Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lightweight Batteries
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Interior/Audio/Electrical/Wiring
Tigawoods
Inform me of any mistakes!

Lightweight AGM/GEL batteries are a great alternative and are sometimes priced nearly the same as regular Lead Acid batteries

Just to touch on a few of the basics before we begin:

Cold Cranking Amps:

CCA is critical for good cranking ability. It's the number of amps a battery can support for 30 seconds at a temperature of 0 degrees F until the battery voltage drops to unusable levels. A 12V battery with a rating of 600 CCA means the battery will provide 600 amps for 30 seconds at 0 degrees before the voltage falls to 7.20 V (six cells).

In general, with CCA, the higher the number the better. HOWEVER, if you live in a cold climate, the CCA rating should be an important consideration in choosing a battery. Conversely, if you live in a high heat climate, you don't need as much CCA.

Battery Types:
AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) - i.e. Braille and Optima
Gel Cell - i.e. Oddessy

A couple differences between Gel and AGM
Gel batteries tend to lose power faster than AGM batteries in temperatures below 32°F. AGM batteries, on the other hand, excel in high current and high power applications as well as extremely cold environments.
Gel batteries typically have a higher price point, shorter life span and less size compatibility than their AGM counterparts.

Benefits of Lightweight Sealed Batteries
- can be mounted and used in almost any position (versus conventional batteries, which must remain upright)
- are sealed and non-spillable
- maintenance-free
- no fume emissions (trace)
- more resistant to vibration

Here is a detailed list of aftermarket batteries that may or may not fit your applications. If you want to get extreme, some of the lightweight batteries like Oddessy, Deka, Braille, etc are great. Although rugged they tend to lack the reliability of a large lead acid battery. Take this into consideration. Especially if your in a colder climate.

As far as I know - All the CCA for the manufacturers is done at 0F, and the CA at 32F, all this info is off the manufacturers websites.

If you want 100% factory reliability even at 0F you want to be shopping around for something that will have at least 360CCA.
For those of you where the weather gets in the negative digits (F) you will want something that has a CCA > 360 at 0F

If your car isnt on an extreme diet or you are trying to allocate space for other go-fast bits just stick with a regular lead acid store bought battery

READ THIS:
Deka Batteries are more than likely to be Deka ETX rebadged -- Their advertised CCA IS PROBABLY NOT PERFORMED AT 0F.
The Deka brand are the exact same battery as the Braille, just MUCH CHEAPER. Just different labeling. Braille operates under Deka.
(as of 2012)

AVG Weight of a regular replacement battery is around 37lbs.

By Brand:

Braille:
Braille B3121 ----------CCA: 550 ---- weight: 21lb ---------------- CA: 742
Braille B2015 ----------CCA: 425 ---- weight: 15lb ---------------- CA: 574
Braille B14115 ---------CCA: 360 ---- weight: 11lb,8oz ------------ CA: 486
Braille B106 -----------CCA: 210 ---- weight: 6lb,6oz ------------- CA: 283

The Braille B2317 and B2317R are meant to be combined (One Positively Charged the other Negative) To be able to run 24v
Information pertaining to the conditions the Braille batteries where tested in where not listed, Therefore the u
nusually high CCA kind of disproves the statement that DEKA and Braille are not similar but I am working on more info on that.

Deka:
Deka ETX30 -----------CCA: 370 ---- weight: 21.7lb
Deka ETX20 -----------CCA: 270 ---- weight: 15.5lb
Deka ETX18 -----------CCA: 300 ---- weight: 18lb
Deka ETX16 -----------CCA: 275 ---- weight: 17lb
Deka ETX14 -----------CCA: 200 ---- weight: 12lb
Deka ETX12 -----------CCA: 180 ---- weight: 9.4lb
Deka ETX9 -----------CCA: 120 ---- weight: 6.3lb

Odyssey:
Odyssey PC680 --------CCA: 220 --- weight: 15lb / 16lb For MJT*
Odyssey PC925/MJT ---CCA: 380 --- weight: 24lb / 26lb For MJT*

Optima:
Optima 34&34R --------CCA 800 -----weight: 37.9lb --------------- CA: 1000 (34R has reversed terminals)
Optima 37/78 ----------CCA 800 ---- weight: 38.8lb --------------- CA: 1000
Optima 75/25 ----------CCA 720 ---- weight: 33.1lb --------------- CA: 910
Optima 25&35 ---------CCA 720 ----- weight: 31.7lb --------------- CA: 910

Duralast:
Duralast 8AMU1R ------CCA: 330 ---- weight: 20lb
AGM Duracell Ultra SLIU1RT ------CCA:370 ---- weight: 24lbs

Marathon:
Marathon MAR-8AMU1R-CCA: 320 ---- weight: 25lb

By CCA:
Optima 34&34R --------CCA 800 -----weight: 37.9lb -------------- CA: 1000
Optima 37/78 ----------CCA 800 ---- weight: 38.8lb -------------- CA: 1000
Optima 75/25 ----------CCA 720 ---- weight: 33.1lb -------------- CA: 910
Optima 25&35 ---------CCA 720 ----- weight: 31.7lb -------------- CA: 910
Westco Miata ---------CCA: 475 ---- weight: 25lb
Odyssey PC925/MJT ---CCA: 380 ---- weight: 24lb / 26lb For
MJT*
Duracell Ultra SLIU1RT AGM ------CCA:370 ---- weight: 24lbs
Odyssey PC680 --------CCA: 220 ---- weight: 15lb / 16lb For
MJT*

By Weight:
Optima 37/78 ----------CCA 800 ---- weight: 38.8lb --------------- CA: 1000
Optima 34&34R --------CCA 800 -----weight: 37.9lb --------------- CA: 1000
Optima 75/25 ----------CCA 720 ---- weight: 33.1lb --------------- CA: 910
Optima 25&35 ---------CCA 720 ----- weight: 31.7lb --------------- CA: 910
Westco Miata ---------CCA: 475 ---- weight: 25lb
AGM Duracell Ultra SLIU1RT ------CCA:370 ---- weight: 24lbs
Odyssey PC925/MJT ---CCA: 380 --- weight: 24lb / 26lb For
MJT*
Odyssey PC680 --------CCA: 220 --- weight: 15lb / 16lb For
MJT*

*MJT: Metal Jacket + Terminals (MJT is applied to protect plastic case for extreme high heat conditions)

Warranty Information:

In my opinion this is a critical area when deciding which battery to go with. I will add more information as I get it.

Marathon MAR-8AMU1R (1Year Warranty)
Westco 12V31M (4 Year Warranty)
Duralast 8AMU1R (8Year Warranty - apparently WAS avaible at autozone)

More info:

DEKA:
Come with M6 Thread on terminals - you will need adapter to SAE automotive Terminals.
Rebadged as BigCrank, Braille and other brands // BigCrank has a cheap price.
808celica
What about using other car batteries in our cars, especially if you're doing a batt relocation?

The Honda Half-Brick group 51r and 51??? Pretty light and should do the job. Optima Yel51 is pretty light already. But then again it is also still a Half-brick. I'll look into some catalogs at work for some batteries
Tigawoods
yeah post up what you come up with
BonzaiCelica
since you do autocross, I'd suggest moving the light weight battery to the passenger side floor (to take the wheel off the front of the car, thus creating less understeer) well I don't have to spoon feed you this info, your probably know more than I do laugh.gif
808celica
dont forget, half your job is to remind me about this.........laugh.gif
yellowchinaman
sooooo size is most important for me which is why I'm using a caterham banner battery.
Which one of these are of a similar size or even smaller yet has a good crank and strong load because I know my battery isn't that good on load in these cold weather temps.
Tigawoods
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Feb 11, 2012 - 12:51 AM) *
since you do autocross, I'd suggest moving the light weight battery to the passenger side floor (to take the wheel off the front of the car, thus creating less understeer) well I don't have to spoon feed you this info, your probably know more than I do laugh.gif

Eventually I would like to do that. Either the passenger area or the rear passenger seat area.

QUOTE (808celica @ Feb 11, 2012 - 4:01 AM) *
dont forget, half your job is to remind me about this.........laugh.gif

You are a big boy! Im not holding you're hand ANYMORE!!!

QUOTE (yellowchinaman @ Feb 12, 2012 - 2:52 PM) *
sooooo size is most important for me which is why I'm using a caterham banner battery.
Which one of these are of a similar size or even smaller yet has a good crank and strong load because I know my battery isn't that good on load in these cold weather temps.

You can grab the model number listed and search for it. The Caterham is a medium sized battery, with only 300CCA.

For a reliable long lasting lightweight battery you will have to look at the ones in the 21LB range

Any lighter and you are looking at batteries that are used for a dedicated weekend track car.

I am still looking into the reliability of the Braille batteries and their 11lb 360cca battery.
yellowchinaman
QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Feb 13, 2012 - 9:39 AM) *
The Caterham is a medium sized battery, with only 300CCA.

Really? I always thought it was the smallest as I couldn't find any battery with enough cranking power smaller than the caterham banner battery.
BonzaiCelica
hehe I'm so glad our so cal weather (controlled by the government) is nice all year around!! It gets 45-100 degree all year around. So even the smallest battery have enough crank amps to fire up the celi on a winter day biggrin.gif
Tigawoods
QUOTE (yellowchinaman @ Feb 13, 2012 - 4:05 PM) *
QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Feb 13, 2012 - 9:39 AM) *
The Caterham is a medium sized battery, with only 300CCA.

Really? I always thought it was the smallest as I couldn't find any battery with enough cranking power smaller than the caterham banner battery.

The Braille may have a lighter one with more CCA but I still havent confirmed it yet.

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Feb 13, 2012 - 5:01 PM) *
hehe I'm so glad our so cal weather (controlled by the government) is nice all year around!! It gets 45-100 degree all year around. So even the smallest battery have enough crank amps to fire up the celi on a winter day biggrin.gif

DAMN YOU!!
yellowchinaman
I'll try and lok it up Tigs but pls do let me know if you find out first.
Another option I've been thinking is if one of these can fit within the arm rest storage. Doesn't matter if its taller cos I can sink it in deeper.
Bitter
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DUI-5575B/

I'm thinking about one of those, but I don't know how well they do with sitting around for periods of time.
DGolden32
Consider a Dry cell battery. They are more expensive per Amp hour, but are perfect for a lightweight, high output application if you dont mind payin a bit extra

Shuriken BT60 (about $160 shipped)has a CA rating of 1500 and weighs 36.8 lbs.

Shuriken BT35 (about $120 shipped) has a CA rating of 950 and weighs 25.5 lbs.

Shuriken BT20 (about $79 shipped)has a CA rating of 850 and weighs only 14 lbs.

I havent seen the CCA rating for these, but i believe dry cells are less sensitive to temperature. I am not 100% sure about that though
SwissFerdi
^ That's hella cheap, and 14 pounds. redface.gif I think I may have found my next battery, assuming it can deal with my temperature range. I'm in the same conditions as Bonzai.
BonzaiCelica
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Mar 2, 2012 - 11:15 AM) *
^ That's hella cheap, and 14 pounds. redface.gif I think I may have found my next battery, assuming it can deal with my temperature range. I'm in the same conditions as Bonzai.

yea seems to be a real good battery! http://www.sonicelectronix.com/reviews.php?product_id=17907

only complaint i've seen is that the terminals aren't the greatest... but nonetheless cheap battery biggrin.gif
Bitter
Around 650 CCA on that BT20. Rough rule of thumb is to divide CA by 1.25 and round down a little. Not bad for a little battery, I may just roll with that then. I have some threaded battery post terminals already.
DGolden32
DISCLAIMER

The [20] is for the amp hours. That being said, be extra vigilant about leavin those interior lights on 8)
Bitter
All LED interior lighting here.
Tigawoods
finally settled on one and got a Braille B2105 15lb battery
along with it I got a Battery Tender Plus to maintain the batteries charge while it sits in the garage over the next few months.
Im curious to see how the battery holds up come the summertime when I start driving the car
playr158
why you no relocate?
Tigawoods
I have this medical condition called laziness.

No, I just wanted to put the battery in so I could get the car started asap, didnt want to make time to fool around with relocating.
This battery would fit perfectly in the jack stand compartment too
Special_Edy
You would also need a battery designed to be vented for passenger compartments. Your not supposed to place a standard battery where the passengers can breath the fumes.
Special_Edy
You would also need a battery designed to be vented for passenger compartments. Your not supposed to place a standard battery where the passengers can breath the fumes.
BonzaiCelica
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Jan 12, 2013 - 12:27 AM) *

yea i've read about this as well. but thats why you open the windows from time to time. thats what members told me on a post here regarding lightweight batteries.
Tigawoods
Well as I expected: I had the car running at 14.5 volts one weekend and came back the following weekend and checked the battery and it had dropped to 7.4 volts, and needed a jump to start the car.

So the car would need to be started periodically throughout the week to keep up the charge on the battery
Tigawoods
Looking over this again to edit in the wake of a few questions I have been asked and my battery re-location.

My Braille2015 15lb is still kicking!
955SFE
I have a AntiGravity Battery. Its about 3-4lbs. Been about 3 years. No issues so far.
I'll look for the part number tomorrow.
Bitter
I've been running a Antigravity AG1601 all last year and will be again next year, I keep it floated at 13.5 volts with a max charge rate of 500ma, I leave it connected so I can do stuff on the car over the winter where I need power sometimes. It won't run the car long key on/engine off without a charger but it starts it very well even in very cold temps after sitting out all day. Last year I had it out all day parked in some temps in the 20's and it started it with very little hesitation. If it'll start a 1800 CC engine with 11.5:1 compression in those conditions it'll start a 7A or a 5S no problems too. Caveat is it needs to be floated if not being driven for more than 4 days otherwise the normal draw of the car pulls the battery below healthy voltage levels.

http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/antig...tteries-ag1601/

A little pricey but supposed to be really good batteries. I didn't relocate it but I'm thinking of how to mount it more cleanly while still easy to access to float it.
BonzaiCelica
Dang bro. Do you even race. Thats lotsa money. Seems pointless to remount a 4lb battery. The suspension wont be able to notice the difference. Unless you have a full out racecar

One more to add. Tigawoods.

Duracell Ultra SLIU1RT

-AGM Internal design
-CCA 320A
-CA 400A
Weighs 24lbs
Bitter
I was just curious, not having 35lbs hanging over the front axle does feel a little different. I also was storing the car over winter in an unheated barn so I wanted something I could just unhook and walk away from instead of having it on a tender all winter, but got a house now so...whatever I got the battery I'm gonna use it!
Tigawoods
Cool info!
Ill add them to the list.
Ive never heard of that brand before, but then again I am missing a good handful of batteries on the list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.