Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing a short ram intake
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Authentic
A couple of you may recognize my name from a previous thread about swapping a BEAMS engine into my SS-I, which led to me deciding not to and saving up to just buy a SS-III Celica instead (or if you don't recognize me, you may remember now...or you'll go looking for my thread).

Long story short, I've decided to keep hold of my 3S-FE powered Celica and save up to buy something better in the near future. But for now, I may as well do a couple of mods to my daily driver; starting with a short ram intake.

First off, I am unsure what system my engine uses to test air flow/mass. I haven't been able to find anything removable/cleanable (apart from the air temp sensor in the air box) so I'm hoping that it wont be an issue when installing new piping for the intake.

Secondly, now this is when pictures come into play:

I understand that the hose running from the crank case/valve cover to the intake pipe is something to do with ventilation and positive pressure? Now I've seen cars with small air filters on their valve covers, but after some quick reading I found that some people believe this is bad as it messes with the pressure etc.

So basically, if I'm using aluminium piping for this air intake, what needs to be done with this hose?
mkernz22
you just plug it into one of the nipples that sticks off the intake pipe
arcticmonkey
Does the piping you have have a little outlet for the little hose to connect to?
Authentic
No it doesn't unfortunately. I bought it for a cheap price though so I may as well get some with the hose connections already installed.
RabidTRD
They sell kits where you can drill and insert those nipples if you don't want to get rid of the intake you just got.
trdproven
you can run a hose from the valve cover nipple to the intake pipe nipple. if you do this you must cap the one on the TB side.

If your intake pipe does not have the nipple or you choose not to, you can leave it as is like stock and run the hose from the valve cover to the TB side.

Any other nipples like the Injen pipe has can be capped cus you don't need em.
RabidTRD
Or you can put a mini filter on it like this:
rodriguez046
Whats does the mini fliter do
trdproven
^ nothing really it just had some air coming in from that small filter but dont think it does any difference because it still has to funnel its way into the throttle body diameter. basically, either run the hose from the valve cover to the intake pipe and cap the TB side. If not, don't do anything and just cap all the nipples on the intake pipe. besides running your sensor.
Syaoran
That's a PCV hose... if you unplug that hose while your car is running, you'll feel pulses of air coming out.

If you wanna go ahead and do something cool and beneficial, get a catch can for it, and route the "out" of the catch can back into the intake. Or you can scratch that and just get someone to tap a fitting into the tube as well, if it's aluminum. Make sure you get an aluminum fitting for the hose.
RabidTRD
QUOTE (rodriguez046 @ Mar 22, 2012 - 10:07 PM) *
Whats does the mini fliter do

Nothing really. Just looks nicer than a vacuum cap lol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.