Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Loud noise from air intake
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
skogs
My 7afe makes a loud whining noise that clearly comes from the air intake. The noise gets muffled when the engine reaches its working temp, but its still there. The noise doesnt react to the throttle in any way. It kinda sounds like a high pitched vakuumcleaner.

Does anyone know what this might be? Is it normal, or is my engine about to explode? It has been making this noise for as long as i've had the car, which is about 3 years. But when i installed my new SRI, the noise got louder. It's now so loud that its embarrasing:P
d3ath2009
that would b the sound of the 7a sucking in air.. nothing wrong with it
skogs
thats good. But i just think its weird that it is so much louder than any other car with cone filter that i've heard. You can hear the airsucking-noise from tens of metres away, with the bonnet closed.
Bitter
Normal, the air passage for the idle speed motor is very small so during warm up with a high idle a lot of air is sucking through a rather small hole.
d3ath2009
a friend of mine has a SRI on his dakota (318) and it almost sounds like a turbo spooling at idle
toyotatech3
mines loud to but i like it
skogs
Good to hear that nothing's wrong then, thanks!

The SRI sounds really awesome btw. Nothing special except when flooring it, then it just roars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.