Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Low idle on cold start
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
ILoveMySilly97
Every time I have a cold start in cold temperature like around 45-55 degrees it'll crank up to 800rpm then goes down to 100rpm then goes back up to 200rpm. The only way I can get it to jump back up to the normal (850rpm) is to rev it up pass 3000rpm then it'll come back down to 850rpm. After that it'll idle normal. I was told there was something like a cold air control or something like that? I have a 97 Toyota Celica GT and the only mod I have is a injen short ram. That can't be the problem because it's done it before with the stock intake. Anyone know what can be the problem?
essexgt4
try cleaning out the idle control valve.
Bitter
I'll second that. I suggest you remove it from the car and clean it and make sure to pick the carbon off of it. It rotates back and forth to let more or less air past. Usually it gets clogged up with carbon, you can take the coil off the end and pull the part out to really clean it good.
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (Bitter @ Mar 30, 2012 - 11:54 PM) *
I'll second that. I suggest you remove it from the car and clean it and make sure to pick the carbon off of it. It rotates back and forth to let more or less air past. Usually it gets clogged up with carbon, you can take the coil off the end and pull the part out to really clean it good.

What should I clean it with? I'm from California and I don't know if carb cleaner is legal here.

QUOTE (Bitter @ Mar 30, 2012 - 11:54 PM) *

What should I clean it with? I'm from California and I don't know if carb cleaner is legal here.
Bitter
Seafoam Deep Creep spray, a small screw driver, and a brass brush. Make sure you have a new gasket to reinstall it to the throttle body with.
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (Bitter @ Mar 31, 2012 - 3:55 PM) *
Seafoam Deep Creep spray, a small screw driver, and a brass brush. Make sure you have a new gasket to reinstall it to the throttle body with.

Yea I decided to give a seafoam a shot. Thanks.
Galcobar
How do you guys get it off without having to uninstall the throttle body as well, the screws are on the underside of the IACV?
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (Galcobar @ Apr 2, 2012 - 10:36 PM) *
How do you guys get it off without having to uninstall the throttle body as well, the screws are on the underside of the IACV?

I had to take off the TB. I haven't found a way to get to the screws because of the angle it's in and the hoses/wires that are in the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.