Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 100-shot
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
powerkor
im in the process of upgrading my exhaust and my intake to perfermance type parts etc... i eventually want to install a 100-shot nos tank in the trunk but im confused on which parts I should upgrade and which I should leave.

I have a 97 ST and I've considered all my options, this seems to be the most reasonable and the most affordable. I will be going with a nitrous express model with 100-shot.

let me know if you have any suggestions or comments about this. thanks for your time.
Andason
yes. i like you already. welcome to the board. upgrading the pistons/rings couldnt hurt. a lot of the the needed nos upgrades are internal so exhaust and intake wont really matter a whole lot. also you'll need new spark plugs if you are shooting that high. I personally (the NOS master) would recommend using like a 50 shot and you shouldnt have to upgrade a whole lot.
powerkor
:-) thanks for the advice, but i really want to shoot for a 100-shot. I like workin on cars so why not do something useful, 50-shot might be good for a while, but in the long run i'll really want 100-shot so, why not go for that in the first place.

referring to 50/100-shot systems, can i easily upgrade from a 50-shot to 100-shot? Is it just like replacing the bottle or do i need a completely different system?

as for exhaust, i was told to go with a 2.5" downpipe, which i am having custom bent for me... can't hurt.

furthermore, i know i'll have to get non-platinum plugs that are 1 to 2 steps colder than stock... and thats fine for the pistons and rings, should I be worried about anything else?

and is there any brand/make of pistons that you would recommend?
Kwanza26
QUOTE (powerkor @ Jan 3, 2004 - 9:08 AM)
:-) thanks for the advice, but i really want to shoot for a 100-shot. I like workin on cars so why not do something useful, 50-shot might be good for a while, but in the long run i'll really want 100-shot so, why not go for that in the first place.

referring to 50/100-shot systems, can i easily upgrade from a 50-shot to 100-shot? Is it just like replacing the bottle or do i need a completely different system?

as for exhaust, i was told to go with a 2.5" downpipe, which i am having custom bent for me... can't hurt.

furthermore, i know i'll have to get non-platinum plugs that are 1 to 2 steps colder than stock... and thats fine for the pistons and rings, should I be worried about anything else?

and is there any brand/make of pistons that you would recommend?

If you like working on cars... you should already know these things... especially when you plan on running nitrious. Nitrious is good for nothing, aside from straigh-line runs, which can get pretty boring. You say you wanna run a 100 shot? Heh, this isn't Fast and Furious here. A 100 shot requires a lot of serious build-up, both internally, fuel-wise, and timing-wise. It's equivalent to about 20psi on a turbo. It'll be an expensive build-up... unless you're Paul Walker rolleyes.gif

IMO, graduate from the straight line, and if you're good, an underpowered car can hand over very powerful vehicles their arses in corners... everyone is so concerned about speed and power, but with a bad driver, speed and power means jack...
Digndoug
dude i hope you like working on cars alot, cause after 100 shot, you gonna be rebuilding that engine.... dont use nitrous, unless your mototr is really built for it, an then its still a stupid thing to do...
Jason
Your going to need Forged Internals to play with Nitrous alot.
SpedToe169
If thats what you really want rolleyes.gif.....100 is going to take a built motor but you should be able to do a 50 or 75 shot on a stock motor. The 75 will definitely require a clutch, the 50 might. Like you said, watch the plugs. Make sure its a wet kit. I would highly suggest a direct port kit for something that big. Equal fuel and nitrous distribution is CRITICAL for the engine to live.

From your posts, it sounds like you need to do a LOT more reading about nitrous before you even attempt this. If you think the size of the bottle matters then you have a lot to learn.....I would highly suggest doing some searchin online, there are a lot of good resources about this. Perhaps buy a good book on it. I would suggest 'Forced Indution Performance Tuning'. It has several good chapters on nitrous and should tell you about everything you need to know.
powerkor
sounds good, i dont know lot about nitrous, and i do like working on cars, it doesnt mean i know that much.

i just helped my friends rebuild their cars, we really never messed around with nos or anything. some like nos, some dont, like i said im looking into my alternatives and it seems to be the most reasonable. As for a nos system, i don't plan on installing it all by myself. My friend owns a car shop in a town called portsville that told me he could hook me up.

i have alot of learning to do, but i don't think im totally wrong on this. 100-shot will take alot of work, but that's what I want to do anyways.
powerkor
i have recently considered the option of the gt-4 engine swap with my car... however, if your opinion, would it be worth swapping the engine into my 97 st... i would have to change alot, and I assume i'd need quite a bit more than the front clip... like a new differential, etc... or would it just be better to find an older mr2 for sale?

i have a few thousand saved and could easly do it in the summer. If anyone can give me insight if you have done this with your car it would be much appreciated.
94Toy
search, search, search wink.gif
powerkor
what would you do?

1) try to upgrade the AT engine that the 97 st houses
2) try to swap in the turboed GT4 engine
or
3) sell the st and buy an mr2

i think all three are feisable, im just asking what you would do and why. thanks
DustyBurns30
i think what everyone is trying to say here, is that there is no clear cut answer for your question. If you really want some advise just do what most of us have done, make your own decisions, do a little trial and error, learn about the car. if you have several thousand to burn then you are ahead of the game. Plus, your already on the right track, you found this forum, and we will try to help you with your technical problems, but do like everyone says and research it.

also, you dont need to get an old mr2, there are plenty of options with the celica.

good luck.

had to give the old pep talk.
boosted_K2
it depends what you are going for and what kind of funds you have.

money aside:
A)do a full 7A motor build and run your 100-shot if you are into dragging.
B) swap the 3sgte into the celica if you like going to car shows and just showing the car off and having fun just driving and are a FF drivetrain fan.
C) sell it and buy a MR2 if you want to go track racing.

if money is your main concern:
A)nitrous itself is very cheap HP, but it comes at the high cost of extreme engine wear if you dont put any money into the motor itself. and if you do put money into the motor, its no longer cheap HP.
B)3sgte swap is probably your most expensive option (if you deduct selling the celica from the mr2 option) but its a very unique setup that few people have and everyone seems to lust over.
C)MR2. if you are getting the NA version... you are wasting your time, you should have kept the celica. the car is not a daily driver, it has next to no cargo room, no passanger room, and is a pure bred sports car of the nastiest kind. dont bother if you dont have a daily driver. and learn the brake pedal is no longer your friend.

i chose to buy my MR2 turbo because i have a daily driver, i want to get into autocross and track racing this year, i didnt have enough money to swap the 3sgte in the celica, and nitrous is a really stupid idea for a road racing car. i dont regret buying the mr2 for a second... i just wish i had my celica as my daily driver. lol
powerkor
thanks for your opinions biggrin.gif
FallenHero
I say build the 7a and TURBOCHARGE!
OOBE
Nice ball bearing T3/TO4B, forged pistons, forged rods, big injectors, nice external wastegate, big fuel pump, good quality gauges and a good tuner = one fast 7A-FE wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.