Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [5S-FE] : Engine Rebuild Questions (Forging, Headwork etc)
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Syaoran
Hey everyone,

So I'm looking to do a full re-haul of my 5S-FE. Long story short, I was deciding whether to keep my Celica or not, and I've decided I will, and I'll just build it completely, starting with the engine. Later on I will work on getting either an S54 from an MR2/6GC or an E153 from a Solara locally. Keep in mind I'm in Puerto Rico and parts aren't easy to come by, so I have to work with what I have available and get the best out of everything.

POWER:
Basically my goals are 300-350whp. I'm going to get Colt Cams (260* .345) from the group buy on here. I'll be boosting it after I'm done with the engine work. Will most likely go GTX3076R or something similar

RELIABILITY:
I want to crack open the engine and replace all seals and gaskets with OEM or better (cometic headgasket, arp hardware, etc). What should I do to the head/block while it is out? Simply port and polish the head, bore the head to match my forged pistons, micropolish the crank journals...

I'm willing to listen, and I want a pointing in the right direction. Thanks in advance. smile.gif

Syaoran
Quick update: Planning on getting a 3-angle valve job on the 5s head, porting, polishing and maybe doing valve work including springs, retainers and oversized valves. I might also do 1zz shimless buckets, if they really fit.

I can't seem to find any 5s-specific pistons, all I seem to find are either 5s with ge head, or 3sgte. Will .040 over 3sgte pistons work on the 5s block?
Smaay
.040 over i think is too much. call www.atsracing.net they will have all the parts that you want. i suggest only .020 over pistons.

yes the 1ZZ buckets work. good luck on your build. the 5S rods are fairly beefy so i think t hey will support 300 HP no problems.
Syaoran
QUOTE (Smaay @ Mar 13, 2012 - 11:13 AM) *
.040 over i think is too much. call www.atsracing.net they will have all the parts that you want. i suggest only .020 over pistons.

yes the 1ZZ buckets work. good luck on your build. the 5S rods are fairly beefy so i think t hey will support 300 HP no problems.

Oh, I mean .040 over 3s-gte pistons. I'm looking to keep stock block bore diameter. The stoc block on a 5s-fe is 87mm whereas the 3s-gte is 86mm IIRC.

My question was whether or not I could use pistons from a 3s-gte on a 5s-fe or would there be clearance issues with the head?

I'm definitely going to need to swap out the rods because I'm likely raising the rev limiter a bit higher for later. I just want to open the block once and that's it. Which is why I won't skimp out on anything. Lowest quality I'll get is OEM.

EDIT: They have 5s-fe stuff? Seems like mostly 3s-gte stuff. I'll try contacting them.
199celica
well the 3sgte piston heads are usually dished and all that good stuff for lower compression and i believe that have a lower deck clearence in the 3sgte for the 5sfe is a flat piston with valve reliefs so i believe you can use them but you will have to get oversized rings if you do. hopefully someone can clerify this but this is to my understanding
Syaoran
Thanks for the input, hope someone can clarify as well.

Would I need oversized rings even if I got overbore pistons (.040" over 3s-gte pistons are 87mm just like our 5s-fe block stock bore)
Syaoran
I have decided that in the end it will be better and more economical to find a 3sgte head and swap that over. HOWEVER there is so much conflicting information that I am lost.

Some say machining is totally needed to fit the head physically onto the block, said machining has to do with oil and water passages.

Others say it has to be a specific year block with a specific generation
3sgte head.

What exactly is needed? Will a 2nd gen 3sgte head fit on a rev 2, 1993 5sfe block?
Ghost1
i am doing this also, according to the research i done, the 2nd 3sgte head will work as long as the passages are machine out. just make sure it hasn't been ported as it will increase the ratio this will give some issue later down the road since ur trying to keep the ratio relatively low. just do lots of research before.
Syaoran
QUOTE (Ghost1 @ Mar 14, 2012 - 11:22 PM) *
i am doing this also, according to the research i done, the 2nd 3sgte head will work as long as the passages are machine out. just make sure it hasn't been ported as it will increase the ratio this will give some issue later down the road since ur trying to keep the ratio relatively low. just do lots of research before.

I found that as well. ATS racing has a 5S-GTE specific headgasket that has everything you need so that you don't need to do any machining. They don't specificy exactly what generations of either top or bottom end, but they do say later 5S including 98+, so I'm assuming it's for 2nd gen 3S-GTE head with rev2 (93+) 5S-FE block.

I can't seem to find any pistons at 87mm. I don't want to bore out the block, but it seems that I have no option but to do a .020" over with the piston selection that we currently have.

Most other info also leads me to machining the crank rod journals (turning them down) to fit 3S-GTE rods. Guess I'll have to buy the rods and take them to my machine shop to have them fit them.

----

I'm looking for info on oil pump, water pump, pullies, etc. Do I just use everything from the 5S-FE again?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.