Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hissing noise from under car
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
ILoveMySilly97
I got a 97 Ceica GT that hisses when it's cold but when it gets warm it stops. It sounds like it's coming from under the car somewhere. I'm thinking it's a leak from the exhaust pipe but if it was then it would've been hissing still even if it was warm right?
kurt95gt
Are you sure your not just hearing the intake pulling in air in?

mine with the sri is really loud at start up
jt1023
I get the same thing but its definitely from my intake. The hissing is really noticeable on startup.

However, it could also be a small exhaust leak in your pipe somewhere. The metal pipes expand when they heat up and this could plug a very small exhaust leak and cause the hissing to stop.
Syaoran
Hissing? Sounds just like the IACV pulling air when it's cold, then shutting off after it warms up, like it should.
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Mar 25, 2012 - 4:32 PM) *
Are you sure your not just hearing the intake pulling in air in?

mine with the sri is really loud at start up

Yes I'm sure. I listened carefully all around my car and I can hear it mostly when I'm at the back right wheel by the exhaust pipe. I can also hear it when I'm in the car idling.

QUOTE (jt1023 @ Mar 25, 2012 - 8:42 PM) *
I get the same thing but its definitely from my intake. The hissing is really noticeable on startup.

However, it could also be a small exhaust leak in your pipe somewhere. The metal pipes expand when they heat up and this could plug a very small exhaust leak and cause the hissing to stop.

Yea. I was thinking that too.
Celigirl
i had the same hissing under my rear seat- that was my fuel pump going out- it hisses then goes out- is your car sputtering at all when it first starts to go
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (Celigirl @ Apr 7, 2012 - 10:28 AM) *
i had the same hissing under my rear seat- that was my fuel pump going out- it hisses then goes out- is your car sputtering at all when it first starts to go

Yea it's like around under my rear seats. I don't understand what you meant as sputters but I do know that it always has condensation out of the tail pipe on cold starts.
jordisonjr
Is it a new car?
Could just be the sound of an aftermarket fuel pump.
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (jordisonjr @ Apr 7, 2012 - 8:05 PM) *
Is it a new car?
Could just be the sound of an aftermarket fuel pump.

Nope. I bought it from a private owner so it's used.
NorthKennedy
QUOTE (ILoveMySilly97 @ Mar 25, 2012 - 5:29 PM) *
I got a 97 Ceica GT that hisses when it's cold but when it gets warm it stops. It sounds like it's coming from under the car somewhere. I'm thinking it's a leak from the exhaust pipe but if it was then it would've been hissing still even if it was warm right?

If it's only when startup/ when it's cold, then I would take a look at the Servo pump or water pump maybe? My servo wheele is making a noise like that when it's cold.. Nothing to worry about though !
matts94celica
My water pump made a noise because it was going out but it was a hissing it was a grinding type noise. And you can definitely tell its from under the engine bay so I don't think it's water pump
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (NorthKennedy @ Apr 8, 2012 - 1:05 PM) *
QUOTE (ILoveMySilly97 @ Mar 25, 2012 - 5:29 PM) *

If it's only when startup/ when it's cold, then I would take a look at the Servo pump or water pump maybe? My servo wheele is making a noise like that when it's cold.. Nothing to worry about though !

Actually the previous owner I bought it from just got the water pump replaced like 4 months ago. So it can't be the waterpump.
trdproven
if you rev, you can tell if its an exhaust leak or not.
ILoveMySilly97
EDIT: My car does have bad emission too. It stinks up the whole garage when I turn it on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.