Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Raise 5SFE Idle
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Tigawoods
Ive searched around and couldnt find anything that helped.

Is there any way I would be able to raise my idle (just need 75rpm) with the SAFC2
or any other free method without having to dig into the ecu or grab an msd ignition
kurt95gt
Idk if ull want to do this but with my hondas i normally just let the engine warm up to where its at the normal rpms it sets at then i take 2 14mm wrenchs an adjust the throttle cable
199celica
I changed my idle with the little allen head screw that touches the throttle rotor. Just a thought
Tigawoods
QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Mar 21, 2012 - 10:43 AM) *
Idk if ull want to do this but with my hondas i normally just let the engine warm up to where its at the normal rpms it sets at then i take 2 14mm wrenchs an adjust the throttle cable

Never thought of that, that may be the best option. I only need 75-100rpm to get it down from a 9.5 on the richter scale to a 1

QUOTE (199celica @ Mar 21, 2012 - 11:17 AM) *
I changed my idle with the little allen head screw that touches the throttle rotor. Just a thought

My 5S doesn't have that adjuster.
199celica
oh O.O my bad i thought they all had them...
mkernz22
As I was doing my spark plugs today, I noticed some slack in my throttle cable (and the fact that the two nuts were loose). So I tightened it up until there was barely any slack and now she's idling at about 900-950, which is a lot better for me because the whole car use to rattle and crap around 700-800. She feels a lot more peppier from a stop and it feels better just getting going too.

The two nuts are on the throttle cable, they are just before where the protective covering stops. Those two mount the cable to the TB as well. I feel like you should know what I'm talking about, but if not, I can get a picture of two for you.
Tigawoods
yeah I know how to adjust it, it just never crossed my mind that I could do it that way.
Im excited to fix it. I hate how it sounds at idle right now
kurt95gt
75-100 rpms wont take alot eather
Tigawoods
Welp it didnt work. I adjusted it to its max position and there is still too much slack. I can't think of any other way than to tie a knot in the exposed wire area. Which I'd rather not do, any suggestions?
kurt95gt
Did you let it warm up first?
Tigawoods
Yup. Still some slack with it fully pulled
jordisonjr
Would it be possible to shorten the Throttle Cable?
Like remove it and cut it? or not possible?
Tigawoods
I was thinking of it when I was checking it out but it was a definite no go. I think knotting it is a better method but it's an innacurate method. I could end up above my goal of 820-850
kurt95gt
You could try and. Elongate the holes on the throttle cable. Mount
Or you could. Disconnect the cable and remove the rubber pease from the mount an replace it with 2 washers to hold the cable in place

That woukd give you some more room for adjustment
Tigawoods
ill look into spacing it with washers, i cant remember if i can get the one nut off (throttlebody side) of the cable or not. there is a small rubber grommet that is at the end of the threaded area, im not sure what it is covering, if anything at all.
kurt95gt
If you pop that off you should be able to take the nut off
if not just get 2 washers an cut a notch in them to make them a c shape an use them the same way as the rubber pease worked
blackceclia0823
I ran into the same issue long time back when I put in my first tranny in my celica and i tie knot on the throttle cable on my celica had no issues. I would check to see if you alot of slack on the throttle cable before doing this though. I personal keep my rpms around 900 at idle anything else lower it start to vibrate.TPS might need to be adjusted make sure timeing is right.
Tigawoods
Lol timing hasn't been right for over a year. I tried both methods and no luck. Washers took up some of the slack but not all. Tying the cord set me at 2.5k lol.
I may try advancing to timing a smidge to see if that helps. Other than that what else could I do?
Spider77
Honestly, if your trying to pull slack and nothing has worked thus far, Id go with advancing the timing a bit. Your OBDI so it'll stick. Or if you have access to supplies/personnel you could make a spacer to get rid of that slack....? Personally I adjusted those nuts till my idle was where I wanted it.
kurt95gt
Tome for a new cable?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.