Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: check engine light on but wont show codes
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
kurt95gt
So im trying to check the codes on my hatch an cant seem to get anything to work
is there a fuse the can stop anything from showing if blown
is there a diffrent way to check codes on a swapped car
I have both the obd1 an obd2 ports
i was told the obd1 would work an the obd2 was 50/50 chance
Any ideas guys i know i should have atleast one code since one of my o2 sensors is layin on the hood lol
rave2n
I may be wrong, but from what I understand with OBD1, you check by the flashes the check engine light produces by jumping 2 pins on the dianostic port. Are you using a reader, or that method?
Box
Yep, OBD1 you jump between two terminals on the port and count the CEL flashes. Can't remember which two terminals, it's on here somewhere...
kurt95gt
Both lol i get nothing eather way

Its te1 an e1
Box
That's odd. Wonder if something isn't wired or connected right... I hate electrical, for reasons like this. Have you cleared the ECU? Sometimes it might hold onto old codes. But being unplugged should've cleared it. Is the engine originally OBDII? Maybe that could cause issues? Where's an experienced technician when we need one?
kurt95gt
Yea its a obd2 motor an ecu but neather ports gives any info lol
richee3
Seems like I read that jumping the ports doesn't work on OBDII. Could be worth looking into.
SupraKid
For obd2 you need to plug in a scanner I believe.
kurt95gt
I used a scanner on the obd2 an jumped the plugs on the obd1

Is there any kind of trick for a swapped car that idk about
blackceclia0823
I would either plug the os sensor back in or replace it. Some celica in 95 were obd1 or 2. There is a fuse for the ECU check to see if that is bad.

Curious though how many flasshes are you getting when you jump the terminals on te1 an e1?
kurt95gt
Theres nowhere to plug the o2 sensor in untill the exhaust is done
im getting zero flashs when i pin te1 an e1
My kight never changes
Box
OBDII have to use a scanner I believe, at least with every OBDII car I know of. That's part of the joy of OBDI. This is confusing. Maybe once everything is done it'll be code free, hopefully. Still, leaves the issue of not being able to read codes if you need to. ECU is gathering the info, and sending the alarm to the CEL. Would think it's something between the ECU and port causing the problem then. Sounds silly, could the scanner be bugging out maybe? Can't really think of anything else it'd be...
blackceclia0823
On newer toyota with obd2 they have Toyota code which can't be read by a normal scanner. Don't think Toyota came out with this back in 95 though. Then you have either a ECU problem or a blown fuse that goes to the ECU. Did you unplug the negative side of the batter to reset the memory? If you did then you have to run the car which is impossible as you are doing the exhaust.

like Box said get everything done first and go from there. In the meantime look at all your wires and make sure none are broken.

Smaay
hhmmm, im not sure whats going on, if the CEL is on but your reader is not showing codes? is your reader actually connecting to the ECU and its saying pass? if so then perhaps something from your old wiring is tripping the CEL
kurt95gt
I know the scanner works fine
I might try resting the ecu afer i get the exhaust done
Box
Hopefully once exhaust is done will be good to go.
kurt95gt
Its seems ti run good so im assuming the codes cant be anything major
Smaay
so the scanner does say pass?

that leads me to believe that another wire is grounding out causing the CEL to come on.

i cant wait to get mine going, oh by the way, my 3MZ came in today.
kurt95gt
QUOTE (Smaay @ Mar 22, 2012 - 4:31 PM) *
so the scanner does say pass?

that leads me to believe that another wire is grounding out causing the CEL to come on.

i cant wait to get mine going, oh by the way, my 3MZ came in today.

The scanner comrs. Up error. Canyt connect to ecu
blackceclia0823
Did you do anything right before the light came on? Repairs or take anything appart?
kurt95gt
I just put the motor an trans in
An ive fixd a few things that i think might throw codes but id like to know whats left
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.