Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To VVTi or not to VVTi?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
TRDCelicaFan
First of all, hello to everyone. I'm new to the site and so far I like what I see.

I'm from England and looking to buy a 6th gen Celica GT (3S-GE). The only thing I'm not sure on is whether I should grab one with VVTi or without. Whichever I eventually pick, I want to tune it to get the best performance I can. I like the idea of the VVTi model because it sounds like the flashier version of the two cars, but I don't know if it having VVTi will limit the extent to which I can tune the car. Will the prescence of VVTi restrict which performance parts I can use on the car, and how much I can fiddle with these, or the stock parts?

I've had a brief look at some 6th gen Celica parts on the market and the phrase "to fit the version without VVTi" cropped up quite a few times, which is what made me think of posting this topic. Any feedback you can offer on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
macavely
hey welcome to the site... well if thing you have to consider is how much money your going to put into your upgrades... if money is no worries for you then either is a good buy cause you can have any custom parts made, that you need or want..

since you are in the uk i think you have a lot more options then us over here in the states... GT-4 with that great powerplant(3S-GTE)..

you can also do a custom turbo on either version of the 3sge,,
Junior
anyone correct me if i'm wrong, but if you plan on changing cam shafts, then you'll lose vvti. I'm not aware of any aftermarket cams that give vvti.
west_minist
I believe that todaracing offer vvti cams. But for the 3sg, no. There may do now, but cannot find any on there site.

Either way, you may not lose that much when going to a big cams. Just tune for the engine sweet spot
BenMMellor
QUOTE (TRDCelicaFan @ Dec 31, 2003 - 5:51 AM)
First of all, hello to everyone. I'm new to the site and so far I like what I see.

I'm from England and looking to buy a 6th gen Celica GT (3S-GE). The only thing I'm not sure on is whether I should grab one with VVTi or without. Whichever I eventually pick, I want to tune it to get the best performance I can. I like the idea of the VVTi model because it sounds like the flashier version of the two cars, but I don't know if it having VVTi will limit the extent to which I can tune the car. Will the prescence of VVTi restrict which performance parts I can use on the car, and how much I can fiddle with these, or the stock parts?

I've had a brief look at some 6th gen Celica parts on the market and the phrase "to fit the version without VVTi" cropped up quite a few times, which is what made me think of posting this topic. Any feedback you can offer on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Hello matey.. the VVTI Gen6 being refered to is the BEAMS engine.. it a red topped engine block - very rare and any in the uk are all imports..

it will limit some of the tuning.. but not too much.. There's a guy who's imported one to sell on the uk club site - www.celica-club.co.uk
look in the forums on there...

good choice of Gen - got 2 myself.. If you want help in the uk there's a fair few of us.. !
TRDCelicaFan
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's been most useful. I never realised the BEAMS spec. engine was import only. I think I'll give the subject some thought before I make any decisions. But thanks again.

Oh, and Happy New Year!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.