Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broke down... Questions while sitting here.
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
black93hardtop
Stock 1994 Celica GT (zero modifications). Manual trans.
Driving along and the car shuddered 3 times before dying and not starting back up. Cranks normal, sounds healthy, good fluids and battery voltage. I can hear the fuel pump running. Cranks but won't fire with starting fluid. Assuming its not the fuel system at this point.
The car is in very fine condition mechanically and routinely serviced. New coil 3000 miles ago. ECU was swapped 10k ago because of a bad capacitor. No prior problems. No service engine codes.
Any ideas where to start?
Thanks,Brian
mkernz22
I'm thinking spark plugs, wires, or distributor since you have fuel, and air going to it and it's trying to crank over
black93hardtop
Update: all fuses look good... No loose wires or disconnected plugs that I can find.
black93hardtop
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Jul 17, 2012 - 11:22 AM) *
I'm thinking spark plugs, wires, or distributor since you have fuel, and air going to it and it's trying to crank over

Never had even the slightest miss fire and besides the 3 shudders, it died rather quickly. I doubt it's plugs, wires, cap or rotor.. But it could very well be the pickup in the distributor. Or the coil even though it's new. The car was only running 5 minutes from a cold start. It's right down the road (4 miles or so).
black93hardtop
Car is back home... I'll begin diagnosis soon. Still open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Brian
black93hardtop
Had a good spare igniter. Swapped and no change. Next..
Neon90424
you can hear the fuel pump running? can you crank without plugs and smell the fuel though?
95CelicaST
Pull a plug and hook it up to the wire while it sits on the valve cover. Have someone turn it over and watch for spark.

Check that your timing is still correct.
mak5603
Check your cap and rotor. One time my rotor must not have been torqued well enough and ended up breaking somehow and I had similar shudders and lost the ability to start the car back up after shutting it off.
black93hardtop
Well I fixed it yesterday. No spark... I pulled the cap and there was quite a lot of oil in there that wasn't when i changed the coil (bad seals)... Not to mention my not very old coil had a huge crack in it. I pulled the distributor and decided to swap it with a new one. No more oil leak and it started right up! Timed it and its back on the road! Thanks for all the help guys.

-Brian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.