Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of switching oil
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
NYp8tBaller07
So being in school and having no money I'm thinking of switching oil. ATM I use Mobil 1 10W30, I like it but its about $30-$35 per 5qt so that plus oil filter adds up to almost $40 per oil change and I just cant to that. I'm thinking of going to rotella as 10W30 is $16 per 5qt.

Anyone have any thoughts of shell rotella? From what I have been reading its pretty good.
BonzaiCelica
Hmm well I usually buy Mobil 1 Synthetic 5 quart at Walmart for $30 plus tax. I think mobil might be overpriced a bit due to advertisement and name. ya i've heard supra kid say that rotella is supposedly pure sythetic and better than mobil 1????
NYp8tBaller07
Well I've spent a while reading reviews and everyone says its better and at half the price and longer oil change intervals.
808celica
Rotella, as in Shell Rotella?? Why don't you step down to Mobile Super Conventional I'm sure its less that $4 per qt in the Mainland, as it's $4.99 per qt. here.
NYp8tBaller07
QUOTE (808celica @ Nov 26, 2011 - 12:29 AM) *
Rotella, as in Shell Rotella?? Why don't you step down to Mobile Super Conventional I'm sure its less that $4 per qt in the Mainland, as it's $4.99 per qt. here.

yea shell rotella, lol and 1qt is $4
808celica
1qt of the Mobil Super?? I dont recommend Rotella lolz just dont please
NYp8tBaller07
no $4 for rotella and your the first person Ive come across that has said no to it, why is that?
808celica
well i had customers complain about the rotella turning black real fast or just disappearing. These are on a wide range of cars
Bitter
Shell Rotella is for commercial and heavy duty diesel applications, as such has high antiwear additives which may harm a gasoline engine's catalytic converter if you're burning oil. That being said, I run M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-30 in my 2ZZ to better protect the high lift cam lobes, however your engines have none of that metal to metal contact. You'd be fine running any conventional oil with a good filter or any synthetic or synthetic blend with a good filter. Valvoline Max-Life synthetic with a Purolator Pureone should be a good combination, just remember that with any oil you need to check the level regularly. I check every 500 on the Celica and every 800-1000 on the Mazda (which runs 0W-30 M1).
NYp8tBaller07
QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 26, 2011 - 10:52 AM) *
Shell Rotella is for commercial and heavy duty diesel applications, as such has high antiwear additives which may harm a gasoline engine's catalytic converter if you're burning oil. That being said, I run M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-30 in my 2ZZ to better protect the high lift cam lobes, however your engines have none of that metal to metal contact. You'd be fine running any conventional oil with a good filter or any synthetic or synthetic blend with a good filter. Valvoline Max-Life synthetic with a Purolator Pureone should be a good combination, just remember that with any oil you need to check the level regularly. I check every 500 on the Celica and every 800-1000 on the Mazda (which runs 0W-30 M1).

it says its safe to run in both gas and diesel motors.
Bitter
it is*

*may contain zinc bearing additives that react negatively with catalyst materials

Not to mention, you live in NY, what are you doing running 10w-30 in the winter? It should be 5w-30 or 0w-30 unless you have severe oil leaks or are burning high amounts of oil.
NYp8tBaller07
QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 26, 2011 - 3:46 PM) *
it is*

*may contain zinc bearing additives that react negatively with catalyst materials

Not to mention, you live in NY, what are you doing running 10w-30 in the winter? It should be 5w-30 or 0w-30 unless you have severe oil leaks or are burning high amounts of oil.

If my cat goes its not that big a deal because my uncle can just make me an exhaust and I don't have to pass emissions. Also it's not that cold yet and till I replace the valve cover gasket I'm running the 10W30 ATM.
soulshadow
Just get the cheapest oil change specials at local auto parts retailers.
Smaay
i use plain old oil i get at costco.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.