Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Injen 2040 5SFE install
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
starscream10
Hi guys

I have been reading a few post on installing the short ram Injen intake and have seen different setup for it.

The two ports sticking out of the intake pipe do I just plug them?, put a mini filter on them?, or connect to the valve cover?.

If i do connect to the valve cover what do I do with the stock connection which is connected to the throttle body that I disconnected.?

Thank you
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (starscream10 @ Apr 5, 2012 - 11:53 AM) *
Hi guys

I have been reading a few post on installing the short ram Injen intake and have seen different setup for it.

The two ports sticking out of the intake pipe do I just plug them?, put a mini filter on them?, or connect to the valve cover?.

If i do connect to the valve cover what do I do with the stock connection which is connected to the throttle body that I disconnected.?

Thank you

The valve cover is supposed to be connect to your intake and not your TB. Some people just connects the valve cover to TB because it doesn't really matter you can say. You can just but a mini air filter or just plug it with something. The other port you say, if it's like mine. It should be sticking out under the intake pipe and by the car firewall right? If so, look under it. Look for a small hose/nipple that's right under it. You or the previous owner of your car probably disconnected that hose. But like I said earlier. You can always just throw mini air filters on both. It'll run fine.
trdproven
you can do two things.

1. keep it the way it is, install the intake and cap all the nipples on the intake pipe.
2. Run the hose from the valve cover to the side of the intake nipple, now cap the TB side becuz you just diverted the hose from the valve cover instead to the pipe. rear nipple on the intake pipe can always stay capped.

^ that is the sure shot answer. mini filters dont do anything. it just looks like extra accessories.
Special_Edy
Wait a minute, the crankcase breather hoses?
The one on the right(from the from of the car) side that connects to the throttlebody is a breather hose. It allows fresh filtered air to flow into the engine.
You can install a minifilter on the breather hose and it will provide 100% the same function as stock. Which is allowing fresh air into the motor while filtering out dust, hair or whatever junk you can think of you dont want getting sucked inside your engine.
The other hose, the one that the PCV valve is on must be connected to manifold vacuum. Wherever you run the pcv valve to it must draw vacuum. Moving the pcv valve hose over to the TB nipple for the breather hose will negate the purpose of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system. You will produce more emissions, you will fail your state inspection test(in some places), and you will allow harmful contaminants to stay inside your engine rather than burning them off

Edit*
Plain and simply, the minifilters are fine on the breather hose(valve cover nipple to TB) but connecting the PCV valve to anything other than the manifold will be unlawful and would really do harm to your engine
wink.gif .
trdproven
it is unnecessary to worry about all that, mine are the simplest two options.

My first option does not change anything, stock hoses stay where they are at and you just cap all nipples on the intake pipe. the second option just reroutes the breather hose from the TB to the intake pipe which means you have to cap the TB side.

your first mention of the minifilter is not needed you either keep it stock and cap the intake nipples or run the breather hose to the intake pipe and cap the TB side. Either way the rear Injen nipple can always stay capped - im sure this rear nipple can be plugged into a hose somewhere as I've seen but is not needed.

The PCV Valve is not even relevant at all in this case. that should be left untouched.

to make things easier visually.

OPTION #1

OPTION #2
Special_Edy
QUOTE (trdproven @ Apr 6, 2012 - 1:48 AM) *
it is unnecessary to worry about all that, mine are the simplest two options.

first option does not change anything besides now you are using an intake pipe. the second one just routes the breather hose to the intake pipe but isnt needed anyway because the stock way gets it from the TB.

your first mention of the minifilter is not needed you either keep it stock and cap the intake nipple or run the breather hose to the intake pipe and cap the TB side.

The PCV Valve is not even relevant at all in this case. that should be left untouched.

I guess a picture would help
What youre saying trdproven makes sense, its the other posts that got me worrying that this guys vacuum lines are gonna be a mess
trdproven
^ posted pics. i see, what you're saying.
ILoveMySilly97
I'll take pictures of my Injen Short Ram Intake on how and where I connected the hoses to. It'll be a better idea since I have an Injen Short Ram.
trdproven
I had an injen intake back in 05...hated that intake (gave a lousy exhaust sound, and the apexi one i have is way better) but that was 3 intakes ago for me. YOu can take a picture to show how it looks like but my examples are all you need to do. Im sure you can use the rear nipple for a stock hose to connect but even at that for the most part the nipples on the injen intake are not necessary, they are just options because the stock hoses are already connected where they need to be.
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (trdproven @ Apr 7, 2012 - 12:59 AM) *
I had an injen intake back in 05...hated that intake (gave a lousy exhaust sound, and the apexi one i have is way better) but that was 3 intakes ago for me. YOu can take a picture to show how it looks like but my examples are all you need to do. Im sure you can use the rear nipple for a stock hose to connect but even at that for the most part the nipples on the injen intake are not necessary, they are just options because the stock hoses are already connected where they need to be.

How much did you get your apexi one for? I'm thinking about getting a different intake too since it doesn't put out much throttle response as I expected.
trdproven
just the apexi intake filter and metal adapter was 125, then I had to get a 3" pipe for it, I got whatever closest apexi filter is close to 3" because they use decimal sizes. then I bought silicone reducer/couplers for the filter end and the TB end, and t-bolt clamps and finally a weapon r intake pipe (has better shine than cheap ebay ones and is 3" and a shorter pipe design. Spent like 275 for the whole setup.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.