Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new Scion Tc debut out today ..
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
95WRC
HEY,
Live webcast at 12 noon EST.. Mon Jan 5th.. also will have replays at same link if you missed it live ..

http://www.scion.com/live/live_events_upcom.html

please post your thought after debut ..

NEWS ***** CLICK ON Tc now and it is already shown on Scion site ..

http://www.scion.com/drive/gallery/drive_tc_gallery.html

LETS HERE THE OPINIONS ...
macavely
could the Tc stand for former Toyota Celica???

and why i like it.. it would be something i would buy

and it will have TRD support otional SC..
sinner96ST
hahaha optional TRD supercharger.

****ing beautiful. i'm watching the broadcast right now. i want one.

"well" under 20 grand too.
macavely
i think i might found my next car..
95WRC
HEY,
i have been chatting with some Uk buddies who own GT4's and they all say it is a TURD..

do we really need ANOTHER FWD TOYOTA ..

i am a GEN X (30 ) and i can remember back 10 years ago when Toyota made sports cars... they have totally forgotten about GEN X...

200HP w/ TRD S/C what a joke !!!!!

LuDaChRiS
looks like a corolla + civic (the new ones) to me...not feelin it at all. damn.
Uppitycracker
I think Im feeling it, may be something to consider down the road
Uppitycracker
I dont know about anyone else but I like all the scions, I think the xA would look good done up. They are different for sure and I thought they were ugly at first but they have character. biggrin.gif
macavely
QUOTE (Uppitycracker @ Jan 5, 2004 - 2:48 PM)
I dont know about anyone else but I like all the scions, I think the xA would look good done up. They are different for sure and I thought they were ugly at first but they have character. biggrin.gif

i'm with you.. i like them all to the box the egg and the coupe look hot
saleeka
wow- i think it looks nice- some unique features too- panorama glass roof sounds cool to me. And where is the engine from (4 cylinder highlander mabey)? A 2.4 with 159 hp and 162 lb sounds quite respectable for stock. I will have to say though from the doors back it looks kinda like a squished tiburon...
Uppitycracker
QUOTE (saleeka @ Jan 5, 2004 - 12:34 PM)
wow- i think it looks nice- some unique features too- panorama glass roof sounds cool to me. And where is the engine from (4 cylinder highlander mabey)? A 2.4 with 159 hp and 162 lb sounds quite respectable for stock. I will have to say though from the doors back  it looks kinda like a squished tiburon...

ya i noticed that, especially the tail lights, but oh well, still looks better, but I just noticed vvti":/ still be nice with a turbo or that trd sc, but it probably runs the same price as the one for the celica/matrix.
VlaCelica
U guys in the usa are very lucky, i wish they would release this TC worldwide. frown.gif

saleeka
ohh another thing- is it a true coupe or does it have a hatch?
Uppitycracker
QUOTE (saleeka @ Jan 5, 2004 - 12:54 PM)
ohh another thing- is it a true coupe or does it have a hatch?

Its a 3door hatch
Benevolence
under 20 grand and can fit 5 people, is this really the celica replacement?
Hym3n
I'm in love with the front headlights, they are VERY similar to the new BMW's. As for the back-end.. faijkdnfksjnfksjdf is about all I can say. The taillights are bleh, the bumper is bleh, but I'd be willing to bet that TRD will release the initial body kit for it, and it'll make this car look pretty badass, especially with some minute fender changes.. it wouldn't be too difficult to fix this thing up. And, if the engine bay has a 2.4L engine, doesn't that mean we can fit slightly bigger/smaller engines in there as well.. 3S-GTE all over again? lol..

-Brian
Jeremy1210
I Dunno. I would have to see it and drive it in person. Again though, whats with the low HP. I do like that the torque is higher which is good. But Im not sold. If this is the Celica's replacement, I'm hurt. I mean really. Other companies are making cars that have 200HP for 20K. Why the hell can't toyota get off their lazy @$$es and step up to rule the market mad.gif .
Damn. I just want toyota to make a new engine that is worthy to say I have this engine. What happened the the developers in the late 80's and early 90's??confused.gif

Its not fair...I guess I'll just keep hoping for an awesome celica in the future rolleyes.gif
GeEkBoY
2925 lbs for a manual... that is not acceptable for a toyota. Is Scion turning into a traditional domestic???

2004 celica GTS Scion TC
curb weight 2500 lbs 2925
length 170.4" 173.2"
width 68.3" 69.1
height 51.4" 55.7
wheelbase 102.3" 106.3

this can not replace the celica.( thumbsdown.gif ) They just may stop sending it to the states. Do like the styling, here's to hoping that weight is a typo...
Silver94CelicaOwner
Wow....

Im really liking that design alot...kinda reminds me of a Audi/RSX/Tiburon of sorts. Either way, its a really fresh and clean looking car that looks like it could be alot of fun with some serious tuning potential once the aftermarket companies respond to it. Ive really began to like the whole Scion concept and I really am impressed with the whole car, it just really calls out to me and seems like what i look for in cars in a material form. I cant wait to look into one in the future because its really got me going now....i just hope that a test drive will get me going even more though.
Kwanza26
QUOTE (GeEkBoY @ Jan 5, 2004 - 10:59 PM)
this can not replace the celica.( thumbsdown.gif ) They just may stop sending it to the states. Do like the styling, here's to hoping that weight is a typo...

I highly doubt it's the Celica replacement. It's not a sports car with that engine and weight. IMO... it's a sporty sedan... like the Civic coupes. Weight probably isn't a typo. That engine is pretty big... and with those torque figures, weight isn't an issue for the manufactures. Still, I hope Toyota does produce a Scion with a *real* performance oriented powerplant... and not those 'fe' chuggers.
97sccelica
saw it in person today at the LA auto show.

looked pretty good.

only one 7gc there
Silver94CelicaOwner
QUOTE (Jeremy1210 @ Jan 5, 2004 - 3:22 PM)
I Dunno. I would have to see it and drive it in person. Again though, whats with the low HP. I do like that the torque is higher which is good. But Im not sold. If this is the Celica's replacement, I'm hurt. I mean really. Other companies are making cars that have 200HP for 20K. Why the hell can't toyota get off their lazy @$$es and step up to rule the market mad.gif .
Damn. I just want toyota to make a new engine that is worthy to say I have this engine. What happened the the developers in the late 80's and early 90's??confused.gif

Its not fair...I guess I'll just keep hoping for an awesome celica in the future rolleyes.gif

Well, after the dealership available TRD supercharger option you could have 200 horses for "much less than 20 grand"...so its really not that bad.
97sccelica
QUOTE (Silver94CelicaOwner @ Jan 5, 2004 - 4:19 PM)
I Dunno.  I would have to see it and drive it in person. Again though, whats with the low HP. I do like that the torque is higher which is good. But Im not sold. If this is the Celica's replacement, I'm hurt. I mean really. Other companies are making cars that have 200HP for 20K. Why the hell can't toyota get off their lazy @$$es and step up to rule the market mad.gif .

Its not fair...I guess I'll just keep hoping for an awesome celica in the future  rolleyes.gif

Well, after the dealership available TRD supercharger option you could have 200 horses for "much less than 20 grand"...so its really not that bad.

doubt that, a trd SC will probably cost about $3k

even if the base price for the TC is $15k, by time you pay tax and registration and then $3k for the SC, it will be over $20k, not well under $20k

aside from the srt4, what car that costs $20K makes 200hp? base price for an RSX type s is $23k
hioctane
n/m you guys are talking about the new scion brand lol
Silver94CelicaOwner
QUOTE (97sccelica @ Jan 5, 2004 - 5:28 PM)
QUOTE (Silver94CelicaOwner @ Jan 5, 2004 - 4:19 PM)
I Dunno.  I would have to see it and drive it in person. Again though, whats with the low HP. I do like that the torque is higher which is good. But Im not sold. If this is the Celica's replacement, I'm hurt. I mean really. Other companies are making cars that have 200HP for 20K. Why the hell can't toyota get off their lazy @$$es and step up to rule the market mad.gif .

Its not fair...I guess I'll just keep hoping for an awesome celica in the future  rolleyes.gif

doubt that, a trd SC will probably cost about $3k

even if the base price for the TC is $15k, by time you pay tax and registration and then $3k for the SC, it will be over $20k, not well under $20k

aside from the srt4, what car that costs $20K makes 200hp? base price for an RSX type s is $23k

Youre probably right on that one....TRD is damn expensive. It might come pretty close price wise with other cars though, especially if you get a used one after a couple years (much cheaper)and then put the SC on....but yea, thats not the same as a new 200 horsepower car. The 2.4 liter that it uses is probably found in a Toyota though, which might have aftermarket turbo or sc kits available other than through TRD.
Drocay
I like the front is hot as hell.
Drunken_Style
The potential of the vehicle is there.

Engine Double overhead cam (DOHC)16-valve VVT-i 4-cylinder
Displacement 2.4 Liters
Bore x stroke
Compression ratio
Valvetrain Double overhead cam (DOHC) 16-valve with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-I)
Induction system Multi-port EFI
Ignition system Electronic with Direct Ignition (TDI)
Horsepower 159
Torque 162
Transmission
5-speed manual overdrive Standard
4-speed electronically controlled transmission (ECT) Available
Brakes Power-assisted ventilated front/rear disc with Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS)

I think with the right tuning it could be a fun car. If the gearing is good the car should be able to move fairly well. Hell the new Accords with the 4 cylinder engine (160 hp, 161 tq, 2.4 liter) will keep up with alot of the 6 cylinder engines out there. My sales manager has a 2003 BMW 325 and he could barely pull away form the 4 cylinder Accord. It looks pretty good but I'll wait until I see one in person before I place final judgement on it.

Daniel
Kwanza26
QUOTE (Drunken_Style @ Jan 6, 2004 - 3:19 AM)
I think with the right tuning it could be a fun car. If the gearing is good the car should be able to move fairly well. Hell the new Accords with the 4 cylinder engine (160 hp, 161 tq, 2.4 liter) will keep up with alot of the 6 cylinder engines out there. My sales manager has a 2003 BMW 325 and he could barely pull away form the 4 cylinder Accord. It looks pretty good but I'll wait until I see one in person before I place final judgement on it.

The 2AZFE isn't a good performance motor. It has good performance when it comes to driving around in the low-mid-range, but when it comes down to racing, I think the high-end power will power will not be all that great. This engine is no comparison to the new Accord 4 cylinders either. The Accord 4 cylinder is an overbored version of the RSX motor (K series iVtec motors)... so it has plenty of top-end potential. This engine was originally designed for trucks, to replace the ancient and bulletproof R series and then moved on to replace the 5SFE in the Camrys. All in all, even though it puts out good power, performance-wise, it'll deliver it in undesireable places.
97sccelica
yeah, F heads make for lower power and lower potential and mod response.

hence the 7aFe and 5sFe
95WRC
hey,
maybe this is a distraction until 06' and Toyota will have a real sports car back on the lot .. i could only hope..

any car with a FE series motor will never be a true preformance sports car..
the heads are just not tuned to all out power .. these motors are for torque loving US market and are great for powering down on- ramps or passing ..

I would have been much happier with a corolla T sport as i want a hatch for daily beater ..

i sure hope a car guy at Mr T approves a car and stops letting bean counters run company like they do at GM...

Cody
QUOTE (95WRC @ Jan 5, 2004 - 10:26 AM)
HEY,
i have been chatting with some Uk buddies who own GT4's and they all say it is a TURD..

do we really need ANOTHER FWD TOYOTA ..

i am a GEN X (30 ) and i can remember back 10 years ago when Toyota made sports cars... they have totally forgotten about GEN X...

200HP w/ TRD S/C what a joke !!!!!

The thing though, is that I read in Car and Driver back in the day, that they were starting the Scion line of cars to appeal to the younger peoples...so I don't imagine that they put too much into making a monster engine for these cars. Afterall, the bigger the engine, the more expensive the car, and teenagers work at Burger King.
boosted_K2
it needs a kia logo... what a pos... toyota lost its style and sense of driving for pleasure.
boosted_K2
ok... well the more i look at it the more it grows on me... but i still feel toyota is loosing its style and emphasis on the driver.
Uppitycracker
QUOTE (boosted_K2 @ Jan 5, 2004 - 10:41 PM)
ok... well the more i look at it the more it grows on me... but i still feel toyota is loosing its style and emphasis on the driver.

Well thats why its a scion, its not supposed to be a camry or avalon, its meant to be an affordable quality car which it is. They are meant to be cheap on gas and I think they have out done themselves putting 160hp/trq in the thing. And those torqe numbers are nice for variable valve timing if you ask me. I wouldnt mind picking up a used xA some day and tune it up, they actually look hot done up.
saleeka
when you think of it, this car is really nice for under 20 grand. For me the car looks good outside, even though its a collage of new volvo s40 front with hyundai tiburon rear- for me the real make or break will be what the interior looks like... That said, with the corolla XRS on its way for toyota, i doubt anything that resembles the celica will make its way back to the states for the next few years... I think that when i want a new car ill be waiting for alfa romeo's return to the US in 2006 and hoping the 147, or its replacement, makes it here...
macavely
why is everyone pissed that toyota is coming out with some 300hp rwd monster.. last time they did that they didn't sell casue the people that wanted them just couldn't affored them...

so they come out with this new line of cars that are cheap in price but still have toyota qaulity..
boosted_K2
did you mean "ISNT" mac?
macavely
QUOTE (boosted_K2 @ Jan 6, 2004 - 2:36 AM)
did you mean "ISNT" mac?

yea thanks for the correction.
boosted_K2
NP just makin sure i understood what you were saying. and yea i definatly see your point. japanese "supercars" dont sell well untill they are on the used car market for a while. seems the MRS is super enough... oh well.
H8DC3lica94
it looks good. But i dont know why toyota has 3 differnt companies that produces no real powered cars. i get why they have lexus as their luxury cars. and i thought that scion was gonna be the economical cars. But it seems that the tC is lookin into retiring the celica. I pray that i am wrong on that statement. But if it means to resurect the all mighty supra.....
boosted_K2
as akimbo had stated in the NAIAS thread, he spoke to a toyota engineering rep at the show and the guy said they had no plans to dismiss the celica, nor bring back the supra... so i guess thats the best we have to go on right now... ill see what i can dig up when i go there tomorrow.
H8DC3lica94
supra or no supra, toyota better start producing a high end car for me within the next 5 years. Planning on getting and tunning it after the 6thgen is done. and after more looks into the tC, its not looking any better. they could have done better with teh interior and the rear. They did good by putting the console back in front of the driver and out of the center where the cd player with the lcd screen is suppose to be. but the the whole thing looks a bit cheap.
something in a kia or a geo if you ask me.user posted image
neoklis
Well, i think its quite good. Yes it comes a bit short regarding the bhps but for the price of it, i think its a much better car than the 7gc. I wonder what will the 8gc will be.

I just cant stand you guys in the states. Why do you complain so much? 20K for the wages in the states is nothing. In my country we dont have the option for all the models in the world as you do and we have to pay double the price due custome duties. And we pay for gas 4 times as much as you. (more than $4 a gallon)

The strategy for the three different Toyota brands is quite scientific. There is a very good businees reason for that. In my country we get JDM used cars but people pay quite a bit more for their car to be a Lexus RX300 than a Toyota Harrier which are basically the same cars.

Scion is quite an interesting concept. we will have to wait and see more models to be able to form an opinion but so far i am quite pleased with the idea.

if only they include a high powered car to compete with the RX8! ! ! for under 20k. That would be perfect.
Ivan
I think this new Scion is just a 3-door variant of well-known Toyota Premio/Avensis/Carina/Corona family. Nobody calls them sporty cars, because they are somewhere between Corolla and Camry. I read that Corona was the first Toyota at the American market and Americans completely ignored it.

user posted image

By the way, there are powerful RWD and AWD Crowns and MarkII.

macavely
QUOTE (neoklis @ Jan 13, 2004 - 7:14 AM)
Well, i think its quite good. Yes it comes a bit short regarding the bhps but for the price of it, i think its a much better car than the 7gc. I wonder what will the 8gc will be.

I just cant stand you guys in the states. Why do you complain so much? 20K for the wages in the states is nothing. In my country we dont have the option for all the models in the world as you do and we have to pay double the price due custome duties. And we pay for gas 4 times as much as you. (more than $4 a gallon)

The strategy for the three different Toyota brands is quite scientific. There is a very good businees reason for that. In my country we get JDM used cars but people pay quite a bit more for their car to be a Lexus RX300 than a Toyota Harrier which are basically the same cars.

Scion is quite an interesting concept. we will have to wait and see more models to be able to form an opinion but so far i am quite pleased with the idea.

if only they include a high powered car to compete with the RX8! ! ! for under 20k. That would be perfect.

i agree with you neokils peope in the states sure do complain alot about what they don't have and arent greatful for what they do have... toyota isn't the 3rd largest car company in the world for no reasons..

give toyota a chance... look at all the great cars they have come out with though out the years... and remeber the lexus SC (maybe stands for Supra Coupe?) isn't that still a toyot Rwd 240something hp sports car?
Hym3n
SC430? Surely you're mistaken. Sure, it has a nice 300hp. But, the $63,225 pricetag for the base model is a little bit.. much?

-Brian
macavely
QUOTE (Hym3n @ Jan 13, 2004 - 9:23 AM)
SC430? Surely you're mistaken. Sure, it has a nice 300hp. But, the $63,225 pricetag for the base model is a little bit.. much?

-Brian

well see thats another thing everyone wants performance but that coast money if you want it with quality they way toyota makes cars.. they make cars that will last a good 20 years... so a 300hp car is going to be big hit on the wallet
neoklis
Japanese point of view of interchangeability of parts will be the key.
If you have an alternative to change the engine and put a much more powerfull one will solve alot of problems.
i.e. GT4 engines that can be put eaisly on quite many toyota cars.

That is only probable though if you also have good quality (ie toyota quality) If the base car is not built with quality in mind, then your efforts will be pointless and dangerous as many honda and mitsubishi owners that were involve in accidents know.
boosted_K2
looks better in person, and the interior looks very nice in person.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.