Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 1MZ progress thread
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Smaay
Ok ill get my thread going now. Here i am tearing apart the car getting it ready for new paint. I probably should have fitted the 1MZ first but timing just worked out this way.

Here the engine bay is getting painted. the pictures dont to it any justice.

Should get the rest of the body painted this week and then ill put it all together.

Ill take some pics of the engine when I get home. It actually snowed up here last night so I wasn't gonna go near outside
SwissFerdi
thumbsup.gif

Props for actually painting the whole thing. Very impressive.
kurt95gt
Sweet been waiting to see this
sorry i couldnt be more help on the wiring frown.gif
Smaay
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Feb 28, 2012 - 8:10 AM) *
thumbsup.gif

Props for actually painting the whole thing. Very impressive.

oh yeah, gotta look good, im a perfectionist
BonzaiCelica
great stuff can't wait to see this thing running, u better make it for the meet!
SupraKid
So Jeff.... Your gonna fab up a mount for me right? biggrin.gif
95CelicaST
Smaay
^^^ ???

Suprakid, what mount do you need?
stephen_lee
aaand the v6 swap craze has begun biggrin.gif
95CelicaST
What have I done...
kurt95gt
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Mar 1, 2012 - 2:08 PM) *
What have I done...

You started something amazing lol
Cheap fast reliable 1mz swap lol
Smaay
here is a link to the 1MZ rebuild

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82726
Syaoran
@1MZ MR2 owner: lol

Smaay
Checked on the car. it was in the spray booth getting finished up. more pics to come soon.
Smaay
well while im waiting for the rest of the car to get painted. here is how i got the celica Tach to work with the V6 signal

in my purchase of the 1MZ i got the gauge cluster too. i have a spare celica cluster so i took a chance on doing this mod. I think i read on MR2oc.com that this is the easiest way to do it.

first take the clear plastics off both gauges. first the celica gauge then the camry gauge.

flip the gauge over and under the tech you will see some screws. remove all of them to free the tach.

this is the backside of the tachs.

carefully move the needle to the 6 oclock position and then pull off the needles.

on the camry gauge you remove the 2 screws on the front and it will free the circuit card. on the celica gauge you have to carefully pull the face plate off, then remove the 2 screws.

all you have to do now is switch them around and put back together. This should give you a calibrated tach for the signals coming off the V6 instead of an I4.
kurt95gt
Great writeup smaay
Smaay
thanks, im dying to know if this really works. UGH i want my car on the road!!!
Smaay
finally an update

smkr3w
Don't mind if I drool... laugh.gif
Smaay
not at all, cause im still drooling!!
rave2n
thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif
kurt95gt
Love thw mount
Smaay
Thanks I can duplicate these for 200 bucks. I forget who else wanted on once i built mine. come forward so i can take care of ya
kurt95gt
Ill let you know when i have the extra cash
mine works for now but yours looks muxh cleaner
95CelicaST
I remember when mine was clean...

Lots of good stuff in this thread. When will my bottom end be ready, good sir?
Smaay
I got a new problem, since i have a 3MZ bottom end, the power steering pump that came with my 1MZ has no where to bolt up. can anyone help here?
kurt95gt
3mz pump maybe
Smaay
yeah thats what it looks like ill have to do,
kurt95gt
Have you tryied the a/c pump or the alternator
you might end ul having that problem with them too
Smaay
no those look to be the same, the problem is the 3MZ belt tensioner is slightly different so it would be in the way of the PS pump mount. i need to find the bracket that bolts to the head first. i think that will help me line things up.
kurt95gt
Good luck
If anyone can make it work its you
Honestly tho
When im moving i dont notice much difference with or without ps
Smaay
here is a pic of the bracket i need

njccmd2002

the 8k rpm on the celica is on the 1 oclock position, and on the other is on the 5 oclock position.

theoritically if you just swap the faces.

when the tach hits 6k rpm in real time, it will show 8k rpm on your swapped cluster, if you go beyond that then it will show the needle floating in neverland.

unless there is calibration involved, is there any?
kurt95gt
If you dont swap to the v6 tach The tach wont work at all the 4cyl tach cant read the v6 signal
richee3
You can use a Dakota Digital or MSD tach adapter to make that work without swapping tachs.
Smaay
Kurt is right, you cant just change the faces, you need to change the electronics. I also got the gauge cluster in my purchase with the engine. that is much cheaper than having to buy and wire in an MSD box
stephen_lee
so you swapped faces and the elecrtronics? im not clear on what you did really and how itll give a correct rpm reading..

if you use the stock gauge and electronics itll read 50% higher... i know from experience... redline on my v6 is past where the gauge stops moving.

i believe there is a resistor you can change to get it at the right calibration.
Smaay
no i just changed the electronic board. they have integrated circuits on them that are designed to receive a 4 cylinder pulse or a V6 pulse. the Camry face wouldn't fit in the celica cluster.
stephen_lee
did that board include the motor that moves the needle? if so then its still calibrated for the camry gauge face and would still be off, correct?... unless im missing something entirely

kurt95gt
It works stephen
Mr2 guys doit all the time lol
stephen_lee
IIRC the mr2 has the same sweep as the camry rpm gauge

so 1 o'clock is ~5,000 rpm on both the mr2 and camry...

but the 1 o'clock position is ~7,000 rpm on the celica face

^MR2 gauge
Smaay
small update, i got ST205 cables and installed them, i also installed a TWM short shifter. im still waiting for a PS bracket from an MR2 guy.
Smaay
thats an NA MR2 gauge, and just because the sweep is the same, its all about the signal that the gauge is receiving. a V6 is going to put out a different pulse over an I4
richee3
What's the current status of this project? I'm dying to see a startup video and some dyno runs smile.gif
Smaay
i had another slight hang up, i discovered that the AT and MT 1MZ have different rear headers, the AT that came with my engine has the header pointing right into where the shifter cables go for the E153. i ordered a MT header and i should get it monday. once i get the header i can complete the EGR tube. once thats done then it goes back in the car.
BonzaiCelica
nice. now get it ready for the august meet.
Smaay
august meet?

well i finished putting the body harness back on, the fenders are back on, the headlights are in. my header was back ordered so i wont get that till monday.
richee3
Any update?
Smaay
updates: engine is all in, just need to fab up the exhaust. once i get that all done and the AC lines ill be ready to run
richee3
So you're keeping the a/c? Good deal. Cruise control as well?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.