Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: jdm engine swap ecu problem
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
stormmage88
i have a 95 Toyota celica USA model, 7afe distributor type, Manuel transmission
i bout a JDM 7afe coil pack type, with ecu and wiring harness, but the ecu is for an automatic.....

will i need to get a ecu for jdm motor(coil pack type engine)and Manuel transmission?
or could i just use the ecu and deal with the check engine light?
Bitter
You swap over all the US stuff except the block and use the US harness and ECU, if you want the least headaches.

Otherwise, you need to do some research about how to simulate the trans solenoids with resistors and figure out what other 'things' need to be simulated.
Kwanza26
You shoulda listened to me. Go check one of your old posts if you don't know what i'm talking about. First, you can use an Auto ecu... but that's the least of your worries. There's a fair chance you'll have to redo the ignition wiring. Typically coil packs and distributors use different types ignition timing pick up... so you're probably gonna have to rewire that. In addition, there's probably other differences too... so you're gonna have to research that on your own.

In the end (if you woulda listened to me) you could have gone with a superior tuning motor like a 4AGZE or 20V or something for the same amount of work and only slightly more $$... or... you could have NOT been caught up in the whole "JDM" mess by not buying a JDM motor... which makes pretty much the same hp as a USDM version. Now you're stuck with an engine that is the same as the US version in terms of making hp... but still requires a significant bit of rewiring...

and... no... you can't simply swap over the US stuff... cause the "JDM" motor is TVIS which has totally different intake ports from the USDM version. Sure you can swap heads like Bitter suggests... but that's 1/2 a rebuild. Might as well return that motor (assuming you can) and get a US motor cheaper and easier.
Bitter
can't gut the Tvis stuff and use a 4A-Gx manifold?
97lestyousay
If you have a question on A series engine, you should listen to kwanza, he know his stuff on them.
To bad you aren't closer, I have a 91 USDM 4age 16v I would have sold you with uncut USDM harness,
and ecu for 400 bucks. After owning and driving both the 7afe and 4age, there is no way in hell I would
pay money for another 7a.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.