Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chronic Busted Wheel bearings???
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
SiriusVirus
Okay so I've broken 3 driver side and 2 passenger side.. I've had this celica since August 2011... I bought it with broken wheel bearings. I thought it was my driving so after the last repair I began to drive more carefully. This time I broke both front ones at the same time! What do you think could be the reason I'm burning through wheel bearings??? Because this is just crazy. I've put more money in wheel bearings than any other repair on my car. Something more has to be wrong if I'm breaking a bearing which seems like every other month.. Please someone help. I have a 94 Celica GT
97lestyousay
it sounds like the hubs are toast, if you put a good bearing on a bad hub it will ruin the bearing in no time.
If I remember toyota recomends replacing both. There are some threads on this in suspension/brake forum.
bmj67
if you are using wheel spacers they will wear out bearings
richee3
Just check and make sure the axle nuts are completely tight as well.
playr158
QUOTE (97lestyousay @ Apr 12, 2012 - 1:58 PM) *
it sounds like the hubs are toast, if you put a good bearing on a bad hub it will ruin the bearing in no time.
If I remember toyota recomends replacing both. There are some threads on this in suspension/brake forum.

^I agree with this, a bad hub will destroy bearings faster than you could imagine.
With the frequency of your issue, this is where I would start.
Special_Edy
What brand are you buying?
At the very least I would try to pick some up that carry a warranty. You should be able to find at least a 3 year warranty if not a lifetime warrenty so it will stop costing you $ everytime they burn up(which they shouldnt in the first place)
Have you been using a torque wrench when you install them? You can rent a decent one at the parts store or buy a cheapie for around $20.
purplegt4
Get an alignment. A caster problem can also prematurely wear your wheel bearings. Have you been changing one side at a time?
SiriusVirus
My bearings are under warranty. one hub has been replaced the other hasnt. Its costing me so much because I'm paying my cousin labor and having a shop press the bearing. Thanks I'm gonna replace one hub was previously replaced. My one friend was telling me how I'm supposed to replace both bearings at the same time. I have gotten an alignment done at just tires when I got my new tires. Hopefully after the new hubs everything will be fixed. Because I really want to start fixing up my car but all my spare cash has been going to pay labor on wheel bearings >_<. Thanks for the help everyone
mkernz22
getting both hubs, with the bearings and seal kits is going to cost you around $600. it was just over $200 for my passenger stuff
808celica
laugh.gif this comes no surprise to me I tear through hubs and bearings easily. Also see if they're pressing it correctly, sounds stupid but I had someone else press my drivers and another (the person I always went to) press my pass. and guess what........my pass. wears out. Not to say the guys doesn't know what he's doing. I'm just trying to trace every possible reason and that might be one of them.

Do what the other guys suggested:
-change hubs
-get alignment
-check axle nuts
-check the person doing the job

You have to remember a warranty is a manufac. defect on these things, it's not "oh it broke again 1 1/2 out I'm gonna go get another one". If something's causing the bearings to go faster most shops will not honor the warranty period, especially if its the 2nd or 3rd time this is happening.
bsamps4
Is your car lowered?
SiriusVirus
I get my bearings done cheap kind of... Auto Zone they dont check labels etc they are basically no questions asked heres your new bearing good luck. I just got one new hub because the mechanics doin my work busted the knuckle pressing a bearing. My cousin has been doing the work. My car isnt lowered either.. I'm gonna take my car to a mechanic and have then look at everything and see if they see something my cousin isnt seeing.
Bitter
What are you torquing the axle nut to?
Micky_lovescelica_noise
QUOTE (SiriusVirus @ Apr 12, 2012 - 12:44 PM) *
Okay so I've broken 3 driver side and 2 passenger side.. I've had this celica since August 2011... I bought it with broken wheel bearings. I thought it was my driving so after the last repair I began to drive more carefully. This time I broke both front ones at the same time! What do you think could be the reason I'm burning through wheel bearings??? Because this is just crazy. I've put more money in wheel bearings than any other repair on my car. Something more has to be wrong if I'm breaking a bearing which seems like every other month.. Please someone help. I have a 94 Celica GT

There are a number of potential possibilities, also once chronic damage has taken place often times a primary component can become out of spec and irreversibly corrected.
ie you might simply have to replace the hubs completly.

One user on here, nearly hit the nail square on. He mentioned wheel spacers. Only one aspect to consider. 3/4ths the vehicles I see rolling around are waiting diasters.
Suspension geometry is very important. Excessive negative camber will wear hubs like crazy, spacers alter geometry as well and thus must be corrected. Beyond that if
you have the wrong wheel offsets you'll find a slew of problems as well thus compounding other issues you might already have with ride height, caster, camber, amongest
other things.

Simply said, you need to correct your suspension geometry and or have exceeded the factory geometry.
I can't help you beyond this, not unless I know more about the specific set up you have.

PS,
It's often easier if people reply via my in box.
Mick -
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.