Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice for 95 GT Convertible with Blown Head? Gilroy Ca.
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Jupiter
Anyone out there care to give some advice?

My daughter ran her 1995 GT Convertible with a pinhole leak in the radiator until it stopped. It starts and runs ok but the head or head gasket (or block?) is gone and it turns into a geyser after 3 miles on the road. Engine has/had 170k on it. 22L engine. Check engine light comes on if you run it after a mile or so... maybe high pressure in cooling system? Wasn't on before she cooked it. Still has the pinhole leak (plugged with Blue Magic quick seal) in the radiator.. No water in the oil. no oil in the coolant, just lots of pressure in the cooling system when you start it up.

Used engine (50k) installed locally will cost her $2800.00 so maybe $3100.00 with a radiator.... What the car is worth I suppose.

State of California will give me $1000.00 for it and crush it 1/2 hour later.

Worth posting for sale in Gilroy California? Don't want to part it out...

A mechanic could put a new head on the car and have a nice, relatively straight (no accidents just bumps and bruises) convertible, decent top that works (3yo glass rear window with defroster), all windows work, recent clutch, recent rear brakes.... Only mechanical problem before she cooked it was a slight synch problem going into third gear you don't notice after driving it for an hour.... We bought it ($5800.00) that way six years ago.

Lots of other extras and several minor problems.. high beams don't work, antenna doesn't go up and down anymore, cruise control stopped working Clifford alarm/keyless entry quit working, paint on hood is missing almost all the clear coat.... Rest of paint and body looks pretty good, never been in an accident that we know of, previous owner didn't report any damage from before we bought it in 2004.

All black paint and interior, leather seats are pretty good, replaced two of them recently from a yard......

If I post it for sale with photos does anyone think maybe a fan could rescue the little thing? I may try Craigslist, but I hate talking to fools about a car they don't understand...

Is it worth posting in the "for sale area?" or should I have the air board put it down for $1000.00?

Don't want to part it out and I'd take what the State will give me for it cash...

any Californians want a project car? I'd have to sell it non-op.
mkernz22
if the car is in good condition, don't put it in the crusher! these cars are beginning to get more rare as time goes on. Put it in the FS section on here and see you get any takers!
nics
how do you sell the car to the state?

That happened on my 95. I had the cylinder head, radiator, gaskets and timing belt for about $1000. This was done 2 years ago and in SoCal.

It is actually up to you if you still or your daughter wants to keep it. I doesn't matter how much money you spend on it as long a you still want to keep it.
njccmd2002
just the convertible parts alone, are difficult to get now a days, a nice engine swap is in order, but a mechanic will rip u off, those engines are a dime a dozen i sold mine for 200 bucks, and it takes a weekned at home to install..

but its a shame to se that one crushed.

pt it on ebay with a reserve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.