Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rave's Next Progression Thread
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
rave2n
Well...might have to put this one on hold for a 2 months.

Just got word on another place potentially to move to.

More modern, has a lot less issues, and a real full garage. Going to have to pack up the celica, put the hubs and wheels back on, and tow it to the new place in 6 weeks.

Didn't want to move again, but this is the best place in town for the price, right near work, and has everything I wanted.
cheela
all i read was garage. biggrin.gif
njccmd2002
oh man, thats a delay, but the garage makes it worth the wait. or you can store the car in a 10x20 storage room in the mean time and work there...
rave2n
Sold the 5sfe yesterday...

Well..let me correct that.

I sold a 3sfe that I thought was a 5sfe.

Guy noticed by checking the block codes, and after some exchanges in texts, we made a deal. Not all the funds I wanted, but hey its better than a heavy paper weight in my car port.

He delivers for a living and is going to use it as a spare, as his 5s is starting to knock in his 91.
rave2n
Engine bay spray...first coat...

Quickie...

ricochet1490
Plan on cutting in all the door jams with that same color?
rave2n
QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Aug 17, 2014 - 8:10 PM) *
Plan on cutting in all the door jams with that same color?

Yessir, matches well with the plastidip, hides that is used to be a red car
rave2n
So...I'm still here.

6 years into Celicas, and I'm not spent yet.

2014 was a hard year financially, and I hit a few setbacks on the build. When family, specifically your mother, needs help. To me, there is no option, but to cut expenses and help family. For me that was the celica....Paying my mothers mortgage on top of my own expenses really broke the bank, and my motivation for some time.

2015 is looking better. The lady of the house has completed schooling, and is in works to be employed at 2 hospitals in this area. My mothers life seems to be evening out, and my work is as stable as its ever been.

So with that, I'm attempting to dive back into this. I know I've been saying it for years, but I will complete this project. I refuse to give up.

Where it stands now:

My S54 is ****. I needs to be rebuilt/refurbished. That was one of the big kinks in my chain. The spare S54 was not even a S54, my mistake. At least it was at no cost.

So my current goal is to get the S54 to a shop for new bearings, and a once over on the gears. Once that is done, I can finally drop the engine, and begin the wiring.

I'm really not far from finishing it, just this transmission snag, at the cost of roughly 1200 dollars is what got me. I'm debating sourcing another one,but frankly I don't want to put trash in what I've spent so long working on.

So with my credit cards finally dropping down to reasonable amounts, except things to start moving along in the next 2 months or so.

I have lots of prep and clean up...and rust to deal with from my laziness.
cheela
family always comes first. but glad you're still around and not giving up on your celi. smile.gif
antoine64
It's a complicated project. Sometimes those things can take time. I've spent many many many hours and years on car projects. You'll get it eventually. I'm just finishing up a celica with a 3SGTE swap and massive issues. It's hard to stay motivated when you fix one problem and find 3 more. It's also tough when it just sits in the yard not moving and you want so bad to drive it. So don't give up!
rave2n
Got the transmission to a shop this afternoon.

Progress! Should know the results by Tuesday.

Appreciate all the words!
rave2n
No word back from the shop on the transmission. Leaving them alone, as I suspect they had to order the bearings I requested replaced, making it a little longer then expected. Wait til monday, then ask what is going on.

On other news.

Fiiiinally found a place to move to. A little while back we were looking to grab another nice place with a garage, but that fell through. So we sat on the current place for a year, and finally got frustrated enough with the sewage condition and started looking again.

Found another place, fits our needs, but what you guys care about. It has a garage! Finally, I can tinker in peace. Approved today, just need to iron out the lease details.

The good thing about the move is I need to compile my whole project as its just scattered around right now. Packing it all up, and towing it with the Jeep by the end of the month.

I like where 2015 is going....
SwissFerdi
Good luck. thumbsup.gif Where in Gainesville? A garage is where it's at, such nice...
rave2n
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Mar 6, 2015 - 12:07 PM) *
Good luck. thumbsup.gif Where in Gainesville? A garage is where it's at, such nice...

Right off Newberry, behind this Sport's bar call ballyhoo or something.

Haha yea, we ironing out the lease right now. Looking forward to easier living.
Zeros2
Awesome project, I'm going to get started on my 97 gt here fixing up a 96 tacoma to flip for my funds! Good luck on your car ill be watching smile.gif
rave2n
Well, once again the new place fell through. This town is just..a pain when it comes to renting, and buying is not in the future for this town.

But, to the important things.

Got the old exhaust off, and working to get the new one on. Its an under rear axle 3 inch style, but its not making much sense to me on how to hang, but I'll figure that out, or just tow it to a shop and say have fun.

FINALLY picked up the transmission today. What started at 500 dollars, became 800 dollars. Kinda why I hate shops, but it is what it is. Bearings were expensive from the dealer, and I do not have a press large enough for the job. Gota pay to play.

Either or, they did a once over, all the gears are good, syncros are good, and everything else needed has been replaced. Seals, bearings, o-rings etc etc.

No LSD, but it will do until I have the car running, ran for a while, and invest in something else down the road.

Ah, I have a new buddy. Hes keeping me busy as hell, but, hopefully I can train him to bring me tools eventually....

Lincoln is the name, English Mastiff is his game.

rave2n
Cleaning the transmission..

Dirty dirty

Bit better, some more nip picking cleaning to do.

ricochet1490
Get that garage?
rave2n
QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ May 24, 2015 - 10:04 PM) *
Get that garage?

Given up on the garage. Just trudging forward
antoine64
That's a shiny transmission! I recently bought a 10x15 plastic shed at Home Depot for my Celica. It was only $200. Not as good as a garage but It saved me from working in the rain and snow a few times.
rave2n
QUOTE (antoine64 @ May 25, 2015 - 12:53 AM) *
That's a shiny transmission! I recently bought a 10x15 plastic shed at Home Depot for my Celica. It was only $200. Not as good as a garage but It saved me from working in the rain and snow a few times.

Oh I have a carport, I'm just being selfish =P - Lots of bugs in FL

Cleaned up the carport, lowered the Celica back to the ground, got the engine off the stand, and getting ready to install the clutch assembly. Have to acquire Flywheel bolts, hoping a place tomorrow in town has them. Once that is done, I can start throwing everything back together.

enderswift
woooo! turbo!
rave2n
QUOTE (enderswift @ May 25, 2015 - 10:39 PM) *
woooo! turbo!

haha, it did feel good to get it off the stand, and see that turbo!

ARP Flywheel bolts ordered, come in tomorrow from a local dealer. Almost paid 85 on Amazon for next day, but got lucky and found this shop with stock in Miami for only 60. Might be bugging them for future work being I really didn't like the last shop I went too. The only other shop work I NEED done is to get the exhaust welded and hung, but if these guys prove honest, I may find some other things for them.

Was planning on using my old ones again, since its kinda on the fence if they are re-usable or not. Seen stories where they sheered, seen stories where they last 100k miles or more. Everything install is different. Problem was I lost 1 of them, so the gota do it right..

So hopefully I can get the flywheel on tomorrow, and start lining up the clutch & plate for the transmission install this weekend when I have a bunch of time.
rave2n
Well managed to get the flywheel on....

If you see that rusty bolt on the left of the case, that is what I used with a large fork tool into one of the flywheel teeth to install the bolts. 72ft-lbs

I wanted to install the clutch and pressure plate as well, but it appears I have misplaced or given away my pressure plate bolts. I figured wth, the kit I got from southbend will have some in there, but nope. Per usual, I always discover I misplaced something on a Sunday when none of the stores needed are open. Oh well, try all the fastener places in town tomorrow. Hoping I'm not having to order simple M8-1.25-12mm hard 6+ x 6. Just want to grab and get moving, I think I can get by with m8-1.25-10mm as long as they are 8+ hard. We'll see...

Found these laying around, I think they are pressure plate bolts but cannot confirm, plus I only have 4. If anyone can confirm they are, I'll go on the hunt for the other 2...

Finished cleaning up the transmission. Applied some clear coat to limit oxidation. Not perfect, but not bad for a 20 year old transmission either...

enderswift
Rave. Get NEW pressure plate bolts from toyota. Use loctite and torque them to 22 ftlbs, not 14. The fsm is wrong. I reused old bolts and torqued to 14 only to have them back out on me. Ripping out a trans to fix something so small is really rea)y annoying
rave2n
QUOTE (enderswift @ Jun 2, 2015 - 8:12 AM) *
Rave. Get NEW pressure plate bolts from toyota. Use loctite and torque them to 22 ftlbs, not 14. The fsm is wrong. I reused old bolts and torqued to 14 only to have them back out on me. Ripping out a trans to fix something so small is really rea)y annoying

Roger that, appreciate the tip! Toyota was claiming they'd have to order them, 3 days. Blah. Our dealer in this area isn't overly helpful.

So I found a fastener place in town, and picked up some M8x1.25x12mm hard 10.2, so they should do the trick. I doubt I'll snap the heads off these, specially with the increase in torque.

That would drive me insane to just pull the trans again for pressure plate bolts! I'll use my blue loctite heavily =)
bsamps4
I was kind of surprised by the fsm as well. I think I torqued mine to around 22 as well. I just kind of set them to "tight" Plus. 14 ft pounds isn't even enough to get the pressure plate to sit flush on the flywheel. Those dowel pins have a bit of force to them.
enderswift
QUOTE (rave2n @ Jun 2, 2015 - 9:32 AM) *
QUOTE (enderswift @ Jun 2, 2015 - 8:12 AM) *

Roger that, appreciate the tip! Toyota was claiming they'd have to order them, 3 days. Blah. Our dealer in this area isn't overly helpful.

So I found a fastener place in town, and picked up some M8x1.25x12mm hard 10.2, so they should do the trick. I doubt I'll snap the heads off these, specially with the increase in torque.

That would drive me insane to just pull the trans again for pressure plate bolts! I'll use my blue loctite heavily =)

I was indeed thoroughly pissed off.
rave2n
Clutch and plate engaged!

Did run into one small issue. I wanted to put some lock washers on the pressure plate bolts I just acquired, but its turns out they are not 12mm.

They are 10mm, my calipers don't lie. So either they were boxed wrong, or fastener lady mis understood me. So as you can imagine that made things a little tight, and being when installing the pressure plate the dow pins then restrict it from going flush with the flywheel until tightened down.

Had to get out a c-clamp and there is one section where you can put some pressure on the plate from the back of the flywheel. So, get a couple threads in, turn it, repeat till all 6 were in, but not tightened down. Star pattern the rest. Lots of loctite, 22ft/lbs.

It tightens down to spec, or higher, and the bolts are extra hard. I'm feeling confident I shouldn't have issue with these later on...or more so hope so =)
mkernz22
Looks good so far! Lock washers are definitely overkill as you only need some loctite on them. Never had an issue and those aren't something that'll back out if they're properly torqued.
kurt95gt
Good to see your still working on this man!
rave2n
QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Jun 5, 2015 - 12:19 AM) *
Good to see your still working on this man!

Haha thanks, its slow going, but its going. Literally have no time, but have the motivation. So, as long as I get some progress I'm happy.

Transmission is on.

Next pictures should come a much different angle.
rave2n
So, I got tired of teasing you guys about a garage, so I didn't post till it happened.

Thus, GARAGE!

cheela

SwissFerdi
x 2.81 gigawatts

I had a garage in the last place but not this one, I miss it. Congratulations!
rave2n
Anyone know the order in which the injector wires plug in? They seem to go brown white brown white connectors, but I can't recall now.

Trying to put the harness back on, but I removed the plastic, and now I can't figure out which wire goes to which injector.

Bah, looks like I'm looking up the wire colors. Time to dust off the old diagram.

If you read my whine earlier, ignore it. Rough month.
rave2n
Got some work done today.

Have much time nowadays. Lady and I of 10 years split, and been trying to fill the void. The Celica proves its worth once again.

Harness is back on, found a schematic and was able to match up the wire colors with injectors properly. Only a few dangling connectors, but I'm pretty sure they are for intercooler and relays etc.

New hub and etc put on after the tow truck stripped the bearing out the last. Had one laying around so it worked out quite well. Dust shield is pretty much rusted out, but something to replace another day. Have another laying around, but don't want to pull the spindle/bearing out.

Started cleaning up the crossmember, and trying to find all the bolts. Some things have been moved from their locations & labeling in the latest move. Its all here..just, has to be found.

So, just a few things to tidy up in the bay, get the mounts ready, and down the engine goes. TOOOOOOON more to do, but I'll be happy to get that engine out of the air.

enderswift
Keep at it man. The first time you hit boost it'll be aaallll worth it
rave2n
QUOTE (enderswift @ Dec 13, 2015 - 12:25 AM) *
Keep at it man. The first time you hit boost it'll be aaallll worth it

Truth!

--

So you guys like progress eh?

Well here ya go.

Out of the bay before the timing and such was completed.

Completed getting it off the hoist, and the side mounts attached. Was a little to worn to get the crossmember and do the rear mount fight. Next weekend maybe, I'm happy with the progress for the amount of time I put in, and searching for hardware lol.

As you can see, I have PLENTY to do still. This was a huge step for me though, this bay has been empty for over a year, and hauling stuff around was quite taxing. Now it feels like a project I can complete. Lets just hope I don't have to pull the assembly any time soon!
enderswift
hard part looks to be over! You should feel like you're making quick progress now thumbsup.gif

Standing by for updates smile.gif

njccmd2002
at least the progress is not dead, thats what counts.
CelicaDICE
Keep it up man! thumbsup.gif
cheela
always nice to see more progress when I pop in here. keep it up!
rave2n
Ello again folks, and thanks again for the e-motivation wink.gif

Been just messing around with things, nothing really major. Finding hardware, fighting all these vacuum lines and such.

Speaking of which, can someone tell me which one to use if not both cause these 2 items aren't matching up to me. I'm almost sure you use just the right one, but after planning 2 years ago and never touching it, I kinda lost all that...

Most other things seem to be going OK.

Seems the shifter cables are oddly to short, possibly have them routed wrong in relation to the steering rack.

The fuel line doesn't quite make it to the filter..well it does, but I'm not overly content with how tight that is. May have to find another solution for that.

But once I get these few items situated, I'm going to start tearing apart the wiring. I'd appreciate any tips or links that give a through walkthrough on the wiring. I keep hearing, its just 6 wires so...maybe it is that easy =)
antoine64
I know that if you change the transmission to something other than the one that came with the 5sfe engine (s54??) that you have to use GT4 shift cables. My transmission is out of an MR2 and I needed the longer cables.

As far as the charcoal canister goes, the one on the left is what's in my car although that may be the stock US Celica version. I don't know if it really matters all that much as long as you can connect all the vacuum hoses.

By the way, don't make the mistake of plugging the idle air supply hose that runs out from under the throttle body or connecting it to vacuum. The previous owner did that to my car. The idle air supply needs to connect right after your air filter or have a separate air filter. I went through and straightened out all my vacuum/air hoses and learned a lot about how these hoses connect. When I got my car it was idling at 1500rpm from vacuum leaks and bad adjustments.
enderswift
use the one on the right
Batman722
You can use either or none.
rave2n
QUOTE (antoine64 @ Dec 26, 2015 - 6:51 PM) *
I know that if you change the transmission to something other than the one that came with the 5sfe engine (s54??) that you have to use GT4 shift cables. My transmission is out of an MR2 and I needed the longer cables.

As far as the charcoal canister goes, the one on the left is what's in my car although that may be the stock US Celica version. I don't know if it really matters all that much as long as you can connect all the vacuum hoses.

By the way, don't make the mistake of plugging the idle air supply hose that runs out from under the throttle body or connecting it to vacuum. The previous owner did that to my car. The idle air supply needs to connect right after your air filter or have a separate air filter. I went through and straightened out all my vacuum/air hoses and learned a lot about how these hoses connect. When I got my car it was idling at 1500rpm from vacuum leaks and bad adjustments.

Appreciate the tips!

I am using the S54, so the cables should reach just fine, but possible I just didn't have the engine in the right position at the time. Its been a long time since I took them off. Its realllly close, 1 fits fine, the other is just like a quarter inch and it'll sit in its ring.

Did swap to the right canister, figured if I have it, might as well use it lol. Some of the lines I'm still confused on, but I'll figure those out eventually. I just need to dig through the threads and find some good pics.

QUOTE (enderswift @ Dec 26, 2015 - 7:54 PM) *
use the one on the right

Much Grass - Used that one, few lines are confusing but I'll figure it out.

QUOTE (Batman722 @ Dec 26, 2015 - 9:52 PM) *
You can use either or none.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------

So went at it this morning. Swapped out those canisters, still figuring the lines, but all in due time. Couple other lines and connectors sorted out.

Did the dance with the rear mount. Typically I would be fighting it for hours, but I put 30 minutes into it, took a break and came back and get it done in 10 minutes. I cheated though, I lowered the sub-frame to get that little bit of clearance =)

Need to go pick up a new fuel line sometime next week. It fits, probably be fine, but I can grab a SS one down the street so figure why not, and maybe tuck it better.

That layer of dust really makes it look worn, but I did try to clean it up some. All in all, its just dirt.

Next weekend, after vacuum lines are sorted, its allll wiring time baby =) Oh yea, need to figure out studs for the down pipe. May just have to drill it out, and put some new hardware on.
rave2n
Finally figured out the shifter cable issue, which wasn't an issue. Was just me being semi-retarded...

For some reason I was trying to take them too far, whereas they just clipped in. Derp.

But, I also need some help folks. I've been searching for some good images of how people have these ran, but I just cannot find a good look.

In this image, would it be correct to place that line on the nipple next to the fuel line? - Its coming from a hardline off the wall near the charcoal canister.

Its the blue arrow in the next image.

For the right red arrow, is that line connected to the right hardline on the wall? The left red arrow, those smalls lines. I believe one goes up to the intake manifold right after the throttle body. Seems to be a few small connections up there. I'm curious to where the second one goes. I also thought there is suppose to be a line that vents to environment, but I don't see how that would happen either.

Last one...

Not sure where these buggers go. Air intake pipe?

Appreciate any tips, I get this figured out, I do wiring tomorrow wink.gif

I'm also up for deleting these items like Batman mentioned, if it would be easier to re-route and cap some things off, Im up for that. Just need a little direction and any potential side effects.
antoine64
in your first picture with the white arrows, that is the fuel return line. It connects to the end of the fuel rail on that nipple you point to with the white arrow. I recently had that line leaking fuel so I had to replace it. You might want to get a new hose while you've got things apart to avoid smelling gas. your red arrows image sounds correct. I think you want this hose to go to P or E on the throttle body providing vacuum when the throttle is open but no vacuum at idle. on the last picture those look like vacuum hoses but without seeing where the other end goes, I can't tell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.