Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission poured out all the gear oil
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
m2736185
I was pulling out of the gas station driving off switching into third then I realized the car wasn't accelerating....at first I thought it was the clutch, but that was changed 3000 miles ago. I pull over and. Gear oil is pouring outta the transmission. Its not the plugs so I'm guessing it has to be the axel seal and with my luck its the passenger side one.

That could be the only thing that would make it pour our fluid right?
Bitter
or the case cracked.
m2736185
Shhhh**t.....so this may have been my fault. It turns our the bracked to the passenger side axel came loose and the axel popped out. I can only hope no damage was done to the tranny. Idk how the hell that happened I tightened it as tight as I could get it
Special_Edy
It should be fine. The most immediate damage with no fluid would be the syncronizers but they would simply refuse to let you change gears while the engine was on if there was no fluid.

Reattach the carrier bearing and ALWAYS ALWAYS use a torque wrench. Maybe a little blue locktight this time around wouldnt hurt either. Make sure you fill it to 2.6 quarts I believe, no more or less than spec. Alot of us are using Pennzoil Syncromesh, our trannies love the stuff.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out
m2736185
Yea, I have been using Pennzoil. I got the axel off in like 5 minutes...the seal I have been battling for 3 hours and still havent gotten it out. Its stuck in there goood. Not much room to work my seal puller.
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Jun 9, 2012 - 1:38 PM) *
It should be fine. The most immediate damage with no fluid would be the syncronizers but they would simply refuse to let you change gears while the engine was on if there was no fluid.

Reattach the carrier bearing and ALWAYS ALWAYS use a torque wrench. Maybe a little blue locktight this time around wouldnt hurt either. Make sure you fill it to 2.6 quarts I believe, no more or less than spec. Alot of us are using Pennzoil Syncromesh, our trannies love the stuff.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out

Ok. Thanks for the info. You answered the question I had. I switched my passenger axle out last week and some of the tranny fluid poured out. So I should refill it with pennzoil synchromesh? Right? How do you refill Manual Transmission anyways? Is it like Hondas where you unbolt the top bolt from the side of the tranny from under the car?
vile_v
yes it is. takes about a little less than 3 quarts (75w-90). If you take a look at my cv axle diy you can see the where the fill plug is.

Same thing happen to me, unfortunately i wasn't so lucky. My transmission gave out.
m2736185
Man these things can never go smoothly. I got the seal out then the new one was a pain in the ass to get in...its not flush but I got it in as far as I could. Now the axle won't go in. It started raining, but hopefully a 2x4 and a hammer will do the trick and if I'm lucky the transmission wll be in one peace
ILoveMySilly97
Is it normal that my fill and drain plug socket size isn't 17mm but it's a 24mm? I have a 97 celica gt.
Special_Edy
QUOTE (ILoveMySilly97 @ Jun 17, 2012 - 12:30 PM) *
Is it normal that my fill and drain plug socket size isn't 17mm but it's a 24mm? I have a 97 celica gt.

Yes mine is that size on my 94 GT
ILoveMySilly97
QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Jun 17, 2012 - 10:01 PM) *
QUOTE (ILoveMySilly97 @ Jun 17, 2012 - 12:30 PM) *

Yes mine is that size on my 94 GT

Ok. Just wanted to make sure. Thought the previous owner replaced the oem nuts when he had the clutch swapped.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.