Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: going to do a 3rd gen 3sgte swap soon
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
gotian
So as my topic stated I am getting ready to swap engines. I was originally planning on doing this around january but since my 5th gear just went out in my tranny I decided to push it forward. So I will be buying the engine along with the uncut harness and ECU. It will also be coming with the transmission. So here are my questions where I need help, and yes I've searched and searched and found info here and there but nothing really compiled all together. Car info: 94 GT Manual

First question, I know some people prefer to go the route of buying the complete front clip, but at almost a grand more it would be rather difficult for me to do that all in one shot, so what other parts would I need to do this swap.

Next question, I was planning on using my stock tranny but in the condition its in I would rather not. I know its possible to convert the AWD tranny to work with the FWD set-up so if someone can pass along the link of the how to that would be great.

Now obviously this isnt going to happen over night, we are going to be doing this in our shop so labor costs will be down. I am in no real rush so while you guys help me out I will keep searching for more and more info.

Thanks in advanced everyone
rave2n
In the past I would argue just get the engine set, but after sourcing all the parts mine did not come with...that grand is adding up quickly. Unless you can find one with all the extra missing tidbits...which is quite a few, or have the knowledge and confidence to bypass some of the items, which is only relays that you can bypass. You will still need to get a few items....With the clip, you will have everything, and extra for stuff that can and will break during the swap.

To the AWD trannie...I suggest getting another s54, or e153. Some..not here, have converted the e154f which held for sometime, but in the end still failed from the research I've done.

Short list of what will be missing without getting a clip:
Rad w/lines
MAP sensor
IC Relay
IC Pump & Lines
IC Heatexchanger
Potential Ignitor gone
Fuel Pump relay
Engine House wiring
Injector resistor pack
FP resistor pack

Also with the set you have a chance of getting a cut harness, which is a whole another means of trip to hell.

if you get the clip and go another route for the IC, you can sell off the OEM IC for some change, as well the e154f trans. Which i just sold mine for 300, should be picked up tomorrow.
gotian
Thanks that was a huge help, anyway you can provide an extensive list of parts I would need? As far as the tammy goes should I just rebuild mine then and keep it to make the swap easier? As far as the intercooler goes I love the top mount but I'm going to go front mount. The wiring harness will come uncut
Lil-Joe101
QUOTE (gotian @ Jul 23, 2012 - 2:26 PM) *
Thanks that was a huge help, anyway you can provide an extensive list of parts I would need? As far as the tammy goes should I just rebuild mine then and keep it to make the swap easier? As far as the intercooler goes I love the top mount but I'm going to go front mount. The wiring harness will come uncut

Make sure it does come uncut and it comes with an ECU. I read the discription of my engine over and over, even called before I bought it to confirm everything would be there and uncut. But Im on the road trip to hell myself trying to source out everything.

Everything in rave2n's list plus an ECU n harness.
gotian
okay cool, and just to make sure, since I have a GT I can use the same GT mounts for it right? And if I decide to swap to another tranny then I have to make sure I use matching axles.
gotian
okay so, I'm going to rebuild my transmission and use it for my swap. So on to the next question what clutch would you all recommend, im going to be autocrossing once this is done. I know I have to make a hybrid clutch, so any help here would be good.
Benny
Have you actually priced the parts from the list that was gave to you?
And there availability? Just curious cuz I just finished my swap making a big mistake buying engine harness and ecu.
Plan on sending harness to Tweak he did mine $500 parts if new ordered from toyota your map sensor is $850 fuel resistor pack $250 coil another $80 and I will save u money on your front mount wta go to eBay get pump and front mount for a cobra if you buy used Toyota one it be around $500 as you can see your cost just keeps raising and that's not everything, I wish I saved another G and bought clip but if u need help or advice pm me

QUOTE (gotian @ Jul 23, 2012 - 4:31 PM) *
okay cool, and just to make sure, since I have a GT I can use the same GT mounts for it right? And if I decide to swap to another tranny then I have to make sure I use matching axles.

Depending on what tranny u use u have to get clutch cables and do some mods cuz I'm assuming u talking bout the mr2 tranny? Which when looking for parts u can use alot of mr2 3s parts
gotian
what pump are you referring to? and ive seen map sensors for around $200 or less
Benny
QUOTE (gotian @ Jul 24, 2012 - 9:05 PM) *
what pump are you referring to? and ive seen map sensors for around $200 or less

With the map sensor, yea u can get them for around 200 it took me a month to finally find one on eBay from hong kong and it was 200 shipped but anyway the pump is the one that goes in between the front mount and top mount to circulate the fluid. Trust me save money for clip. What u planning on doing with hood? The ones u see on eBay are usually pretty messed up and they are aluminum so most body shops can't fix them
gotian
QUOTE (Benny @ Jul 26, 2012 - 7:50 PM) *
QUOTE (gotian @ Jul 24, 2012 - 9:05 PM) *

With the map sensor, yea u can get them for around 200 it took me a month to finally find one on eBay from hong kong and it was 200 shipped but anyway the pump is the one that goes in between the front mount and top mount to circulate the fluid. Trust me save money for clip. What u planning on doing with hood? The ones u see on eBay are usually pretty messed up and they are aluminum so most body shops can't fix them

The hood, I want to get a GTfour hood but since I'm going front mount is it really necessary? Extra airflow to the engine is always a good thing but its not going to keep it from running properly. Besides after the engine comes and we put everything together I will still have to get other things such as new suspension and brakes before I start autocrossing this thing. Right now I just want to get the big pocket drainer out of the way then everything else will fall into place. As it is right now the car is sitting in my garage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.