Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing my Speed sensor
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
ILoveMySilly97
I need to replace my speed sensor but I don't know what brand/make is legit. I went on ebay and google shop and I found some that were like 20 dollars and some like 120 dollars. So I don't know why one is so high and one is so low? Also I want to know how easy/hard is it to replace it and how much will it cost if I take it into a shop?
Smaay
get an OEM one. its on the transmission and i dont know of any aftermarket sensors.
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (Smaay @ Mar 27, 2012 - 12:01 PM) *
get an OEM one. its on the transmission and i dont know of any aftermarket sensors.

I bought Denso. It should be coming in today and hopefully it'll come early enough to where I can replace it tonight.
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (ILoveMySilly97 @ Mar 27, 2012 - 12:28 PM) *
QUOTE (Smaay @ Mar 27, 2012 - 12:01 PM) *

I bought Denso. It should be coming in today and hopefully it'll come early enough to where I can replace it tonight.

So I just finished replacing it and took it out for a test drive and the speedometer and odometer still doesn't work?
kurt95gt
Loose wire somewhere maybe or maybe ots not plugged in all the way
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Mar 27, 2012 - 8:41 PM) *
Loose wire somewhere maybe or maybe ots not plugged in all the way

Everything is installed correctly but maybe there is a loose wire somewhere. Also when I took it for a test drive. It was eating more gas per gallon. I casually drove for 10 min and it ate like almost 1/8 of the tank. Which is too much.
blackceclia0823
I would suggest getting one OEM, maybe make a topic in the selling/Buying section if anyone local has a VSS (speed sensor) laying around. I have a VSS from my 95 celica a140e from my old tranny and works but I on the east coast. I would pay no more than 40 or 50 buck used from someone.

Your gas issue is because the VSS is not working as it hook up your ECM and Neural saftey switch.

Check for broken wires or blown fuse, make sure the connector was not damage when you reomoved it. only three wires for the VSS so that make it easy. If all fine get another VSS

ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (blackceclia0823 @ Mar 28, 2012 - 12:00 AM) *
I would suggest getting one OEM, maybe make a topic in the selling/Buying section if anyone local has a VSS (speed sensor) laying around. I have a VSS from my 95 celica a140e from my old tranny and works but I on the east coast. I would pay no more than 40 or 50 buck used from someone.

Your gas issue is because the VSS is not working as it hook up your ECM and Neural saftey switch.

Check for broken wires or blown fuse, make sure the connector was not damage when you reomoved it. only three wires for the VSS so that make it easy. If all fine get another VSS

So I unplugged the negative terminal from my battery for 1 hr and replugged it and test drove it. The gas went back to normal but the speedometer and odometer still doesn't work. Also on a cold start, the rpm will crank to 800rpm and drop to 100rpm then up to 1200rpm until it gets warm then it goes down to 800rpm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.