Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LSD
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
SlowCelica94
I was wondering if anyone here had an LSD and if so, what'd you think about it? Where'd you get it, how much was it, and do you like it? I was thinking an LSD would really help 1/4mile time...
kuya1284
QUOTE (SlowCelica94 @ Dec 19, 2003 - 10:50 PM)
I was wondering if anyone here had an LSD and if so, what'd you think about it? Where'd you get it, how much was it, and do you like it? I was thinking an LSD would really help 1/4mile time...

What kind of mods do you have?
SlowCelica94
Just an intake and short shifter
kuya1284
QUOTE (SlowCelica94 @ Dec 20, 2003 - 8:04 AM)
Just an intake and short shifter

In that case, LSD will do nothing for you. You're not putting out enough torque to justify the need for one. Do you have plans for any other mods?
Jason
Do you even know what LSD is? rolleyes.gif
SlowCelica94
Yes assclown, I do know what an LSD is. I think you could still beifit from one cuz it's going to be easier to hook up traction with both tires are spinning then one. Also, it makes tire wear even, which is nice of maintance reasons, and an LSD would make it easier to get around in the snow. Bottom line is, you drive better with 2 wheels pushing power, then just one.
Jason
With the torque we have, your tires shouldn't be spinning period, launch correctly with your clutch. LSD is a waste of money until your pushing power. Save the money for a Turbo kit. As far as snow goes, don't drive in it.
SlowCelica94
Um, my tires spin when i punch the gas. What RPM are you launching at?
Jason
With an Intake, Underdrive Pulley and Exhaust, launching at about 1600-1800RPM grabs and takes off for me.
kuya1284
QUOTE (SlowCelica94 @ Dec 20, 2003 - 3:31 PM)
Um, my tires spin when i punch the gas. What RPM are you launching at?

Your tires aren't spinning... You're probably just peelin out due to your tires. Why don't you describe to me whats going on...

But what Jason said is correct.
SlowCelica94
Well my tires do suck a **** load. I tired launching at around 6 grand once....madd tire spining.
dcgoalie312
why would you even try to launch at 6 grand that is just stupid... you need to practice so you will know when and where you should drop your clutch an not burn your tires up
NEVERSTOP
if your having a problem with overrevin your launches the get a rev limiter launch box.. there like 150$ and work like a dream...

BTW there is no need to get a lsd for your set up now - not being a dick just stating the obvious... also what type of motor you have? and do they even make an LSD for it? Not familiar with the 7a too much and havent had a need to look into the 5sfe for years
kuya1284
QUOTE (SlowCelica94 @ Dec 20, 2003 - 8:25 PM)
Well my tires do suck a **** load. I tired launching at around 6 grand once....madd tire spining.

6K?????????? No wonder why you're PEELING OUT...

But if you REALLY want something... Look into Phantom Grip... It's gonna be a waste of money and WON'T do anything see you aren't putting down enough torque... but go ahead and try...
97sccelica
QUOTE (SlowCelica94 @ Dec 20, 2003 - 7:25 PM)

might as well launch in 2nd gear
NEVERSTOP
might as well launch in 2nd gear

But if you REALLY want something... Look into Phantom Grip... It's gonna be a waste of money and WON'T do anything see you aren't putting down enough torque... but go ahead and try...

or he could look into some better tires that would prolly help too - my room mate had a big prob with torque steering in his 03 tiburon gtv6 until he put new rims and toyo tires on it and he can drop it at 3grand and just barely cherp em wink.gif
SlowCelica94
I have a 5sfe. I was just thinking an LSD would be a cleaver way to get a touch quicker off the line. Cuz i'm thinking the 3sgte swap is pretty expensive at 7k. And boosting a 6g isn't worth the cash to only be running with GT Stangs. (in my opinion) I have friends who boosted 3g eclipses, S14 240SXs and are in mid to high 13s.
97sccelica
QUOTE (SlowCelica94 @ Dec 21, 2003 - 10:35 AM)
I have a 5sfe. I was just thinking an LSD would be a cleaver way to get a touch quicker off the line. Cuz i'm thinking the 3sgte swap is pretty expensive at 7k. And boosting a 6g isn't worth the cash to only be running with GT Stangs. (in my opinion) I have friends who boosted 3g eclipses, S14 240SXs and are in mid to high 13s.

my cousin had a 2000 mustang GT with 3.73 gears, pacesetter off road h pipe, and borla exhaust

ran 13's. ad forced induction to the mix and you have a crazy fast car.

the engine in 240's take pretty well to boost and the high displacement helps make more power.

boost 6gc's can run low 14's reliably once you get them tuned
gas65
QUOTE (SlowCelica94 @ Dec 21, 2003 - 3:25 AM)

At 6 grand I'm surprised you did'nt launch the pistons out of the engine. biggrin.gif

Makes mental note to not buy your car or mechanical parts if you decide to sell later on, DAMN your hard on your car. biggrin.gif
Andason
QUOTE (SlowCelica94 @ Dec 21, 2003 - 11:35 AM)

I have a friend who spent over 20,000 to build up an LT1 for his Camaro to be at low 12s high 11s

For the ratio say a 90's mustang 5.0 = 215 hp
ST-185 3sgte (2.0 liter) 66% less displ. = 215 hp

Sad... isn't it?
macavely
hey slowcelica94 ... if you want it and have the money for it get it... it's your time and money and you can spend it anyway you want... and how knows if you have a LSD it might help... you never know.... so any one telling you its a waste of money well it's not theirs it's yours... us it for what ever you want..
Kwanza
QUOTE (Andason @ Dec 21, 2003 - 9:06 PM)

Not a fair comparison considering it's turbo vs n/a... If you boost a 5.0 V8 the same psi as the 3sgte... it'll make a lot more power because of the very large displacement (actually a 4.6 liter motor)... As far as n/a motors go, Japanese motors typically make a lot more hp per liter... but typically, they also lack displacment and they come from the factory very well tuned. The big american V8's... being very large in displacement, have much less hp per liter, because they don't come from the factory as highly tuned as most Japanese 4 bangers... so there are a bunch of cans of whoop-ass to open up.
97sccelica
QUOTE (Kwanza @ Dec 21, 2003 - 8:48 PM)
QUOTE (Andason @ Dec 21, 2003 - 9:06 PM)

Not a fair comparison considering it's turbo vs n/a... If you boost a 5.0 V8 the same psi as the 3sgte... it'll make a lot more power because of the very large displacement (actually a 4.6 liter motor)... As far as n/a motors go, Japanese motors typically make a lot more hp per liter... but typically, they also lack displacment and they come from the factory very well tuned. The big american V8's... being very large in displacement, have much less hp per liter, because they don't come from the factory as highly tuned as most Japanese 4 bangers... so there are a bunch of cans of whoop-ass to open up.

that's so true

plus, simple mods on a 5.0 mustang do a lot. ford makes very restrictive exhaust setups. the newer mustangs have 6 cats.

also, dont forget the amount of low end torque v8 engines tend to make.
van95st
QUOTE (97sccelica @ Dec 21, 2003 - 10:09 PM)

also, dont forget the amount of low end torque v8 engines tend to make.

and if we're talking quarter mile times low end torque will beat high end horsepower. But don't tell vtec owners that.
SpedToe169
and if we're talking quarter mile times low end torque will beat high end horsepower. But don't tell vtec owners that.

Thats so right. Whats really funny is that most people don't fathom the fact that they're really the same thing expressed in different ways. In simplified engineering terms.....Torque is the amount of work an engine can do and horsepower is how fast the engine can do that work (in this expression, work could be definied as moving the car from point A to point B). Seems straightforward enough right? On a dyno you don't measure hp. What is measured is torque and the hp is a calculated channel based on torque and rpm. Confused yet? If anybody cares, read this:

http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

or this

http://www.dynacam.com/Product/Torque_vs__...horsepower.html
SlowCelica94
I suppose there are better ways to spend ur money then on an LSD, escailly, this early in the game for me. Thanks guys
97sccelica
QUOTE (SpedToe169 @ Dec 23, 2003 - 2:41 PM)

Thats so right. Whats really funny is that most people don't fathom the fact that they're really the same thing expressed in different ways. In simplified engineering terms.....Torque is the amount of work an engine can do and horsepower is how fast the engine can do that work (in this expression, work could be definied as moving the car from point A to point B). Seems straightforward enough right? On a dyno you don't measure hp. What is measured is torque and the hp is a calculated channel based on torque and rpm. Confused yet? If anybody cares, read this:

http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

or this

http://www.dynacam.com/Product/Torque_vs__...horsepower.html

i alwys knew a little about that but i learned about it in depth in my physics class this past semester.
97GTinKC
I personally think it should be illegal to sell a car in the snow belt WITHOUT a LSD.
XXX_Mina
I have LSD smile.gif i cant imagine my car without it.... one day ill upgrade it, for now the LSD mr2 tranny is good enough.
OOBE
LSD makes for a bad ass trip...ohh you mean limited slip differential? Yeah, that's cool tongue.gif
Jabberwock
I posted about a LSD but no one is answering it and its not gettin many looks.

But I saw a 5SFE LSD for a 87-92 celica from Phantom Grip and was wondering if that fit onto our GT's.
kuya1284
QUOTE (Jabberwock @ Dec 27, 2003 - 7:40 PM)
I posted about a LSD but no one is answering it and its not gettin many looks.

But I saw a 5SFE LSD for a 87-92 celica from Phantom Grip and was wondering if that fit onto our GT's.

Probably because Phantom Grip isn't a true LSD unit... wink.gif

The concept is great... and I've heard it works pretty well tho...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.