Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Compression tester VS Leak down tester
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
UVZ164
Hey guys,

Looking at expanding my tool collection with either one of these two.
The leak down test provides more comprehensive results as to where leaks are and exact percentages of cylinder leakage.
But the compression test results seem to be what everyone uses in terms of a PSI number.

My question is if i use the theoretical value of compression provided by the BGB which is 178 PSI (5s-fe engine) and i use the leak down tester and get a cylinder leakage of 10% can i just deduct 10% from that 178 PSI and get 160.2 PSI compression?

If that way works i guess ill get the leak down test if not i need some opinions on what to get.

Thanks,

Reece
Syaoran
Compression testers are cheaper than Leakdown testers.

You should get a leakdown tester, since it will tell you exactly what is wrong.

Compression testers are all different, and one may read 170psi and the other 180psi. All you need to know from a compression tester is that all values are within a certain range of each other (+/- 5% IIRC), not a specific value.
UVZ164
Ok, well if the actual number doesnt really matter i guess ill go with a leak down tester. Thanks
Spider77
Compression testers are just overall engine health. Where as a leakdown tester should let you know how much and from where your loosing compression. If your just looking for PSI range and ease of use, get a compression tester.
Syaoran
QUOTE (Spider77 @ Mar 25, 2012 - 7:03 PM) *
Compression testers are just overall engine health. Where as a leakdown tester should let you know how much and from where your loosing compression. If your just looking for PSI range and ease of use, get a compression tester.

Yes, I forgot about that detail... Compression testers are very straightforward and only require your remove spark plugs, whereas the leakdown testers are a bit more complicated.
Smaay
the leakdown will tell you if its in your rings or valves where you are losing compression. I suggest just getting a compression tester. if you have bad compression, the engine is gonna need to be removed anyways.
toyotatech3
QUOTE (Smaay @ Mar 26, 2012 - 3:24 PM) *
the leakdown will tell you if its in your rings or valves where you are losing compression. I suggest just getting a compression tester. if you have bad compression, the engine is gonna need to be removed anyways.

i agree with this. plus you can use a couple drops of oil to determine valves or rings.
UVZ164
Ok means i wont need to borrow a compressor when i wanna use it too. Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.