Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: jdm 7afe engine swap
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
stormmage88
i am ordering a jdm 7afe engine but it doesn't have a wiring harness and ecu. could i just use mine and put my distributor on the jdm motor?

thanks for the time and info
m2736185
What year make and model of your car and what year is the JDM?
Hafkai
QUOTE (stormmage88 @ Mar 1, 2012 - 6:27 AM) *
...could i just use mine and put my distributor on the jdm motor?

Your old distributor won't fit on a 7A with coil packs since there is a hall sensor in its place, you'd have to swap the heads to use an distributor and the ecu.
stormmage88
thanks i got a refund from jdm engine zone and got one from ebay from jdm engine corp. that comes with a ecu and wire harness.. just gotta figure out how im gonna fix the problem of the location of the harness is at and how i can make it feet to where i can put the harness threw the fire wall .... the jdm motor's wire harnees is made for a right hand drive car there for the location where the main harness ends up will be the front driver side and i need to run the wires threw the firewall in the back passenger side of the engine bay.

i have my work cut out for me smile.gif

my car is a 1995 toyota celica st

the motor is a 7afe from ebay unknown what car it was in its from jdm engine corp.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320858622259?ssPag...984.m1426.l2649
Kwanza26
Dude... since no-one is giving you a straight answer...

There are 2 versions of the 7AFE available all over the world. Being "JDM" doesn't make it any better. Version 1... some versions had TVIS which was a butterfly system in the intake runners designed to increase torque and throttle response. This engine was not available in the US and probably won't be a direct swap... probably because ignition components may be different as well as a variety of other unknowns. 2nd version is what we have... non-TVIS... which can be "JDM".

Being JDM doesn't necessarily mean it's a different engine. So long as the head is the non-TVIS head... you can bolt-up your current stuff, assuming you currently have a 7AFE powered celica... and you're done. No headaches. You should be able to find this engine locally... it's quite common. There are also a variety of used engine distributors... so I would look around first before forking over a lot of money to ship for a cheap engine... and do your research (I guess that's what you're doing here)... cause if you end up getting a TVIS 7AFE and then are now talking about wiring and all that jazz... you might as well upgrade.

Also: the 7AFE pictured in that ebay auction is the TVIS model... so I would avoid it.
RobbMeeX
All the wiring is included. I'd say give it a shot. I'd like to know the difference the TVIS makes.
m2736185
Wiring is not fun. I'm in the middle of a similar process. Obd I to obdII. Its not a fun process unless u know exactly where everything is going
Kwanza26
QUOTE (RobbMeeX @ Mar 4, 2012 - 12:09 AM) *
All the wiring is included. I'd say give it a shot. I'd like to know the difference the TVIS makes.

Then why not throw in a 4AGE 20V or a 4AGZE or even a 3SGTE? It's the same process...
stormmage88
i would do a 3SGTE but i dont have the cash to do a awd swap.

but later in the year i might save up for this swap. ill just get a front clip from ebay for 4500
it comes with the awd transmission rear axle and 3SGTE and right hand drive dash

i just had 1000 to threw on a motor. mine had 350k miles and was burning oil daily
SwissFerdi
^ No need for an AWD swap, you can run the 3S-GTE on an S54 transmission, which comes from the USDM GT.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.