Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7afe na build questions
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
celica74
After going through my options, rebuild, motor sway, new car, yada yada. A rebuild with some goodies right now is the best option for me expense and time wise. Although i think wed all agree a 3rd gen 3sgte swap would make us all have to change our pants. So heres my thought. I know im going to have to replace ever gasket and bearing, rings, and whatever i find beat to hell when i pull the 7a part(crossing fingers on this one). Id like to at minimum raise the compression a little. 10.5:1 should be a reasonable ratio to go with. I know throwing in 4afe pistons would do the trick just right. Id like some details if anyone knows for sure what year 4a pistons id need to go with, i know the wrist pin size is different depending on the year, and the steps to install them, i believe there press fit or maybe i have my a series motors mixed up. Ive also heard of guys boring the 7a to a 2.0l. That would be something id be interested in knowing how much youd have to bore over to achieve. And what that would do is i got it to a 2.0l, and put the 4afe pistons in in terms of comp. ratio. Not really good with the math of that so im hoping someone have help me out. And i think that last thing id like to cover is valves an springs. Has anyone built the head of a 7a for high rev. What did they have to do in terms of parts, and any shaving of the cams and what not. I think we can all benefit from having all this information all on a single thread.
mandrek
based on what you are wanting to do i would just say get a 4AGE and swap that in.. hi rev.. tuneability on the head.. etc.. all you should need for the swap would be the motor harness and ecu.. not sure about the mounts.. im sure some one can chime in on if the motor is a direct bolt-in or not..

your other viable option, (and i mean this since i am wrapping up a comepleat overhaul of my lil 7A as we speak) is to just do a proper rebuild with a few goodies.. break her in.. then go turbo..

after looking at all of my options, that is what im doing... and will fit what i want out of my car.. (fun DD, w/ weekend Auto-X'er)
celica74
I have a turbo and everything for it other then the manifold and oil lines. I tried that route 2 years ago. Got expensive and time consuming. Boost would be fun but idk if i wanna mess with it. A 4age black top would do the trick for sure, pricing wise it is alot. About 1400 for motor, trans, ecu and harness from what i can pull up. Then id wanna rebuild it with a new clutch and what not to save myself a possible headache down the road so thats more money.
celica74
QUOTE (mandrek @ Apr 24, 2012 - 10:23 PM) *
based on what you are wanting to do i would just say get a 4AGE and swap that in.. hi rev.. tuneability on the head.. etc.. all you should need for the swap would be the motor harness and ecu.. not sure about the mounts.. im sure some one can chime in on if the motor is a direct bolt-in or not..

your other viable option, (and i mean this since i am wrapping up a comepleat overhaul of my lil 7A as we speak) is to just do a proper rebuild with a few goodies.. break her in.. then go turbo..

after looking at all of my options, that is what im doing... and will fit what i want out of my car.. (fun DD, w/ weekend Auto-X'er)

Been reading into the 4age swap. Its pretty straight forward. Deff. Able to be done in a weekend. 7a trans can be used. I have read what other people say when said it done. The comments are "little to no increase over the 7a" and " no gain". Im guessing due to its lack of torque. It might only be beneficial if you completly gut the 6gc. Or build it. From what i understand beams is the na route to go. More money then i wanna spend. A 7a build for me seems like the way to go. I wish i had my original motor to pull apart and take my time with. Woild mean zero down time and more funds down the road.
mandrek
yup to all of it.. but 1400 is nothing for a swap.. and if you already have a bunch of the stuff to go boost, then i would insist that you go that rout.. no matter what you are going to spend money.. how much is up to you. and like i said what it is that you intend to do with the car wil dictate what direction you should go.. my own car is gutted from the front seats back.

oh, and if you look around you can find a long block 7a for around 250.. easily.
Smaay
i hope you have deep pockets cause you are just going to spend a ton of money for very little gains. the 4A-GE is not not worth it IMO. This is my opinion. just rebuild your 7A-FE, follow my guide in the stickys. total rebuild will cost you about 700 for engine parts and another 250 for a clutch. one nice thing is the 7A-FE uses the exact same clutch as the 1ZZ and 2ZZ so you have a ton of options. turn the distributor up to about 15 degrees and run midgrade gas. the car will be night and day. OR..... save your money and once i finish my V6 swap look into doing one of those. I will prove that a V6 swap will be half as much as a 3S-GTE
95CelicaST
And no lag with the V6 smile.gif
celica74
QUOTE (Smaay @ Apr 25, 2012 - 10:49 AM) *
i hope you have deep pockets cause you are just going to spend a ton of money for very little gains. the 4A-GE is not not worth it IMO. This is my opinion. just rebuild your 7A-FE, follow my guide in the stickys. total rebuild will cost you about 700 for engine parts and another 250 for a clutch. one nice thing is the 7A-FE uses the exact same clutch as the 1ZZ and 2ZZ so you have a ton of options. turn the distributor up to about 15 degrees and run midgrade gas. the car will be night and day. OR..... save your money and once i finish my V6 swap look into doing one of those. I will prove that a V6 swap will be half as much as a 3S-GTE

Haha smaay. Ive been following your thread for what? Almost a year now? I was hoping youd have it done by now and get everyone in on it. Can you use a 1zz or 2zz flywheel? That would make my day. Would love running a lightweight flywheel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.