Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: injen short ram question...
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
celicaluva79
Was looking around on the net and i keep seeing injen short rams. It says 1.8, but it also says gt? So whixh one is it? Im looking for a good short ram for my st...thanks edit: ok nevermind... went to injen website, looks like its for gt only.
Micky_lovescelica_noise
QUOTE (celicaluva79 @ Apr 14, 2012 - 4:30 AM) *
Was looking around on the net and i keep seeing injen short rams. It says 1.8, but it also says gt? So whixh one is it? Im looking for a good short ram for my st...thanks edit: ok nevermind... went to injen website, looks like its for gt only.

I don't recommend wasting money on a short ram, the factory unit was fairly well balenced. Unless you've a rather complete set up then there is little point.
You would recieve better performance from a factory filter replacement. Even if you add a short ram, exhaust system, part X, Y, Z it's all merely wasted money.
You need to sort your management out first, if you can't control the parameters then you simply are compromised.

Your air box should be something like 157mm by 310mm.

If you make the measurements then I'll recommend the best possible solutions. The filtration to flow ratio is important.

Good luck -
Mick
celicaluva79
Thanks mick...i think ill take ur advice and just get a k&n replacement
Micky_lovescelica_noise
QUOTE (celicaluva79 @ Apr 14, 2012 - 8:58 AM) *
Thanks mick...i think ill take ur advice and just get a k&n replacement

PS,

Most of the K & N filters can be cleaned via oil and air, so besure that you clean these.
Otherwise they degrade and don't filter or simply clog up.

Avoid the foam filters, they can flow very well. However the filtration aspects aren't
great and they typically come aparts in bits like an old ( fish tank filter. )

You have basically three major filter groups, Paper, Foam, and Cotton.
Normally speaking, for race applications we will test a specific filter materials for flow and filtration.
Then each are tested in the specific air box. Typically I prefer Cotton, a little more expensive.

Good luck.
Mick -
trdproven
hold on, you were interested in a SRI, are you wanting looks sounds or? because i got a TRD drop in filter before (which i removed right away), never liked that you couldnt tell you had one unless you just want better air flow and nothing else. im sure the car can tell there some difference with a drop in but not you. i know an SRI does not really add much in hp but you gain looks and sound.
celicaluva79
Trd, yea, i was gonna do it but for sound, and hopefully better gas mileage. But, my car has 307,000 miles on it, so i dont drive it fast or anything like that...i know a sri would sound good, but if a drop in filter will give me the same gains ( almost nothing probaly), then i guess ill go the safe route. Damn, love that sound tho!
travisxcore
With my SRI I noticed it was more responsive on the throttle and shoves more air in during higher tons (it almost sounds like a turbo at 5k), but it also doubles as a CAI with a nice little flex piece it came with. But honestly, if I could go back, I would have just made a custom CAI intake/box, it woulda been cheaper and fit better (battery sits infront of it.
trdproven
yea drop in got no sound. probably wont even feel like you did drop in the drop in filter.
k-weaver
QUOTE (travisxcore @ Apr 15, 2012 - 4:01 PM) *
With my SRI I noticed it was more responsive on the throttle and shoves more air in during higher tons (it almost sounds like a turbo at 5k), but it also doubles as a CAI with a nice little flex piece it came with. But honestly, if I could go back, I would have just made a custom CAI intake/box, it woulda been cheaper and fit better (battery sits infront of it.

X2 on this. You will get better throttle response.
Box
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-0502
Once have money was what I was going to get. Made for the ST Celica.
HectortheRican
I have an Injen Cyborg SRI with a Fujita filter that trdproven up there actually sold to me a couple years ago. They're made for GTs, but they fit STs, too. It'll just be a bit snug against your battery is all. It sounds very nice and has been reliable.
trdproven
QUOTE (k-weaver @ Apr 23, 2012 - 1:30 PM) *
QUOTE (travisxcore @ Apr 15, 2012 - 4:01 PM) *

X2 on this. You will get better throttle response.

You either get an intake system or not at all. or just a drop in but thats it, air cleaners are pretty simple function. you dont want to do to much to gain so little, so either buy it or leave it alone.
RabidTRD
QUOTE (HectortheRican @ Apr 23, 2012 - 1:16 AM) *
I have an Injen Cyborg SRI with a Fujita filter that trdproven up there actually sold to me a couple years ago. They're made for GTs, but they fit STs, too. It'll just be a bit snug against your battery is all. It sounds very nice and has been reliable.

I have the same one and it felt great on both my Camry 5S and my Celica 5S. Just make sure you clean and oil it... or MPG goes WAY down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.