Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AC
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
xxgetbackupxx
Ac is leaking just curious anyone know where in our celicas it is known to leak?
azian_advanced
schraeder valves
xxgetbackupxx
QUOTE (azian_advanced @ Apr 7, 2012 - 3:48 PM) *
schraeder valves

The what now? Lol
Special_Edy
You can rent a dye injection kit at the autozone. It includes a device for pressurizing and injecting dya and a UltraViolet light and glasses. They will give you 100% of the deposit fee($100+ I think) back when you return the tool, so its definately worth getting. Also you may want to get the small can of dye that IS pressurized (one comes with a hose incase you dont have one) for $10 to $20 since its alot easier than using the injection tool( you still need to rent the tool for the light and glasses). Put the dye into the low side port(it will only fit on it, the high side is a diff size) with the engine running and the AC on full blast. With the special light and glasses the dye will appear as flourescent yellow although it is invisible to the naked eye.
If it is the service ports( the schrader valves as stated above) autozone carries replacement valves with all the tools you need for $5 I believe.
To put new valves in you want to park the car in an EXTREMELY well ventilated area(basically outside) turn the car off, hold a rag over the valve you are removing as you use the included tool to remove the valve(alot of sh*t is gonna come spraying out), and replace the valve as quickly as you can. If you allow all the freon to escape normal atmospheric air could enter the system and you will have to rent a $200 vacuum pump to get all the contaminants out(humidity in air is bad inside the AC). Replace both of the valve cores and refill with regular 134a freon. The synthetic 'super cold' freon is bad for your compressor I have been told.
You dont need to add compressor oil unless you replace the compressor, as it will all stay in the bottom of the compressor throughout this operation.

Also note that releasing freon into the atmosphere is against federal regulations but you will be fine so long as you dont do it infront of a police station or the EPA building. Breathing freon could be very hazardous to your health in an enclosed area, so make double sure to do this outside instead of in the garage. Our book says 1.3 to 1.7 pounds of freon so two cans will probably do the trick. The parts store should be able to look on their computer and give you the exact number of ounces of freon you will need, and if they cant they DO have a phone number they can call to find out for sure.
trdproven
a lot of places can leak, but i've mostly seen the joints or the evaporator majority of the time when I fix them. again, AC can get more complex, condensor, drier, compressor, ac clutch, lines, joints, AC switch, evaporator, electrical, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.