Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: timing belt
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
94odiecelica
i was just trying to find if the 7a-fe engine was non interfering with the pistons and valves for a timing belt change. i only did a little bit of research and just decided to try on here. if anyone can help that would be great. thanks
Hanyo
the 7afe is NOT interfering.

that means the intake and exhaust valves do not occupy the same space as the pistons.
94odiecelica
so when i change the timing belt, if the gears spin a little, my engine will be fine? wont be out of time?
Smaay
well no, you still have to make sure the timing is correct.
94odiecelica
is there anyway to do that without going to a garage? i know not to let them spin at all, but if they happen to, is a garage the only place to do that?
blackceclia0823
Nothing going to happen if you spin the crackshaft or the camshaft if you have the timing belt off but if you don't line up the dots right then ya you will run into trouble. There are dots on each gear to show you where to line them up. That is what Smaay is saying with timing being correct.(If I am wrong Smaay my bad)

I would suggest buying a repair book for your celica (Offical toyota repair if not no big deal) If this is your first time doing a timing belt I would take to professional and save your self the headache.

Smaay
look in the stickies, i wrote a guid on how to build the 7A-FE. it shows how to set the timing correctly. The 5S-FE is very similar.
94odiecelica
i know this is a dumb question but im still kinda new to the site, where are the stickies?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.