Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: direction of flow on ST Auto trans coolant lines?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
mandrek
Ok, so i'm about to drop this motor in today (if all goes well) and i got a new cooler for the trans, as well as an external filter and temp sensor. the filter is obviously one directional... so i need to know which line is the out and which is the in.. ive looked up all that i can on this, and found plenty on how to hook it up (which i dont need.. lol) but nothing that shows the direction of flow.. anyknow
ok, so this is looking at it from the front.. the motor is to the left.

any one know which of the two taped hard lines is the in and which is the out?

blue tape on left=in or out?

blue tape on the right=in or out?
Box
I'd think the one on the top is in, and the bottom is out. Don't hold me to it though. Best bet is to wait for someone with a ST auto to look at their car and get back to you on it. I couldn't find anything on Google about filter location or diagrams. Might be in a Haynes manual, would be in a shop manual.
Special_Edy
I suppose you could always fill the torque converter and put it on the trans in preperation of installing the transmission. Then dump a few quarts of trans fluid into the transmission and hand prime it by spinning the torque converter clockwise. Sooner or later you should get a flow of transmission fluid out of one the cooler lines and then you will know for certain which side is feeding the transmission cooler.

Or you could wait for someone to respond and hope that they are correct.
mandrek
thanx for the replies guys.. but perhaps i should have been a bit more clearer, sorry.. the filter is an in-line external auxiliary filter w/ a 3/8th nipple on both sides.. and is unidirectional.. so its not a factory filter (that one is already replaced with a new one as well) so the set-up would look a bit like this...

hard line out->temp sensor->filter->cooler->hard line in. so the direction of flow is critical..

yeah i googled for it too, and the hayens manual, the online BGB, and 6GC searches regarding the A246E have yealded no relevant info..

Special Edy.. i would be game for doing that, but im putting Royal Purpe's Max ATF and @ $14 a quart its a bit expensive to do that with.. that and i am fairly sure that turning the trans by hand will not get the pump to draw up any fluid..

good suggestion though. and if i was using cheap fluid i would simply fill her up and when i go to prime the motor's oil pump i would just leave those lines open and see which one it comes out of. and if i do not have a choice i may have to do somthing like that, but perhaps use some clear clean bottles and have some spair line and test it out that way.. but it would be best if i just had the info up front and not have to deal with the mess..
Box
Why can't there just be pictures of everything we need on Google? Could use cheap Wal-Mart fluid. If you had a way to run the engine on a stand, could do that and have some bottles below each line to catch any fluid. Corolla with the 7A-FE and automatic should be the same. Could try searching for that possibly?
Special_Edy
If I were to bet on it I would say its more logical that the hose to the left, the one that originates higher up and closer to the centerline of the trans, would be the one coming from the pump and the lower outer hose either dumps into the pan or the valve body. But thats absolutely 100% a guess.
mandrek
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Apr 13, 2012 - 3:46 PM) *
If I were to bet on it I would say its more logical that the hose to the left, the one that originates higher up and closer to the centerline of the trans, would be the one coming from the pump and the lower outer hose either dumps into the pan or the valve body. But thats absolutely 100% a guess.

yeah i was thinking the same thing.. and it WOULD make sense.. but when it comes to cars and what the engineers do i never go with what would make sense on the first try without documentation to support it.. smile.gif

also one of the two has a restriction if i put the blower (compressor gun) up to it and the other does not.. and that may be the key right there..

QUOTE (Box @ Apr 13, 2012 - 3:27 PM) *
Why can't there just be pictures of everything we need on Google? Could use cheap Wal-Mart fluid. If you had a way to run the engine on a stand, could do that and have some bottles below each line to catch any fluid. Corolla with the 7A-FE and automatic should be the same. Could try searching for that possibly?

IKR?!?!?!?!

and yes the rolla is the same.. but i searched with the paramiters of 7afe, A246E, celica st, etc and nothing can be found for this.. frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.