Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sludge remover?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
kurt95gt
Is there any product you guys trust to help remove sludge build up from a motor other that ripping it apart an getting it hot tanks an rebuilding it.
Im having low oil pressure issues with my 1mz at higher rpms an i think it may be due to sludge buildup
Right now im think about using some seafoam first but never hurts to ask you guy your opinions

mak5603
Auto rx is what i am currently using on my Audi, so I guess you could say I trust it. Theres lots of info on the web, especially on http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php.

http://auto-rx.com/

From everything I've read, this is THE BEST approach aside from changing the oil pump and pickup line. Its more mild than seafoam or the marvel or whatever one they sell at auto parts stores. Those can actually remove too much too quickly and cause even worse blockage.
Box
Rislone Engine Treatment: http://barsproducts.com/catalog/view/2-eng...treatment-100qr
Bitter
Drop the oil pan dude. Probably have stuff gunked in the oil pickup, clean it right.
kurt95gt
Ok this is the plan
Im goin to drop the pan clean it an the pickup
Put the pan back on run a mild cleaner then drop the pan an clean everything again
kurt95gt
Anyone got a suggestion for how to clean some of the gunk out without pulling the entire engine apart
i dont care if i need to pull of stuff like the oil pan,valve covers or intake
I just dont want to gut the whole block an rebuild the whole thing yet
mak5603
Did you read my post...?
kurt95gt
I tried digging through that forum but its alittlr hard to follow on my phone lol
Box
http://www.seafoamsales.com/deep-creep.html

Can spray into with oil pan and valve covers off. Clean out what you can that way, then run a cleaner with fresh oil and filter.
RobbMeeX
Stop ****ing around and use Auto-Rx. Search my post. Don't use a "mild cleaner" unless you want to wash out the bearings. **** the bearings, rebuild it, or simply follow the Auto-Rx and be done.
RobbMeeX
www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82496&hl=
kurt95gt
How much does it cost
Box
Auto-Rx looks like really good stuff. Will have to try it myself when I get around to changing oil.
Special_Edy
Dont put anything in the oil, take the pan off and clean the pan and oil pickup. If you add cleaner youre just gonna knock all that junk loose and clog your oil passeges. Fill with trannsmission fluid and spin the engine over a bunch(dont start it!!). Let it sit overnight then drain and refill with cheap 5w-20. Run the engine till it warms then change the oil again with 5W-20. Go 200 miles, change oil and keep doing it at 500 mile intervals till it starts coming out clean.
Bitter
QUOTE (kurt95gt @ May 16, 2012 - 7:33 PM) *
Ok this is the plan
Im goin to drop the pan clean it an the pickup
Put the pan back on run a mild cleaner then drop the pan an clean everything again

Good plan. The Valvoline branded engine flush actually seems to work pretty good, comes in a 4 qt jug and is like a 0w-20 oil with some really strong detergents. you put it in with a clean filter, run the engine for 30 minutes, drain, new filter, fill with oil, 500 mile oil change, new filter and oil again. It poured in clear, came out milky black. you're probably fine just cleaning the pan and heads out, and running some good oil for a while.

So I looked, its not available to the public. Go figure!
http://www.valvoline.com/products/valvolin...ning-service/98

So much for their claim of not solvent.

Hazardous Components CAS-No.
KEROSENE 8008-20-6
ETHYLENE GLYCOL MONOBUTYL ETHER 111-76-2
AROMATIC HYDROCARBONS 64742-94-5
DIACETONE ALCOHOL 123-42-2
NAPHTHALENE 91-20-3
Concentration
>=70-<80%
>=10-<15%
>=10-<15%
>=1.5-<5%
>=0.5-<1%
kurt95gt
Got some thinking to do
I read Alot saying not to run any cleaners through the motor but read alot of good about the auto rx stuff too

Im kinda stuck between it an special edys way
Smaay
kurt, please man, just pull the engine and tear it down and do it right. then you can replace the bearings and rings and then you WILL have a fresh new engine. I know its alot of work, but its really not that bad. follow my teardown guide, then put it back together the opposite way. i have the complete toyota manual on PDF too i can send you.
Box
Why do it the right way when it can be done cheap and easy? laugh.gif Seriously though, I'd try cleaning it first before tearing it down and rebuilding. Either way it'll have to be cleaned, might as well try it now and see if it fixes it.
kurt95gt
At this point im just seeing what my options are guys nothings set instone yet
Bitter
Read the MSDS for AutoRX and see what's in it. You may be surprised.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/auto-rx-materia...et-t495882.html
Arsaces
I've read both sides of the fence with AutoRX and decided to buy it and use it. My car runs smoother and idles better now than before I ran it through. I am just finishing my rinse phase oil and I plan to put another bottle through when I change this oil out. If you know ahead of time that you are going to be cleaning out a lot of sludge I would recommend grabbing 2 oil filters and swapping one out half way through the cleaning cycle.

-Nate
mak5603
QUOTE (Arsaces @ May 17, 2012 - 6:54 AM) *
I've read both sides of the fence with AutoRX and decided to buy it and use it. My car runs smoother and idles better now than before I ran it through. I am just finishing my rinse phase oil and I plan to put another bottle through when I change this oil out. If you know ahead of time that you are going to be cleaning out a lot of sludge I would recommend grabbing 2 oil filters and swapping one out half way through the cleaning cycle.

-Nate

x2 on the double oil filters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.