Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helicoil
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
block
I was just wondering....if I had a helicoil done, would I need to replace the block? The previous owner had a spark plug flew out so a helicoil was done. Jw because im planning on adding a turbo just for kicks and planning to rebuild everything and this is something I want to replace.
mandrek
well... if it was the spark plug it would not be the block that you would have to replace.. it would be the head.. and that would be only if the helicoil does not hold. i don't know about the spark plug area.. but most of the time if i strip the threads on anything to the point that i would have to put a helicoil in, i just drill it out and re-tap it for a slightly bigger bolt. or in the case of it being two flanges, i just clean the threads out, and push the bolt through, and put a nut and washer on the other side.. (or even weld on in, if need be)...

7A, 5S? JW
block
5sfe. The previous owner said the spark plug just flung out of place. He had to do a helicoil to put the spark plug back in place. If its not too deep, id like to replace the head. It bothers me that about 5mm of the spark plug stick out (spark plug wire on this particular spark plug sticks out, sits higher and doesn't close all the way). Id really like to replace and start rebuilding the top end of it.

Btw, this does not affect performance at all. Drives very normal.
mandrek
well if you plan to boost it and you are going to get some machine work done, you may find out that you may have to chuck the head anyways.. so perhaps just be proactive about it and just get another head regardless.. and that way you can work on the spare head and have it ready for you slap on the block w/e you get the time to do it.. not to mention a 5SFE is not that hard to come by.. hell many on MR2OC just chuck'em... any keep an eye out on craigs list, you can sometimes find the "taking up room in garage, need this gone, free if you pick up" kind of posts..
block
I've seen quite a few on craigslist. Ill probably do that or get that 3sgte from here. Either way, its rebuild time. My car probably wont see driving time after next month. Ill finally have the time and space to work on it after I close my house wink.gif
b22ri22an
Ebay 5SFE Head

not a bad price on a head with cams fully machined
Bitter
if it's sticking up like that it was done wrong. If they used a heli-coil brand thread repair, that too was wrong since those are not for spark plug holes.

They should have used a self locking threaded copper or steel sleeve like a time-sert installed with high temp high strength loc-tite. It should sit flush with the head and the spark plug should seal normally since the top of the insert should be countersunk in. It sounds like this repair was done wrong, I'd suggest replacing the head.
Smaay
i have a complete 3S-GTE head with cams, valves, spring and shimms. PM me if you are interested
mandrek
isn't pressure2 doing a 5sgte on one of the builds he is working on ATM?? im sure if you are serious about the build he would be a good source to hit up.. he or bill..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.