gif

hanyo: thanks that explains alot. is there anyway i can get this affect better with editing? would u say go for it?

thanks all

edit*** how does the "mm" of the lens affect pictures?
mkernz22
I honestly would have told you to save up $200 more for a baseline DSLR camera because you can easily expand on a beginner body by upgrading the lenses and being able to use add-ons such as external flash. I made the mistake of paying about $400 or $500 for a semi top of the line, high zoom, camera when I could have bought a DSLR for the same price and have been able to expand. I highly doubt that the lens will fit (just by the looks) because your whole lens moves in and out from the camera body, correct?

just as an add-in: that fish / wide angle lens looks cheaply made and in the picture where they show you the difference with and without the lens, it's actually just cropped down lol it's an easy trick to fool people
Malhar95
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Nov 1, 2011 - 3:35 AM) *
I honestly would have told you to save up $200 more for a baseline DSLR camera because you can easily expand on a beginner body by upgrading the lenses and being able to use add-ons such as external flash. I made the mistake of paying about $400 or $500 for a semi top of the line, high zoom, camera when I could have bought a DSLR for the same price and have been able to expand. I highly doubt that the lens will fit (just by the looks) because your whole lens moves in and out from the camera body, correct?

just as an add-in: that fish / wide angle lens looks cheaply made and in the picture where they show you the difference with and without the lens, it's actually just cropped down lol it's an easy trick to fool people

yea my friend just got a sony dlsr or slr for like 600 on sale.

and yea i didnt think about the lens coming out for zoom. so i guess not to buy that now. i might just try getting used to this camera 1st and edit my photos 1st, and then just get something good.

thanks guys
Tigawoods
a cheap DSLR would have been a better choice. I am actually selling my Canon XTI for 350.

even with the camera you have now you can focus on things like composition and other techniques that will help you if you decide to step up to a dslr later down the road. If the camera you have has some sort of Manual mode, use it. That will help you get used to all the different settings (ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture, White Balance) that the DSLR will share.

you should also get a copy of photoshop AND a photo storage program (adobe lightroom, apple aperture, adobe bridge) I wish I would have used those when I forst started out. I had to transfer all my photo's from 2 years into the programs, took a while.
learning photoshop now, will help you SO MUCH later down the road. Play with it, experiment, post shots, and we can give you feedback

but

NO HDR's

please
Hanyo
QUOTE (Malhar95 @ Oct 31, 2011 - 11:29 PM) *
timmyface: im not sure about the adaptor too, i think its just like a curved lense that kinda 'fools' my real camera lens. and im familiar with post pic. editing. photoshop is my friend smile.gif

hanyo: thanks that explains alot. is there anyway i can get this affect better with editing? would u say go for it?

thanks all

edit*** how does the "mm" of the lens affect pictures?

The MM affect is bascially how wide of an angle the lens can capture. your camera can do 28-420mm. So at 28mm you can capture a wide shot of the landscape. On the other hand the 420mm can only capture a very narrow shot. At 420mm you will be zoomed in all the way and everything on the side of the picture will be cropped out.

Editing will also give you the best bang for your buck in your situation. The only real way to get the super wide angle shots is to use a proper wide angle dslr lens.

With the editing VS camera lens question: Well it depends on what type of person you are. I originally loved Photoshop. The latest version is so amazing you can make up your own landscapes from scraping together multiple pictures. But what I discovered was I would be sitting in front of a computer all day by myself editing photos, where as getting a DSLR allows me to go out and enjoy myself with friends while taking breath taking shots. But there are some draw backs to each method. Photoshop cost $500 where as a dslr lens cost $1200+ for the good ones. That being said I've seen some people use ms paint and make great pictures and I've also seen $5000 dollars worth of camera equipment take pictures worse then my cell phone. Your talent is really the limit here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.