Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My CEL Complex (EGR Related)
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
XxDarkLightning
I have been doing a lot of research on how all these components I describe work, and I feel it could be a common problem to the average car customizer. I am probably over looking a solution or my case is very specific:

I have a 98 Celica GT and last winter I put new custom cams from Delta Cams, bought the eBay header, straight piped the cat, and added a Flowmaster Hushflow muffler. I kept the diameter of the exhaust stock. Shortly after doing all these mods I started getting a CEL for EGR insufficient flow and one for EGR excessive flow and also a intermittent rough idle. As usual, I checked the functionality of the EGR valve and noticed it was sticking open so I cleaned it up, tried again, same outcome. I replaced with a new OEM one. Then my next idea was to check the VSV. Sure enough it had a small leak when I tried to create a vacuum on it and replaced that with new OEM. Now I only get EGR insufficient flow and rough idle is less often.

I started reading about the EGR and what the computer looks for to signal the insuffiecient flow and see it looks at MAP sensor (functioned fine). However I read aout needing back pressure to get the exhaust gasses back up into the intake and was wondering if that is my cause that I do not have enough back pressure which would show a vacuum still by the MAP sensor and signal computer that EGR didn't open enough even though it did.

I feel modders would have this problem frequently and was wondering what they do typically to resolve it or do you just accept it and carry on?

Thanks for reading,
Brad (Long time reader, short time poster)
Batman722
I'm not sure about a 96+ but for the 94-95 just put the 2 egr temp wires together and that usually does the trick.
Smaay
i have been fighting the same CEL for years, i havent checked the VSV but ill do that when i put the engine back in the car.
XxDarkLightning
Batman there are no temp wires on my EGR unfortunately. Thanks tho. Anyone else got some tips or shady mechanics haha
XxDarkLightning
Also I took a freeze frame of my system when the CEL came on one time. Here:

Global OBDII

Non OBD Freeze Frame

Frame 1 Mod $10
TROUB CODE P0401
ENG SPEED RPM 3023
CALC LOAD % 63.5
MAP KPA 64
COOLANT F 199
IAT F 60
ST FTRM1 % -7.7
LT FTRM1 % 4.6
ST FTRM3 % 88.2
LT FTRM3 % -99.3
VEH SPEED MPH 60
FUEL SYS 1 CLSD
FUEL SYS 2 N/A

Global OBDII

Non OBDCodes

DTCs

P0401 Mod $10
EGR Flow
Insufficient

Global OBDII

Non OBDCodes

Pending DTCs

P0401 Mod $10
<PENDING>
EGR Flow
Insufficient
b22ri22an
for a year i was pulling a p0401 replaced everything (egr valve, vacuum modulator, vsv and all rubber hosing) it turned out to be excessive carbon where the tube to the egr valve connects to the exhaust on the exhaust side not in the tube itself. 1 month now without a CEL on

(not my pic)

mechanic said a literal wall of carbon built up in the inside of the head where the tube connects, after cleaning it out i haven't had a p0401 CEL since
XxDarkLightning
Hey everyone,

I have been busy at work with no time to update this until now. b22ri22an my head was off recently and thoroughly cleaned. I just checked minutes ago and there is still no blockage due to carbon where you suggested. Sp I am still where I left off. Anyone else have any input or things they have succeeded with? Much appreciated!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.