Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Issue.
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
1994Celica
The issue I have is when I get on it and go from 3rd to overdrive it shifts hardly back down to 3rd and then back into overdrive. Any ideas on what this could be? I've taken it to a shop a few times but it's never happened to them. It also only happens at higher revs.
mkernz22
it's just automatically downshifting for you. Technically you should just be leaving it in O/D because since it is an automatic, it does the work for you.
The reason it downshifts is because if you get on it, the engine will bog more in 4th gear than it will in 3rd. When my was an auto, I use to double tap the gas really quick (like in the arcade racing games where you'd get it to wheelie) and it would downshift from 4th (O/D) to 2nd.
1994Celica
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Apr 10, 2012 - 7:34 PM) *
it's just automatically downshifting for you. Technically you should just be leaving it in O/D because since it is an automatic, it does the work for you.
The reason it downshifts is because if you get on it, the engine will bog more in 4th gear than it will in 3rd. When my was an auto, I use to double tap the gas really quick (like in the arcade racing games where you'd get it to wheelie) and it would downshift from 4th (O/D) to 2nd.

So when I floor it and it goes from third to (O/D) and back to 3rd kind of hard and then finally into (O/D) its normal?.
mkernz22
Are you already in overdrive when you floor it?
1994Celica
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Apr 10, 2012 - 7:39 PM) *
Are you already in overdrive when you floor it?

No I'm in third.I floor it and the revs reach the top of the range it goes into O/D for a sec, back down to third and the back into O/D
mkernz22
Ohhhhh. I couldn't tell you then, never happened to me. Sorry kindasad.gif
1994Celica
It's ok thanks for trying though. It's weird the car runs fine and shifts fine but it only has that issue if I get on it and take it to the top of the rev range. I'll just try and keep the revs low.
1994Celica
Someone told me that it might be the ECU could that be the problem?
Special_Edy
QUOTE (1994Celica @ Apr 11, 2012 - 6:56 PM) *

The ECU is a possible cause for almost any drivetrain problem. 99.9% of the time it is not the cause of the problem, and its also perhaps the single most expensive component on the vehicle. Its rare that someone replaces their ECU and doesnt have a bunch of new issues because the ECU isnt programmed correctly, so make the ECU the last possible item on your list of things that may be wrong.

Whens the last time you drained the transmission fluid, replaced the filter, and refilled with new fluid?
1994Celica
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Apr 11, 2012 - 9:11 PM) *
QUOTE (1994Celica @ Apr 11, 2012 - 6:56 PM) *

The ECU is a possible cause for almost any drivetrain problem. 99.9% of the time it is not the cause of the problem, and its also perhaps the single most expensive component on the vehicle. Its rare that someone replaces their ECU and doesnt have a bunch of new issues because the ECU isnt programmed correctly, so make the ECU the last possible item on your list of things that may be wrong.

Whens the last time you drained the transmission fluid, replaced the filter, and refilled with new fluid?

Probably when I had the transmission rebuilt around 5-6 thousand miles ago.
ILoveMySilly97
It's possible that it can be the VSS but I doubt it since it's only O/D that's not working properly. Does your cruise control still work and is it idling properly?
trdproven
its possible a shift solenoid problem, do a tranny code check. 63 62 codes are what to expect. just had a similar issue when my car was auto.
1994Celica
QUOTE (ILoveMySilly97 @ Apr 12, 2012 - 1:59 AM) *
It's possible that it can be the VSS but I doubt it since it's only O/D that's not working properly. Does your cruise control still work and is it idling properly?

I don't have cruise but it seems to idle around 900rpm, and it seems fine. Also how would I check the codes?
trdproven
i think its the same jumper as the engine check one, but the O/D blinks and those are the ones you count.
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (1994Celica @ Apr 12, 2012 - 5:59 PM) *
QUOTE (ILoveMySilly97 @ Apr 12, 2012 - 1:59 AM) *

I don't have cruise but it seems to idle around 900rpm, and it seems fine. Also how would I check the codes?

http://www.6gc.net/howto/determine_check_engine_light_codes

That's the how to check check engine light codes. It could possibly be the selenoid too since your car is auto.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.