Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Idle Air Control
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Promasta
You guys warned me these screws would be tough to remove. I tried different philips screwdrivers, all they do is strip. Did anyone actually get them out? Or do I need a new throttle body? Not going to risk drilling them out because if I screw it up I don't know if I can get another throttle body for cheap. Don't want to spend a lot of money on this since a high idle is not a huge problem.

Special_Edy
Got a pair of vice grips? Spray some Seafoam Deep Creep or PB Blaster and let it soak in for 30 minutes then blast it again and use those vice grips. Maybe you could use the vicegrips and a phillips at the same time.
Oh and tap the screws gently with a hammer and centerpunch/screwdriver to try to break the the surface tension.
If all else fails dremmel them till you can fit a wrench over them or grind the head completely off and screw whats left out with a pair of pliers once the IAC is off
199celica
Only thing i could suggest that has helped me out was an impact driver find a friend that has one or someone get the bit that fits the best smack it a couple of times with a hammer it should come loose.
Bitter
Vice Grips.
Spider77
Impact driver first, vice grips second.
trdproven
i tried an impact, works well until it reached a screw that got obliterated. if you get stuck cus the screw rounds out, just get vice grips and go sideways. dont put the vice grip directly vertical you wont have leverage to turn it and it will come off.
Promasta
Thanks guys but i somehow fixed the high idle problem without cleaning out the IAC. Just cleaned the TB out with some dish soap and a rag, and shot WD40 into all the nipples and ports. That didn't do anything immediately after, I was still idling at 1600. But today I was screwing around and revving to 5000, and right after I did that my idle went to 700, which is perfect. I'm very confused by it, not sure if it was a coincidence or what, but i'm quite happy, it had been idling super high for months.
Galcobar
Sounds like the throttle body plate may have been stuck partly open, your cleaning loosened it, and cranking it open enough to bring the engine to 5000 RPM allowed whatever was gunking the hinge to be exposed to the vacuum and thus sucked out.
Special_Edy
QUOTE (Galcobar @ Apr 23, 2012 - 7:06 PM) *
Sounds like the throttle body plate may have been stuck partly open, your cleaning loosened it, and cranking it open enough to bring the engine to 5000 RPM allowed whatever was gunking the hinge to be exposed to the vacuum and thus sucked out.

In the future use Throttle Body Cleaner so you dont ruin your 02 sensor and catalytic converter. I have no idea what burnt wd40 does but the throttlebody cleaner is designed to be safe for EFI sensors
Promasta
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Apr 23, 2012 - 6:32 PM) *
QUOTE (Galcobar @ Apr 23, 2012 - 7:06 PM) *

In the future use Throttle Body Cleaner so you dont ruin your 02 sensor and catalytic converter. I have no idea what burnt wd40 does but the throttlebody cleaner is designed to be safe for EFI sensors

Yea TB cleaner would be better but WD40 is sensor safe as well.
199celica
quick advice don't use the straw... ripping apart a head because you were cleaning a throttle body sucks man
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.