Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DRAG RACING WHEELS
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
toy8490
HI I'M LOOKING TO CHANGE MY WHEELS AROUND TO THE SMALLEST RIM SIZE POSSIBLE FOR THE FRONT, I HAVE A 1994 CELICA GT, I WANT TO KNOW IF ANY BODY HAS GOT A 13 INCH RIM TO CLEAR THE BRAKE CALIPER?
OR HAS ANY BODY GOT A 14 INCH TO CLEAR THE CALIPER?
MY CALIPER ARE STOCK AND HAVE NOT BEEN CHANGED AROUND.
MY CAR CURRENTLY HAS A 15 INCH RIM. BEFORE I GO AND BUY 2 WHEELS I'D LIKE TO KNOW SO I DONT HAVE TO HASSEL WITH RETURNING THEM. BECAUSE EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT A 5X100 IS RARE.
THE REASON I'D LIKE TO GET THE SMALLEST RIM IS BECAUSE I DO DRAG RACING AND I THINK IF YOU CAN GET A BIGGER SIDEWALL THE MORE THE TIRE CAN WRINKLE AND AND AID TO THE TAKE OFF AT THE DRAG STRIP.

THE COMPANY THAT I FOUND THAT HAS GOOD WHEELS IS
http://www.bassettwheel.com/steel.html

THEY MAKE 5X100 WHEELS IN ALL SIZES AND THEY MAKE THEM IN MUCH WIDER WHEELS SO THAT I CAN PUT A FATTER SLICK. I NEED A FATTER SLICK BECAUSE I HAVE A 3SGTE SWAP AND I'M RUNNING A 7 INCH WIDE SLICK NOW BUT I'M JUST SPINNING 1ST AND 2ND GEAR. MY FASTEST TIME DOWN THE 1/4 WAS 13.22 SECONDS
Culpable04
the ST trim comes with 14 inch steeling, and I think that's the smalled size you can go before you run into issues with the calipers. so stick with 14 inch wheels.

what kind of suspension are you using ? coilovers ? if so, what setup and adjustments ?

I ask, because that also can help you with your traction.

do you have LSD ?

what trans are you using ?
kurt95gt
15 is as small as you can go on the front
been thinking the same thing for my v6 swap
toy8490
my suspension is stock, i do plan on changing that soon, also yes i do have a e153 transmission with a lsd, it works really good

QUOTE (Culpable04 @ Mar 28, 2012 - 2:08 PM) *
the ST trim comes with 14 inch steeling, and I think that's the smalled size you can go before you run into issues with the calipers. so stick with 14 inch wheels.

what kind of suspension are you using ? coilovers ? if so, what setup and adjustments ?

do you have LSD ?

Culpable04
hmm, before investing on custom wheels, you should upgrade your suspension, for drag you may want a set of coilovers, raise the REAR and set them to the hardest setting. front lowered and a few clicks away from the hardest setting. this will give a way better launch than your stock suspension and will a btter upgrade than wider tires at this point.
toy8490
QUOTE (Culpable04 @ Mar 28, 2012 - 2:48 PM) *
hmm, before investing on custom wheels, you should upgrade your suspension, for drag you may want a set of coilovers, raise the front and set them to the hardest setting. front lowered and a few clicks away from the hardest setting. this will give a way better launch than your stock suspension and will a btter upgrade than wider tires at this point.

i don't want to lower the car,what do you suggest is good set of coilovers to keep stock height and adjustable setting the firmness?
czwalga
I have a rear set of hotbits for sale real cheap, normally $600 a corner. Culp has yet to buy them.... haha. You could adjust them to whatever height you want. They seriously firm up the car if you adjust them out.
Special_Edy
You should try to find a strut/coilover that has the dampner set up for drag racing. I know that on RWD cars they put in shocks on the back that are like 10%/90% so that the suspension cant move up but it can extend downwards easier. Makes the body less likely to stand up and it helps the tires keep contact with the ground.
Do some research for FWD drag racing suspension set up and let us know what you find

Also I would look at lowering the car so that the CV axles are perpendicular to the ground at launching conditions, as any kind of half shaft or driveshaft design is going to attempt to go perfectly straight because of the centrifugal force of them spinning fast or with alot of torque. You would probably want to use this to your advantage and have them push the wheels down as the axles speed up.
But then Im no expert at suspension design, so do some research on teh interwebs and definately call some companies that specialize in custom suspensions to ask them for advice
Ted95
^ think you mean parallel?

Do you have a strut bar at all? That will help stiffin the front up as well.
What rpm are you launching at?

If you lower your front you will pull 12s.
toy8490
QUOTE (Ted95 @ Apr 2, 2012 - 4:08 PM) *

yes i have a strut bar on the front, i dont have one on the rear, does the rear really even matter?
i launch at around 2,000-2,500 rpms
Ted95
QUOTE (toy8490 @ Apr 6, 2012 - 8:19 PM) *

yes i have a strut bar on the front, i dont have one on the rear, does the rear really even matter?

yes the rear matters, because when you launch or hit the gas for that matter your rear will dip which in return raises the front slightly which will cause you to loose some traction. by stiffing the rear, you will keep your nose planted and helping you bite better.

suspension plays a huge roll in racing. i really suggest looking into lowering your car a little bit, even with some Eibach sportline springs which drops you 1.5" that will give you a big improvement with that minimal drop and will still give you a nice ride height in comparison to stock.
Special_Edy
I dont see the beed for a rear srtut bar unless he is making monsterous amounts of torque. All of the torque is going to try to twist the front end on a fwd, not the rear although the rear strut bar probably would hurt. You are gonna want the rear suspension to be as stiff as possible short of welding the rear hubs to the chassis. The front would benefit from sitting low and the rear will do better sitting high.
You also want a shock up front that is stiffer. The front wheels are going to try to jump and skip across the pavement so you gotta keep them firmly planted but you also dont want the front end to stand up off the ground because this would transfer precious weight and traction to your useless rear tires.
Maybe get some coil spring expanders ( they are metal or rubber and are usually for a collapsed spring) jack up the rear end and insert as many of the little basterds as you can to raise and stiffen the rear end. It will make your ride quality like crap but you 1/4 mile times will definately see an improvement
toy8490
QUOTE (Ted95 @ Apr 7, 2012 - 11:37 AM) *
QUOTE (toy8490 @ Apr 6, 2012 - 8:19 PM) *

yes the rear matters, because when you launch or hit the gas for that matter your rear will dip which in return raises the front slightly which will cause you to loose some traction. by stiffing the rear, you will keep your nose planted and helping you bite better.

suspension plays a huge roll in racing. i really suggest looking into lowering your car a little bit, even with some Eibach sportline springs which drops you 1.5" that will give you a big improvement with that minimal drop and will still give you a nice ride height in comparison to stock.

thank you for the tips, i'm looking into a full set of suspension, front and rear.
toy8490
No body has really told me anything about the rim sizes, my qustion is what is the smallest size rim you can fit on to a 94 celica gt?
Culpable04

QUOTE (toy8490 @ Apr 10, 2012 - 1:10 PM) *
No body has really told me anything about the rim sizes, my qustion is what is the smallest size rim you can fit on to a 94 celica gt?

QUOTE (Culpable04 @ Mar 28, 2012 - 1:08 PM) *

do you have LSD ?

as I said earlier, the smallest you can go on this cars is 14 inches wheels,

I would recomend going with 15 inches, as the tires sizes are slightly more common ( including slicks ) and so cheaper.
kurt95gt
15 is as small as you can go on a gt
Culpable04
QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Apr 10, 2012 - 6:58 PM) *
15 is as small as you can go on a gt

the spare tire is the same between ST and GT, and is a 14 inch tire
kurt95gt
Might depend on thevrim them i tried a 14 steelie from a 00 cavilear an it rubbed my caliper
the spare isnt that deep eather
Ted95
QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Apr 13, 2012 - 11:17 PM) *
Might depend on thevrim them i tried a 14 steelie from a 00 cavilear an it rubbed my caliper
the spare isnt that deep eather

they probably have a different offest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.