Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: catch can help.
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
sergio4343
how do i install a catch can on my 96 2.2l gt
pandakid
well i made mine out of a venom energy can for my AE86.i drilled 2 holes about 1/4 down from the can and 3/4 from the top of the can.i got the hose from the engine point down into the bottom of the can and the other hose placed on the top of the can going stright.i'll try to take a picture when i go the chance
Special_Edy
Heres the one I bought for my truck, they have them in all different colors and it has a clear tube on the front that shows the level inside and a petcock on it to open/close it off
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1478

or you can grab a clear plastic universal one at the autoparts store for about the same price. Maybe a little uglier.

To install a catch can, you want to run a hose from the overflow nipple on the side of the radiator cap to the catch can. The stock coolant reservoirs on our cars have the hose enter the the top of the reservoir and stick all the way to the bottom. It is important that you make sure the hose either enters the bottom of the catch can and terminates there, or enters the top of the tank and extends to the bottom.

Here is the reasoning in my mind-
the catch can will catch coolant that comes out of the radiator cap. Everytime the engine warms up the coolant will expand some and coolant will need to be released into the catch can to reduce the pressure in the coolant system. This coolant being released will probably be steam, and will just evaporate into the air so the vapors going into the catch can must be immersed in coolant to cool them back into a liquid form. This means the hose must terminate 'underwater'(well undercoolant of course) using one of the two methods in my previous paragraph. Another consideration is that as the engine cools it will draw coolant back into itself because the coolant inside the engine contracts. So once again the end of the overflow hose needs to be immersed at the bottom of the catch can to collect coolant and draw it back into the engine. Lastly, the catch can cannot be airtight and must have a way to dump coolant safely incase it too overflows, so a hose at the top of the carch can that runs under the car away from your paint is needed.

Sorry to add all that in there but I thought it might be helpful to understand the whole process as it plays out in my mind
anyways, hope this all helps you out
mandrek
^^^WFT^^^^ O.o

plz dont take offence to this.. but that is NOT what you use a catch can for.. a nice use for an overflow reservoir.. but....

a Catch can is to help keep that nasty gunk from building up in your manifold and intake track... the can it self is plumbed in the line that connects to the valve cover and manifold.. (primarily, some get routed out to the intake in front of the TB) the can collects oil and moisture from the vapor that leaves the valve cover (there are other sources too) and helps "clean" that air stream before it is plumbed back to the induction system.. there is ALLOT more to this.. and the truth is that many of the "catch cans" out there are not even close to be sufficient for the job that they are supposed to perform.. best cheap option for a small catch can that will actualy work is to just get a small in line air filter used for air compressors. like THIS... there is more to this, and honestly i have only seen a few truly "functional" catch cans on the market. and they cost mucho $$.... google EVO catch can and you should see some good other examples of what some have done to make the "cheap" ebay catch cans functional.. not the best, but a nice small project for the weekend.
Lil-Joe101
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Apr 10, 2012 - 5:18 PM) *
Heres the one I bought for my truck, they have them in all different colors and it has a clear tube on the front that shows the level inside and a petcock on it to open/close it off
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1478

or you can grab a clear plastic universal one at the autoparts store for about the same price. Maybe a little uglier.

To install a catch can, you want to run a hose from the overflow nipple on the side of the radiator cap to the catch can. The stock coolant reservoirs on our cars have the hose enter the the top of the reservoir and stick all the way to the bottom. It is important that you make sure the hose either enters the bottom of the catch can and terminates there, or enters the top of the tank and extends to the bottom.

Here is the reasoning in my mind-
the catch can will catch coolant that comes out of the radiator cap. Everytime the engine warms up the coolant will expand some and coolant will need to be released into the catch can to reduce the pressure in the coolant system. This coolant being released will probably be steam, and will just evaporate into the air so the vapors going into the catch can must be immersed in coolant to cool them back into a liquid form. This means the hose must terminate 'underwater'(well undercoolant of course) using one of the two methods in my previous paragraph. Another consideration is that as the engine cools it will draw coolant back into itself because the coolant inside the engine contracts. So once again the end of the overflow hose needs to be immersed at the bottom of the catch can to collect coolant and draw it back into the engine. Lastly, the catch can cannot be airtight and must have a way to dump coolant safely incase it too overflows, so a hose at the top of the carch can that runs under the car away from your paint is needed.

Sorry to add all that in there but I thought it might be helpful to understand the whole process as it plays out in my mind
anyways, hope this all helps you out

Your thinking of a radiator breather tank bro.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.