Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NASTY MISFIRE NEED HELP BAD!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
justin3
So I have this nasty misfire, i started with the spark plugs and still the car had a little stuttering to it on the accelaration, and after a while when i would make stops, it would stuttered bad to a point where it looked liked it would turn off but it wouldnt, yesterday i changed the coil and wow now it jukes like crazy when im on the express way its jukes nasty to the point that you can get whiplash, if anyone has had this problem can you please help, its ****ing annoying

Thanks
ZoomZoom
Try changing your spark plug wires.
justin3
Any other suggestions besides that?
richee3
Check your timing?
jimmykay
change your cap / rotor?
Smaay
check your MAP sensor, see if its plugged in
justin3
where is the MAP sensor located?
Batman722
what coil did you change ?
justin3
the one thats inside the cap
Neon90424
my st205 would give big whiplash stuttering and massive fireballs because of spark plug wires grounding on the valve cover...check your cables
justin3
check what cables, the spark plug wires you mean?
RabidTRD
You may be getting proper spark, just not enough air or fuel. Did you get bad gas? Are your injectors clogged? When is the last time you changed your air filter, fuel filter, and cleaned out your throttlebody? Misfires aren't always in relation to spark... there are three parts to a fire. Air, fuel, and ignition... with out one of these parts, you don't have combustion.
Neon90424
yeah spark plug wires....you can always empty a bottle of carb cleaner into the intake see if it clears something up sometimes i hear its not a good idea tho...the engine should drown out if you spray too much of it at low revs...

if its the spark plug wires you should be able to hear them clicking when the spark misses
RobbMeeX
wat?

So you have a misfire. What cylinder(s)? Disconnect each injector separately. When there is no change, that cylinder is missing. You can stick a screwdriver to the injector and listen to the end to see if the injector is firing. Pull off the cap and check for buildup. If you've never changed any of these things, it might be worth doing as proper maintenance. Just use your head. Search the internet.
justin3
Ok update, I changed the spark plugs, plug wires, coil, rotor, and distributor cap, still having these nasty misfire in between 2500 RPMs and 3500 RMPs, before and after that it runs smooth, what could be the issue now?

Note... My car didnt seem to do this before i changed the coil, after i changed the coil it started doing this.
celicomx
When you changed the coil,do you touch anything else? did you put the correct coil? what about installing the old coil? do you know how to test de distributor coils?
finalate
It might be the order of your spark plug wires is wrong. When i changed my wires to the thick ones i have now, the first time i started the car, i had horrible missfire. I didnt even drive it because i knew it didnt sound right. So i check online for oem specs and found out the order i put the wires back on the distributor cap was wrong. so you might want to check that.

QUOTE (justin3 @ Feb 1, 2012 - 11:12 AM) *
Ok update, I changed the spark plugs, plug wires, coil, rotor, and distributor cap, still having these nasty misfire in between 2500 RPMs and 3500 RMPs, before and after that it runs smooth, what could be the issue now?

Note... My car didnt seem to do this before i changed the coil, after i changed the coil it started doing this.

michlowrider
If the coil made it worse put the old coil back on and start your diagnosis over. Just becuz it's new doesn't make it good!
Nemises
i say check the plug wires too. If their is a crack in any of them the car will stutter.
-m0nz-
sounds like wet sparkplugs!
look at them inspect em if theres any oil.. or maybe water on that!
try to use some Gas Add ons! try using Octane fuel.. that should dry it up if theres water in there..
that happened to me when i washed my engine bay lol. i did it first time idk how water got into my spark plugs but yea i went to autozone and the guy told me i have water on my spark plugs so he had me put in octane gas in my regular gas.. after 20 mins the car started running fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.