Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 95 Celica bogs down on low gears
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
5_Speed_95_Celica
I just purchased 8/1/2012 a GEM of a garage kept 95 Celica Hatchback ST with 5 speed manual transmission.
The car was registered and driven until 8/2008 and garaged until 8/1/2012. The proud owner started it and drove it around the block so the car has not been completely idle for 4 years but very little miles driven. 165K miles on this baby. The car started right up and drove like a dream during my test drive and on the sweet drive home.
This morning 1st and 2nd gear acted like it was not getting enough gas (bogged down) and jerked as if I did not know how to drive a stick. But once it gets going is fine on 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. The car idles fine and accelerates fine when not in gear. I reached 80 MPH on the interstate (could have gone faster) with no issues at all. Once at the stop light the low gear issues persist. Not clear as to what it could be. Any help? kindasad.gif

UPDATE......
Apparently the gas that had been sitting there for 4 years caused the issue. With a fresh tank full of gas the issue is now gone! The gas gauge was also stuck as it did not register a full tank after fill up. It has slowly moved past half a tank so it may take a few fill ups before it gets used to the up and downs. I love this car!!!!
RabidTRD
Throw some decent fuel stabilizer/injector cleaner like Seafoam in the tank with your next fillup. Your sending unit probably has a stuck float and some gunk from old fuel stuck to it.
dudeofchaos
^ x2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.