Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine build
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Nemises
Great video for any noobs out their. You may not be able to follow everything but you can see in 7 minutes how an engine is put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-yose_yjsM...;feature=g-vrec
rave2n
Very cool video.
celica74
I love watching mr2 engine builds. Just the fact of lifting the car from the motor is histerical to watch.
Box
Very cool indeed. The only engine I've ever rebuilt was an old Cadillac OHV V8, that was easy. Today's engines, I'd be lost on setting the timing. DOHC I4 wouldn't be that bad, but DOHC V engines look like a total nightmare. 4 cams and crank I have to get in time with each other, that and with most if you get it off you snap the valves... Why I let my 3000GT go when it needed a rebuild...
Nemises
QUOTE (Box @ Apr 27, 2012 - 8:41 PM) *
Very cool indeed. The only engine I've ever rebuilt was an old Cadillac OHV V8, that was easy. Today's engines, I'd be lost on setting the timing. DOHC I4 wouldn't be that bad, but DOHC V engines look like a total nightmare. 4 cams and crank I have to get in time with each other, that and with most if you get it off you snap the valves... Why I let my 3000GT go when it needed a rebuild...

Not as bad as you think the timing markes make it all pretty much fool proof. (still not to be taken lightly) You probably noticed he spun the crankshaft a few times throuout the process to make sure everything is moving smoothly and correctly as a test before cranking. I rememeber when i was in the T ten program we were assembling 5S engines in about an hour. of course it helps being at a toyota institute with everything needed and ready to go right their. I wish I had my celi then would have been perfect building at the school.
Box
I was looking at doing the 6G72 in the 3000GT, looked like hell, the way you had to line everything up. No more DOHC V engines for me. tongue.gif Like I said, DOHC I4 would probably be fairly easy. Lucky for me all of the timing stuff was done to my Celica before I got it, don't have to worry about it for some time.
Special_Edy
The worst part about them is not having the space to work on them(like the two inches of clearance on the front of our engines).
If you have the engine on an engine stand its a breeze to work on
Box
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Apr 27, 2012 - 3:37 PM) *
The worst part about them is not having the space to work on them(like the two inches of clearance on the front of our engines).
If you have the engine on an engine stand its a breeze to work on

That too. No room on that GT to even think about working on it in the car. Didn't have access to an engine lift anymore either. At least with RWD, old ones anyway, you have room to redo timing with the engine in the car.
celica74
Most motors have some sort of device that will lock the cams in place once you get them spun to the correct position so its just a mater of getting the belt on.
Special_Edy
Lol I always roll the cams forward one notch, put the belt on with a little slack and then turn the cams back to 0°. Takes up the slack and makes the belt nice and tight.
Box
QUOTE (celica74 @ Apr 27, 2012 - 4:25 PM) *
Most motors have some sort of device that will lock the cams in place once you get them spun to the correct position so its just a mater of getting the belt on.

That'd be a nice feature to have.
199celica
QUOTE (Box @ Apr 27, 2012 - 3:41 PM) *

haha you should try a Volkswagen Jetta VR6 biggest pain in the @$$ i've ever dealt with
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.